• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JO_75

Hall of Famer
More games coming for Watson.
Goodell sees the backlash for the 6 game suspension, he's going to increase it to a full year, perhaps an indefinite suspension. Watson's camp continues to believe he did nothing wrong... dude needs to serve jail time period. Major amount of years in jail while the Browns have to eat Watson's cap for the entire jail sentence.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Goodell sees the backlash for the 6 game suspension, he's going to increase it to a full year, perhaps an indefinite suspension. Watson's camp continues to believe he did nothing wrong... dude needs to serve jail time period. Major amount of years in jail while the Browns have to eat Watson's cap for the entire jail sentence.
Yeah, I dunno about jail time. The fact that TWO grand juries were like, nah bruh we good, should tell you that jail time is out of the question. Goodell wants a season, but I'm sure Watson and the NFLPA are gonna fight to reduce it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I dunno about jail time. The fact that TWO grand juries were like, nah bruh we good, should tell you that jail time is out of the question. Goodell wants a season, but I'm sure Watson and the NFLPA are gonna fight to reduce it.
The NFL really put themselves in a no win situation. They need to throw out the current conduct policy and start from scratch with clearly defined guidelines.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

The thing that makes me outright dismiss the grand jury aspect is that the actual grand jurors are coming forward saying they were not shown everything.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Weirdo

Aaron Rodgers opened up about his journey to self-love and how ayahuasca, a psychoactive tea containing the hallucinogenic drug DMT, helped him reach the point he’s at now.

The tea has been used for thousands of years for traditional healing purposes in Central and South America.

The Packers quarterback joined Aubrey Marcus, the founder of supplement company Onnit, on his podcast this week to discuss what this mental health journey has been like for him.

“To me, one of the core tenets of your mental health is that self-love,” Rodgers said. “That’s what ayahuasca did for me, was help me see how to unconditionally love myself. It’s only in that unconditional self love, that then I’m able to truly be able to unconditionally love others. And what better way to work on my mental health than to have an experience like that?”

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah. I would have preferred if he didn't cave to the hypocritical mob and just let them go fuck themselves, but they did.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The NFL really put themselves in a no win situation. They need to throw out the current conduct policy and start from scratch with clearly defined guidelines.
I mean, at the moment, it's a win/win for the NFL. They actually look great. Think about it...
1. The NFL never really wanted independent arbitrator anyway. They were fine with process as is. NFLPA and public lobbied for one. They got it, and now they hate it, because the judge came in lenient. Now Roger gets to save the day by dropping the hammer of Thor on Watson.
2. If the NFL is victorious, they look like the heroes who took a stance against a predator and did the "right thing".
3. If the NFL gets overruled, they get to stand up to the public and say "look, we tried".
4. And the whole time, if the NFLPA goes to court, the NFLPA and its players look like the heartless organization that doesn't care about womens rights, since they're the one's litigating for a lighter punishment.

The only thing that makes the NFL look bad, really, is the fact that their previous precedents were viewed as "too lenient" to the public. Which is why the judge sided with precedent.
Also brilliant move by her. She basically handed down a ruling that says "I think this guy is a piece of shit, but your terrible precedent means I have to be lenient with him, so now I'm sending it back to you to establish new precedent or do nothing".

Both the NFL and Sue Robinson have played this very well so far.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have been saying it for months that the NFL cannot let Watson take the field this year. They are trying to fix the image their image and letting him take the field at all makes them look they do not care especially you have MLB laying the hammer down. The NFL has nothing but upside is fighting to make this a harsh suspension. Unfortunately as a Ravens fan this is actually good for the Browns. Not this year of course but they were never going to win anything this year but getting the contract to toll means the Browns go from having major cap problems to having an amazing cap situation that lets them go all in next year.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Clearly the NFL wants a year's suspension. So that's what's gonna happen and then the appeals will begin and this whole thing is going to be a spectacle thru-out the season; which is exactly what the NFL wanted to avoid by giving the disciplinary job to arbitrators.

For me, this is just funny from the perspective that this is the Browns in the middle of this. They are just a disaster. It's almost like they can't help themselves in making decisions that have the huge potentiality of biting them in the ass. It's almost comical on how not to run an organization. Personally, I think Watson is Kyler Murray SUPER Lite much less Colossal Lite to Lamar! So the fact that they went out and got him how they did, all this backlash from other owners about the guaranteed contract for THAT guy, and the debacle that this is now becoming in the legal process for the league, just makes me laugh. The Land of Cleve, what did they do to piss off the football gods so? lol

It won't be long before the league announces a year's suspension.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean, at the moment, it's a win/win for the NFL. They actually look great. Think about it...
1. The NFL never really wanted independent arbitrator anyway. They were fine with process as is. NFLPA and public lobbied for one. They got it, and now they hate it, because the judge came in lenient. Now Roger gets to save the day by dropping the hammer of Thor on Watson.
2. If the NFL is victorious, they look like the heroes who took a stance against a predator and did the "right thing".
3. If the NFL gets overruled, they get to stand up to the public and say "look, we tried".
4. And the whole time, if the NFLPA goes to court, the NFLPA and its players look like the heartless organization that doesn't care about womens rights, since they're the one's litigating for a lighter punishment.

The only thing that makes the NFL look bad, really, is the fact that their previous precedents were viewed as "too lenient" to the public. Which is why the judge sided with precedent.
Also brilliant move by her. She basically handed down a ruling that says "I think this guy is a piece of shit, but your terrible precedent means I have to be lenient with him, so now I'm sending it back to you to establish new precedent or do nothing".

