• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

" University of Utah student was arrested Wednesday after she allegedly threatened to detonate a nuclear reactor on campus if the Utes football team had lost to San Diego State over the weekend"

A true fan.....I can see @Ellicottraven doing this if the Ravens don't pay Lamar. Got any spare nuclear reactors sitting around?
think I may have one in my storage room. Let me go check...

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Who else would he mean? The media doesn't negotiate contracts on behalf of the Ravens. He probably doesn't even know who he means because its just another dumb hot take. There's nothing wrong with Lamar not having an agent, but the "Lamar vs the Man" narrative is BS. Its Lamar Vs the Ravens front office and I'm sure EDC wishes Lamar wanted less money, not that he had an agent.
If you don't think how Lamar is handling this affects the league I don't know what to tell you. If more qbs start going this route there could be a huge shift in power dynamic. Plenty of agents will work deals with one player to help out a franchise down the line with another player's contract. The agents and FO work hand in hand in plenty of situations. This is why I think the media is making such a big deal about it and will usually be them pushing the narrative he's making a mistake doing it himself.

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you don't think how Lamar is handling this affects the league I don't know what to tell you. If more qbs start going this route there could be a huge shift in power dynamic. Plenty of agents will work deals with one player to help out a franchise down the line with another player's contract. The agents and FO work hand in hand in plenty of situations. This is why I think the media is making such a big deal about it and will usually be them pushing the narrative he's making a mistake doing it himself.
Maybe, maybe not. Contracts have been handed out since Watson and none of them are Watson like. There will likely be three more this offseason with Herbert, Lamar, and Burrow. Seems almost a lock Burrow wont get a fully guaranteed topping Watson when looking at the Bengals financials and history of being cheap. Maybe Lamar or Herbert , well see. My money is the owners have collectively drawn the line in the sand and its not happening.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll also say this. Derrick Henry isn't looking all that great either this year. Looks like he's slowed down. Only averaging 3.1 yards per carry through 2 games.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But what's the shift in power dynamic though? It'll never go beyond the QB position, because no team values any other position as close.
QBs have had the leverage for a long time. That's why their growth rate in compensation is so much higher than practically any other position, and why even mid-tier QBs get paid more than elite players at every other position.

The only power dynamic shift will be towards guaranteed contracts, and IF that happens, Owners will respond with shorter deals. You won't see the 6,7,8 year extensions anymore. Because the first owner that does it, and it backfires on him, will scare off every single other Owner.

Plus, how many QBs are really going to be "worth" fully guaranteed deals to their employers? Like Jerry Jones is never giving a 5 year, fully guaranteed deal, to Dak Prescott. Not under any scenario. Not based on what he's shown on the field. The list of QBs who would have actually earned fully guaranteed deals is very, very, very small. Owners aren't going to start handing them out like candy. The players will never have that kind of power.