• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

Tru11

Practice Squad
Back after a very long hiatus. I've been going through these threads and come away severely dejected that this isn't a Flacco bashing thread anymore!:crying:
Instead it is turning into a Kap thread. Stop it! That guy for whatever he did isn't playing in the NFL anymore and nobody is going to miss him. He's out to get money from the owners and if he settles for an astronomical figure he makes out like a bandit and doesn't have to risk limb for it. In my eyes he chose the wrong platform to protest - on the field. Football isn't a platform for social issues. It's a platform of pure unadulterated entertainment!

There is nothing entertaining about seeing and hearing the anthem before every game.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
If they actually show the national anthem part on TV (most of the time, the game just starts) then I like to use that time to grab more snacks and/or beer.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think the national anthem, along with other brainwashing concepts should be banned in sports. Just play the champions league anthem so no one complains.
It's a strange concept. In 99.9% of other countries and in different sports it's played for internationals and national Cup final game. Occasionally, if the games fall on significant date.
It's a special piece that should be reserved for special occasions.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
You know what would be nice? If, like colleges, pro teams would have their own theme songs they play before home games. Or let cities have their own themes for any sporting event going on in that city.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
You know what would be nice? If, like colleges, pro teams would have their own theme songs they play before home games. Or let cities have their own themes for any sporting event going on in that city.
That would be cool.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some teams do have their own ‘fight’ songs. Dolphins for example.

Although it’s the corniest shit ever, might I add.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is quite telling. A lot of people enjoy the national anthem. When I'm in the stadium (which is quite rare unfortunately) I feel unity with everybody else.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
I don't know. It's the Joe Flacco thread after all. Don't know what's more controversial, JoeJoes play or having to endure the national anthem at every single gosh darn game and telecast. It's sickening. And as RL52 the greatest said, at home, its grab a sandwich, the pulled pork from the ceramic grill or ensuring the refreshments are ready to go during the anthem. If you're one of those that stand with hand over heart at home and sing along, more power to you.

If one believes their patriotism is illustrated by standing through the worst freakin melody in the history of music and enduring that tripe for that interminable 3 to 5 minutes before the game, more power to them. But if those that like that nonsense want to force it upon others, all bets are off. For those that believe others can't be patriotic Americans unless they stand and sing, fuck those fascists. It's been taken to it's extremes in history, and we don't need any modern vestiges of Heil Hitler here and that is what that bad piece of music is embraced to encourage, just as it did in 1918.

You love that bad tune? You think you're a patriot? Without a doubt 9 out of 10 have no idea what that tune is really about.

So personally, I can take or leave the national anthem and if an athlete isn't flipping the bird while engaged in his non violent / non verbal moment, I don't give a what. Like mine, it's his right and unless one is not an American or really doesn't want to be one, there should be no dispute. The controversy arises because many, including NFL owners, don't have a clue about what America was set up to be.

When I listen to the national song, there's only one version I can tolerate. It's not at M&T Bank, it's not at the Superbowl, its not by the military personnel who butcher that bad tune even more. It's this version. Enjoy and consider yourselves lucky to be Americans, when understanding here you don't get to force your opinions, views and values on others. They have their rights too.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B7A0370B16410C6C5E2FB7A0370B16410C6&FORM=VIRE

Now that's a national song.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If one believes their patriotism is illustrated by standing through the worst freakin melody in the history of music and enduring that tripe for that interminable 3 to 5 minutes before the game, more power to them

dude the star spangled banner is at least fun to sing

the GB/English national anthem is the most dreary, boring, depressingly dull national anthem in the world and literally demotivates anyone who sings it lol