Both the NFL and Sue Robinson have played this very well so far.
The NFL looks anything but great ....
They are about to get their ass kicked in court when the NFLPA sues them for seeking anything longer than the recommended suspension . The evidence isn't there to hit him harder. So eventually they will settle on something between 6-10 games. The NFL gave Tom Brady a 4 game suspension for deflating footballs, meaning sexually assaulting a woman and deflating footballs aren't to far apart in the eyes of the NFL.

Add in what is now sure to be a year long spectacle in the legal system bringing continued attention and the NFL couldn't look any worse in this situation. Their only saving grace is the general publics attention span cant stay on an issue for longer than a week before the next shiny option distracts them.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The NFL looks anything but great ....
They are about to get their ass kicked in court when the NFLPA sues them for seeking anything longer than the recommended suspension . The evidence isn't there to hit him harder. So eventually they will settle on something between 6-10 games. The NFL gave Tom Brady a 4 game suspension for deflating footballs, meaning sexually assaulting a woman and deflating footballs aren't to far apart in the eyes of the NFL.

Add in what is now sure to be a year long spectacle in the legal system bringing continued attention and the NFL couldn't look any worse in this situation. Their only saving grace is the general publics attention span cant stay on an issue for longer than a week before the next shiny option distracts them.
Yeah, I totally disagree. I think the NFLPA is going to get absolutely eviscerated in a court room. Like literally be made fools of bad.
The thing is that a federal judge, in any lawsuit from NFLPA, isn't going to give two shits less about the length of the punishment. That's actually wildly outside the scope of any lawsuit they bring. A federal court isn't going to care about whether there's evidence or not for an arbitrary suspension. The only question they're going to ask is "what does the CBA say".
The only thing they're going to care about in the slightest is whether either side broke policy that was established in the CBA. No federal court is going to care about anything else. We know this, because in the history of these lawsuits, they've never cared about anything else, which is why the NFL has like a 100% success rate in these cases.

Federal courts are notoriously uncaring about labor disputes arising from collectively bargained issues. In most cases, they just send to an arbitrator, because they don't want to waste their time with it.
Also the reason why you see so much info about where the filing happens being so important. NFLPA will lobby for a pro-union judge, who will attempt to say that the NFL isn't acting in good faith or blah blah blah. NFL will just pick any normal judge who will look at this and say "OK, you both collectively bargained for the Commissioner to have the power to do whatever he wants. He did. Get out".

The latter is what's going to happen. The literal only "victory" for the NFLPA, pending facts and circumstances that nobody has coming to light, is that they'll try to trot out evidence of Owner mishaps and lenient rulings in their favor to make the NFL look bad. End of day with that, its a PR problem for the NFL, but not a legal one.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As expected
I never disappoint.
In all seriousness though... I don't understand why people think this is "the one" the NFLPA wins. They literally never win any of these lawsuits. They're like 0 for a million. Brady went to court and lost, and he had like actual physics on his side. Like thinking Brady deflated footballs has as much scientific backing today as saying Covid isn't real and that it's just a government conspiracy. There was literally no science against him, AND HE STILL LOST IN COURT.

And perhaps more comically... a "win", for the NFLPA, is a six game suspension, and the whole world thinking that a) Watson is a predator and b) the NFLPA hates women. That's what a "win" looks like.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I totally disagree. I think the NFLPA is going to get absolutely eviscerated in a court room. Like literally be made fools of bad.
The thing is that a federal judge, in any lawsuit from NFLPA, isn't going to give two shits less about the length of the punishment. That's actually wildly outside the scope of any lawsuit they bring. A federal court isn't going to care about whether there's evidence or not for an arbitrary suspension. The only question they're going to ask is "what does the CBA say".
The only thing they're going to care about in the slightest is whether either side broke policy that was established in the CBA. No federal court is going to care about anything else. We know this, because in the history of these lawsuits, they've never cared about anything else, which is why the NFL has like a 100% success rate in these cases.

Federal courts are notoriously uncaring about labor disputes arising from collectively bargained issues. In most cases, they just send to an arbitrator, because they don't want to waste their time with it.
Also the reason why you see so much info about where the filing happens being so important. NFLPA will lobby for a pro-union judge, who will attempt to say that the NFL isn't acting in good faith or blah blah blah. NFL will just pick any normal judge who will look at this and say "OK, you both collectively bargained for the Commissioner to have the power to do whatever he wants. He did. Get out".

The latter is what's going to happen. The literal only "victory" for the NFLPA, pending facts and circumstances that nobody has coming to light, is that they'll try to trot out evidence of Owner mishaps and lenient rulings in their favor to make the NFL look bad. End of day with that, its a PR problem for the NFL, but not a legal one.

I think that people are forgetting that this isn't like Brady/Elliott. Nobody is actually asserting that Watson is "innocent" or that the process itself was "unfair" - just that the unprecedented suspension shouldn't be longer than every other suspension for horrible things players have done. I'm not convinced the NFLPA files suit against the NFL because (a) Weeks 1-6 are already locked in for the suspension and (b) I doubt the NFL extends the suspension to more than 12 games - to preserve that Texans-Browns Week 13 matchup. An appeal just drags it out and Watson wouldn't have anything to gain since he'll still be suspended during the time the appeal is probably being decided anyway. The personal conduct policy is super broad and gives the NFL pretty much unlimited power to suspend players as they see fit, but like you said - the NFLPA agreed to the policy and procedure, so I'm not sure what argument they'd make in court.