• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What Are Your Favorite TV Shows?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Probably the best piece of sci-fi I've seen since D9. It's even better than the original IMO.

oh in terms of world building and general film making im not sure there is a better sci-fi film - id instantly put this film into the class of metropolis and 2001: a space odyssey in terms of being a seminal genre film

as much as bladerunner the original is a good film and did some amazing things in terms of world building that changed the way we view and make sci-fi, i think this film surpasses it by quite some distance and actually improves and adds to the lore of the original

its that rare franchise sequel that is an excellent film, adds to the lore, has respect for its source and does not diminish the original in any way (in fact it enhances it)

i left that film and instantly wanted to see it again

i genuinely think its close to perfect...

Inqui

Pro Bowler
The Deuce, new show on HBO.

Created by David simon(the wire) starring James Franco and a lot of the same actors from the wire.

One episode in it seems to be about the NYC pimp game in the 70s, Franco is an honest man but a gambler, so idk how he fits in yet, but he's obviously the "main character". Although in typical David Simon fashion, main character is a relative term, it's following a bunch of characters from every side of the law equally.

You can feel the wire lingering in this show, It's obvious Simon made it. Gritty, realistic, no soundtracks, no flashbacks or over the top editing.

I didn't even finish the pilot because it's 90 mins, but halfway through and it seems like it's gonna be a really good show. Would recommend it to anyone who liked the wire(which is anyone who's seen it)

Beware though, these hookers they're using are not the most visually appealing, it's realistic, not glamorous. And dick warning as well, I was pretty annoyed that they felt it necessary to show what they showed at some points lol
I don't know if I should thank you or be mad at you for bringing this show up. I checked it out and I was instantly hooked. Like you say it's gritty and realistic and all the characters are extremely well done. But I feel like the main lady (I forget her name - the one working without a pimp) is going to die in the season finale. I'm just curious to see what kind of character Aiden Gillen (Baelish/Carcetti) is going to play, if the trend of Wire actors appearing continues.

Speaking of The Wire, I've been rewatching that recently as part of my quest to find excuses to avoid studying matrices. I forgot how engaging and realistic (or real-feeling - I've never met a Baltimore drug dealer so it could be all off base for all I know...) the characters are. Season 4 especially deserves big ups in this fan's opinion.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't know if I should thank you or be mad at you for bringing this show up. I checked it out and I was instantly hooked. Like you say it's gritty and realistic and all the characters are extremely well done. But I feel like the main lady (I forget her name - the one working without a pimp) is going to die in the season finale. I'm just curious to see what kind of character Aiden Gillen (Baelish/Carcetti) is going to play, if the trend of Wire actors appearing continues.

Speaking of The Wire, I've been rewatching that recently as part of my quest to find excuses to avoid studying matrices. I forgot how engaging and realistic (or real-feeling - I've never met a Baltimore drug dealer so it could be all off base for all I know...) the characters are. Season 4 especially deserves big ups in this fan's opinion.
gillen doesnt appear in season 1, every actors name was released before premier, and his name wasnt in it.

i actually stopped watching after the second episode, i mean the show was great from what i saw of it, but honestly it made me uncomfortable as shit watching it, gross fu manchus banging wrinkly run down prostitutes like its nothing, unnecessary dickshots, that shooting scene in the 2nd episode made me chill on it lol. ill start watching again but yeah that was just too real for me.

The deuce is amazing so far but yeah it definitely goes further than TV MA if you know what I mean. It's borderline x rated which makes sense given what they're trying to portray.

Btw the new season of Curb is fucking amazing. Larry and Leon haven't lost a beat.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hmm not sure why I haven't looked at this thread yet.

Prison Break hands down my all time favorite show. Lost and Breaking Bad were also very good. Just started watching GoT so that might be up there soon as well

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hmm not sure why I haven't looked at this thread yet.

Prison Break hands down my all time favorite show. Lost and Breaking Bad were also very good. Just started watching GoT so that might be up there soon as well
I enjoyed Lost as well, but it got s little crazy by season 3 or 4, but I was hooked at that point

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
LMFAO. So they couldn't find anyone better to play Mufasa in the new (unnecessary and desperate) Lion King live action movie so they cast James Earl Jones to be Mufasa... Again.

So you cast James Earl Jones but not Jeremy Irons. Good one disney.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
LMFAO. So they couldn't find anyone better to play Mufasa in the new (unnecessary and desperate) Lion King live action movie so they cast James Earl Jones to be Mufasa... Again.

So you cast James Earl Jones but not Jeremy Irons. Good one disney.

to be fair i think its much like darth vader - such an iconic voice that literally any other person trying to play that character will end up doing a poor impression of james earl jones so why not keep him

and tbf this wasnt new news - we've known that earl jones would be mufasa for months

K-Dog

MVP
FOX is doing "A Christmas Story " live.

It looks horrible. It sounds like a horrible idea.
What is it with this new "live remake " stuff?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I did the same thing on Saturday. I was thinking about stopping after 4 or 5 episodes and then somehow ended up watching them all. Such a great show.

I’ve been good - I’m watching only an episode a night - tbf part of that is I liked the first series but I never got the hype with it - i enjoy it but don’t think it’s unbelievable so I don’t feel like I need to watch all the episodes at once

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
FOX is doing "A Christmas Story " live.

It looks horrible. It sounds like a horrible idea.
What is it with this new "live remake " stuff?
I'll tell you
hqdefault.jpg

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I’ve been good - I’m watching only an episode a night - tbf part of that is I liked the first series but I never got the hype with it - i enjoy it but don’t think it’s unbelievable so I don’t feel like I need to watch all the episodes at once
Same, I'm absolutely enjoying it and it's just very fun to watch, but it's not like I'm left craving for more at the end of every episode.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Same, I'm absolutely enjoying it and it's just very fun to watch, but it's not like I'm left craving for more at the end of every episode.

Exactly - it’s not like game of thrones or a show like that where I’m talking about it for a week just wanting the next episode but it’s a show I enjoy

Tbh I find stranger things a little slow to get going - same with a few tv shows at the moment - I really think that big blockbusters are getting me more excited than big tv which is the first time that’s happened as a general rule for a few years