• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Man, if Hollywood keeps his otherworldly speed at ~180, he's going to absolutely go off this season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Man, if Hollywood keeps his otherworldly speed at ~180, he's going to absolutely go off this season.
Hollywood is giving me major Steve Smith Sr vibes. Short and rocked up strong, with world class speed and quickness, and excellent skill and all around catching ability.

I’ve been saying all offseason, Im more hype for Hollywood than any ravens player this year, he’s gonna arrive this year and it’s gonna be major, I’m talking 1400+ yards and 20+ YPC major. I believe he’ll end up in next years top 50(not that it means much though)

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Hollywood is giving me major Steve Smith Sr vibes. Short and rocked up strong, with world class speed and quickness, and excellent skill and all around catching ability.

I’ve been saying all offseason, Im more hype for Hollywood than any ravens player this year, he’s gonna arrive this year and it’s gonna be major, I’m talking 1400+ yards and 20+ YPC major. I believe he’ll end up in next years top 50(not that it means much though)
Man I just wish he had that same fire on the field like Mighty Mouse. Miss his and Boldin's attitude. Gonna take your lunch money and eat the lunch in front of you

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Man I just wish he had that same fire on the field like Mighty Mouse. Miss his and Boldin's attitude. Gonna take your lunch money and eat the lunch in front of you
Take your spork and break it.

I think Hollywood is going to end up having a bit of a chip, Lamar’s gonna rub off on him. He’ll never be anything like Steve Smith because that dude had like a rare amount of aggression lol, but I think the same fire and swag we saw from lamar this year is gonna come out of Hollywood too.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Calais Campbell strikes me as the ideal guy to mentor interior rushers, he’s an extremely physical rusher and very adept with his hands. Madubuike has absurd potential and I’m really happy to hear he’s under Campbell’s wing

I remember reading about how he was a mentor to all the young Jag players. Josh Allen had a great rookie season and gave credit to campbell in taking him under his wings. I'm definitely excited that J-Mad gets a great teacher to train under. He's built like a truck.

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvi...edits-big-brother-calais-campbell-for-success

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbs said its Proche's job to lose when asked about the punt returner situation. I'm surprised he said that outright. I know Proche is known for his hands, but I didnt much returning clips on all the highlight videos I've seen of him. That's alot of faith in a rookie 6th rounder, especially with no preseason games.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Harbs said its Proche's job to lose when asked about the punt returner situation. I'm surprised he said that outright. I know Proche is known for his hands, but I didnt much returning clips on all the highlight videos I've seen of him. That's alot of faith in a rookie 6th rounder, especially with no preseason games.

He said it’s “his job to win” which to me is harbaugh saying he’s a guy they’re liking for the role but he’s gotta seen it.
I remember reading about how he was a mentor to all the young Jag players. Josh Allen had a great rookie season and gave credit to campbell in taking him under his wings. I'm definitely excited that J-Mad gets a great teacher to train under. He's built like a truck.

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvi...edits-big-brother-calais-campbell-for-success
Anyone who saw what I had been saying about madubuike knows I was a really big fan, I think me and Rossi were his 2 biggest supporters and we both had a first round grade on him. I don’t see a gigantic difference between him and Ed Oliver, honestly I don’t, and they both played in less than favorable conditions in college which may have limited their production, for instance Ed Oliver played almost strictly 0-1 tech when he’s clearly a 3 tech, and madubuike was almost never solo blocked, he fought off double blocks basically the whole season. Every time he was singled up, he shredded the front, and he did it from all alignments.

he’s the guy that is getting lost in all the hype with Queen and dobbins and duvernay being exciting names, but madubuike could end up the best pick the ravens made this year, Harrison is another guy who’s getting lost among these more exciting names.

He said it’s “his job to win” which to me is harbaugh saying he’s a guy they’re liking for the role but he’s gotta seen it.

Anyone who saw what I had been saying about madubuike knows I was a really big fan, I think me and Rossi were his 2 biggest supporters and we both had a first round grade on him. I don’t see a gigantic difference between him and Ed Oliver, honestly I don’t, and they both played in less than favorable conditions in college which may have limited their production, for instance Ed Oliver played almost strictly 0-1 tech when he’s clearly a 3 tech, and madubuike was almost never solo blocked, he fought off double blocks basically the whole season. Every time he was singled up, he shredded the front, and he did it from all alignments.

he’s the guy that is getting lost in all the hype with Queen and dobbins and duvernay being exciting names, but madubuike could end up the best pick the ravens made this year, Harrison is another guy who’s getting lost among these more exciting names.

I'm pretty excited about the entire draft class

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm pretty excited about the entire draft class

Yeah, the whole class is pretty exciting to think about. Well, besides the 2 interior Olineman, but thats because of the position lol.

