• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wonder if Skura is going to have to miss the first part of the season while he's recovering.

harbs said that he's on track which suggests to me that he's going to be good to go week 1 as it stands but he's certainly expected to miss the early parts of camp which is fine because he's the entrenched starter so him missing time isnt the biggest issue (and in fact through camp it may well provide more opportunities to have the IOL battles play out)

Simba

Staff Member
I wonder if Skura is going to have to miss the first part of the season while he's recovering.

It sounds like he'll be fine. Out as a precaution right now but Harbaugh said he's return at some point in camp.

Simba

Staff Member
it was basically him vs jaleel scott (who also did nothing in the preseason and neither of them play special teams so it was always gonna be a long shot) - wesley is still a guy i like a lot as a developmental guy moving forwards - it would be great if we could keep him another year on the PS but we've got tons of young receivers that im not sure he's got even a remote chance at the 53 this year

special teams is the biggest thing holding him back from a chance at the back end of the roster - WR6 (if you keep 6) has to play special teams or be a talented guy you dont think you can afford to lose

Yep I don't think Wesley has much of a shot but I'd still like to keep him around. This year again, he's probably battling with Jaleel Scott. With 16 on the PS, I'd be surprised if we don't keep a couple of WRs. Wesley might be hurt by skillset, though. If Scott clears, I'd imagine he's the favorite for the tall, outside WR PS spot. The 2 UDFAs - Jaylon Moore and Michael Dereus - profile best as slot guys and I could see a situation where we'd prefer to have 2 different guys as opposed to 2 that play the same role.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep I don't think Wesley has much of a shot but I'd still like to keep him around. This year again, he's probably battling with Jaleel Scott. With 16 on the PS, I'd be surprised if we don't keep a couple of WRs. Wesley might be hurt by skillset, though. If Scott clears, I'd imagine he's the favorite for the tall, outside WR PS spot. The 2 UDFAs - Jaylon Moore and Michael Dereus - profile best as slot guys and I could see a situation where we'd prefer to have 2 different guys as opposed to 2 that play the same role.

saying that our roster of likely WRs on the 53 is full of slot guys so they may not worry about that as much as just keeping the talent around
and if we're cutting jaleel because he didnt make the 53 im not sure that his draft status 3 years in really gives him much of a leg up at that spot especially given part of his draft stock is based on traits that havent manifested themselves in the NFL whereas wesley is less of an athlete but with really nice routes on some of his tape

either way we're talking about guys scrapping for 1 or more PS spots but no real shot at the roster unless it is decided chris moore is surplus to needs (which is highly unlikely)

Simba

Staff Member
saying that our roster of likely WRs on the 53 is full of slot guys so they may not worry about that as much as just keeping the talent around
and if we're cutting jaleel because he didnt make the 53 im not sure that his draft status 3 years in really gives him much of a leg up at that spot especially given part of his draft stock is based on traits that havent manifested themselves in the NFL whereas wesley is less of an athlete but with really nice routes on some of his tape

either way we're talking about guys scrapping for 1 or more PS spots but no real shot at the roster unless it is decided chris moore is surplus to needs (which is highly unlikely)

Agreed I don't think it matters too much, but just food for thought. You'd think Scott has a little bit of a leg up based on the fact that he stuck on the 53 all year despite not playing ST, but it's also a new year.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I really don't think there will be as many roster moves as some do. I think if/when things hit, it'll be the same few guys being protected and rotated up and down for the season. Probably still going to have 8-10 guys on the PS who are there to simulate roles and develop. And that could bode well for a guy like Wesley to stick around.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed I don't think it matters too much, but just food for thought. You'd think Scott has a little bit of a leg up based on the fact that he stuck on the 53 all year despite not playing ST, but it's also a new year.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I really don't think there will be as many roster moves as some do. I think if/when things hit, it'll be the same few guys being protected and rotated up and down for the season. Probably still going to have 8-10 guys on the PS who are there to simulate roles and develop. And that could bode well for a guy like Wesley to stick around.

if anything i think its not a great sign that scott never got called up in the season at all - they kept him on the roster but they clearly didnt need that spot

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bozeman's starting somewhere - if skura was gone for good i think we might see bozeman at C but if Skura's going to be good to go (as is expected) then it makes sense to have bozeman stay at LG

the only logic to bozeman moving spots is if Skura's not expected to be ready to go
I’m saying it’s not a forgone conclusion that bozeman is our starting LG come seasons end, based on film study of them as prospects, I liked both powers and bredeson Better, I know that means little now with bozeman being in year 3, but I do find it strange that neither of those guys, especially powers who I was sort of high on(had him around a solid R5 type) can bypass bozeman who I haven’t been impressed by since he entered the league. Like bozeman hasn’t been a poor stop gap type of LG and I like what he’s done, but something about him feels very underwhelming

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bozeman's starting somewhere - if skura was gone for good i think we might see bozeman at C but if Skura's going to be good to go (as is expected) then it makes sense to have bozeman stay at LG

the only logic to bozeman moving spots is if Skura's not expected to be ready to go
I don't think any player at any of three interior positions are set in stone. I think Skura wins the C if he's healthy, but if he's not, all bets are off.

I certainly don't think they're committed to Bozeman as a starter. He's an incumbent starter, so he'll probably open camp that way, but they're certainly not married to the guy and he's certainly not knocking anyone's socks off with his play.

I also think they obviously liked Mekari from last season, so I'm not even 100% certain that Bozeman is going to get a serious look at the starting C job if Skura is out. Would have seemed logical that they'd prefer Bozeman over Mekari last year when Skura went down, but they didn't go that route. So I'm not sure what would necessarily change this year.

Maybe its me, but I've largely written off Powers already. May be premature, but a mid-round pick like him that can't even beat out Bozeman for a job last year is a red flag to me.

Between Bredeson, Fluker and Tyre, I think at least 1-2 of those guys will end up higher on the depth chart than Powers before the season starts.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I wonder if a deal with Stanley can get done before the start of the season. I think we got a good parameter of what we are looking at for a deal. Dion Dawkins got $15M annually(4 year $60M), while Tunsil got $22M annually(3 Year $66M). Stanley should fall in line around $18M-$20M annually when it's all set & done.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wonder if a deal with Stanley can get done before the start of the season. I think we got a good parameter of what we are looking at for a deal. Dion Dawkins got $15M annually(4 year $60M), while Tunsil got $22M annually(3 Year $66M). Stanley should fall in line around $18M-$20M annually when it's all set & done.

Why would Stanley take less than Tunsil? If he’s the type to go for highest paid, he has a legitimate case.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Tunsil is not even in the same league of player as Stanley. That massive overpay could have moved the market. The only real leverage that exists is the leverage of a double tag which means you have to offer more than that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. As others have asked, what has Tunsil done to get paid more than Stanley? If Stanley decides to take less, it will be purely from generosity, not through being less of a valued player.
2. To me, there really just isn't the cap space to sign Stanley to an extension at this point.
He counts $12.9M now, and the Ravens have less than $7M in cap space, with some of that being erased when the rule of 51 drops and they have to pay a full roster (which is now a bigger roster). Realistically, they're probably sitting on $4-5M in cap space when they enter the season, and you need a couple million to be able to sign players as injuries occur.

That means an extension at, say, $20M per year is going to have to include a 2020 cap hit of probably less than $15M, which is quite low for an average that high, AND, you need to factor in the idea that 2021's salary cap is almost certainly going to decline, which means if Stanley's going to carry a $20M+ cap hit in 2021, it's going to make it that much tougher to retain or extend players.

You either need to backload the crap out of the deal, which you could do, but then you're staring at like $25-30M cap hits in like 2022-2023, which are largely uncertain cap years at this point.

Given the uncertainty of the 2021 salary cap, wouldn't surprise me if he's franchise tagged next season in lieu of a long term contract in 2022. Franchise tag will likely be in the $17-18M range, or less.

Simba

Staff Member
regarding the bozeman discussion just found this comment from zrebiec (transcription from Harbs comments) and it suggests to me that Bozeman is very much safe as the LG starter

Not much surprise there. Bozeman played decently last year and should be entrenched as the starter right now, but if Powers came back strong like they wanted him to, I definitely think he could still factor in. Bozeman clearly has the leg up right now and I think it would take either a drastic fall from him or drastic improvement from Powers to change that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not much surprise there. Bozeman played decently last year and should be entrenched as the starter right now, but if Powers came back strong like they wanted him to, I definitely think he could still factor in. Bozeman clearly has the leg up right now and I think it would take either a drastic fall from him or drastic improvement from Powers to change that.

my guess is it's powers vs fluker vs Phillips for the RG spot and that's basically all that's up for grabs unless skura doesnt come back healthy in the way he needs to

Simba

Staff Member
my guess is it's powers vs fluker vs Phillips for the RG spot and that's basically all that's up for grabs unless skura doesnt come back healthy in the way he needs to

It's really going to suck not being able to see the OL configurations in preseason this year. Powers looks to be lining up at LG now but that's based on a picture, so nothing substantial. Would be curious to see where Bredeson lines up as well but makes sense he's on the 3rd unit currently if they're committing Phillips to the G race more than they are the swing T role.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's really going to suck not being able to see the OL configurations in preseason this year. Powers looks to be lining up at LG now but that's based on a picture, so nothing substantial. Would be curious to see where Bredeson lines up as well but makes sense he's on the 3rd unit currently if they're committing Phillips to the G race more than they are the swing T role.

hopefully the training camp live thing that starts on monday will allow us to get more of an idea of configuration (think it might be the first padded practice too)

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
agree, but we could give him a longer deal with a lower avg and more guaranteed money.

Except for a longer deal he would likely want a higher average (see Mahomes lately or even if you want to go back a few years the Cowboys deals for Tyron Smith and I believe also Martin).