The Ben Bredeson pick is probably my least favorite. But that's more due to me being scarred with us drafting Chris Wormley with Chris Godwin still on the board. Now I just cant help but think every Michigan player we'll draft is just us trying to please Harbs with 1 pick so he can stop bugging. Khalid Kareem or Alton Robinson were 2 EDGE prospect I was hoping for that went a couple of picks later.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Calais Campbell strikes me as the ideal guy to mentor interior rushers, he’s an extremely physical rusher and very adept with his hands. Madubuike has absurd potential and I’m really happy to hear he’s under Campbell’s wing

you'd hope that maybe jaylon ferguson might get something out of calais too

but i love madubuike being under his wing - very different athletic builds but madubuike has the lateral quickness to pull off the types of moves that campbell can perform with a combination of agility and outrageous length

rossihunter2

Staff Member

occasionally i just go back to the madubuike tape and get so excited - we've not had a player with those traits at this position maybe in the history of the ravens - now that's not to say it'll work out but it's hella exciting

and that point about him being doubled vs singled is a great one and against LSU especially (note this is one of the best offences in CFB history) where he had 2 day 2 IOL leaning on him all game often as a tandem with no help from the rest of the defensive front and the one or two plays where they left him singled he would dominate and cause havoc enough that they'd go back to doubling him

that's not to say there isnt room to improve - when you're that impactful you're going to face double teams and you cant just rely on talent around you and scheme to beat those double teams (or take them away from you) - you have to find ways to split them or beat them and while there is some tape of madubuike doing that i'd say that's an area of improvement

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, the whole class is pretty exciting to think about. Well, besides the 2 interior Olineman, but thats because of the position lol.

The Ben Bredeson pick is probably my least favorite. But that's more due to me being scarred with us drafting Chris Wormley with Chris Godwin still on the board. Now I just cant help but think every Michigan player we'll draft is just us trying to please Harbs with 1 pick so he can stop bugging. Khalid Kareem or Alton Robinson were 2 EDGE prospect I was hoping for that went a couple of picks later.

bredeson id be a lot happier about if his arms were an inch longer - he's a technically good prospect with a good mentality and some good tape but i really worry that he'll get victimised because of his short arms

tyre phillips could be massive (if you'll pardon the pun) for us in the future but the more i look at our backup tackle spot i think he's going to ride the bench as a rookie as the primary tackle backup as well as having the flexibility to backup at guard too - my guess is they spend a lot of time early in camp switching phillips to be right-sided vs left-sided so that he can compete for the RG spot but also more naturally be able to cover the RT spot (i assume if the worst happens and ronnie goes down that we'd move Orlando to LT at this point but i could be wrong)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think proche wins the job - everyone wants him to win it and he's got great hands and a clear personality that suits hard-work
i dont think he's going to be electric because i dont think he has the long-speed to house many punts but he'll be steady and secure and tbh that's enough given the offence we've fielded last year (and hopefully this year too)

Simba

Staff Member
I think the UDFA streak is in major jeopardy of being over, pending health. Just doesn't seem to be much path to the roster this year, but also no teams are going to see these guys in preseason games or even joint practices. Following up on Harbaugh's comments, they're going to rely on veterans early this year, which could spell doom for the young guys trying to make a mark.

Looking down the roster, Eli Wolf is obviously in the best position but I'd think they'll lean Scarff as of now.

RB, WR, OL, DL, ILB, CB, and S all look pretty full as it currently stands.

I guess you could make an argument for McSorley vs. Huntley, and maybe one of the OLBs plays their way on, but it's deep there too (Judon, McPhee, Ferguson, Bowser, Ward). I don't know. I'm just not seeing much of a path right now for anyone but Wolf, especially since all of this work will be behind closed doors with no NFL tape to show other teams.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the UDFA streak is in major jeopardy of being over, pending health. Just doesn't seem to be much path to the roster this year, but also no teams are going to see these guys in preseason games or even joint practices. Following up on Harbaugh's comments, they're going to rely on veterans early this year, which could spell doom for the young guys trying to make a mark.

Looking down the roster, Eli Wolf is obviously in the best position but I'd think they'll lean Scarff as of now.

RB, WR, OL, DL, ILB, CB, and S all look pretty full as it currently stands.

I guess you could make an argument for McSorley vs. Huntley, and maybe one of the OLBs plays their way on, but it's deep there too (Judon, McPhee, Ferguson, Bowser, Ward). I don't know. I'm just not seeing much of a path right now for anyone but Wolf, especially since all of this work will be behind closed doors with no NFL tape to show other teams.

i think it's eli wolf or tyler huntley and id say it's better than 50/50 that one of those 2 makes it
i would have said nigel warrior has a shot if geno stone isn't all that and if some of the DB injuries hadnt come back fully healthy - but then he went and got himself on the covid list somehow so is losing time vs the rest of the roster

Ty Huntley vs Trace McSorley and Eli Wolf vs Charles Scarff I think

random outsider is Trystan Colon-Castillo who the scouts and EDC clearly really liked as a udfa candidate - he was one of the ones they went after first and gave some decent signing bonus money to in order to get him to pick the ravens - id say there's a lot of young guys on the OL but he could do a patrick mekari come out of nowhere type thing and win a spot on the roster (but i think that only happens if matt skura's health is in doubt when we get closer to week 1)

if we keep an extra OLB it'll be a udfa but i dont think we'll go extra because we've got guys like jihad ward and calais campbell who will probably rotate all over the LoS and will probably take snaps there (and Calais might negate the need for a 3rd OLB in those stand-up over the nose rush packages we have)

i like ty huntley quite a bit more than i liked trace mcsorley last year and i dont love eli wolf on tape (but his athletic profile is great) and might allow him to work in motion like hayden hurst was able to - he's smaller but scarff isnt big either

it does tell you just how stacked this roster is that there's not much room at all

Last edited: