• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not a fan of the quote placed on the Joe Flacco video on NFL.com. One of their top front-page videos is of Joe Flacco's response to a question posed about Colin Kaepernick, and the video is titled, "Flacco on Kap: I want him to get another shot, just not here." The entirety of the quote is actually, "I'd like to see Colin get back in and at some point get another shot. I wouldn't like that to be here, I don't want him to get another shot here, you know. But, uh, yeah, he can come here and have some fun. I think it'll be a good spot for him."

It was clear from the cheeky tone that he jokingly meant that he wouldn't want to be unseated by Kaepernick, and the last two sentences affirmed that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Instead, NFL.com glazed over the final remarks, the quote is (willfully) taken out of context, and is then headlined on the front page to stir up imaginary tension. It's a disservice to Flacco. Regardless of whether we sign Kaepernick or not, it's disappointing to see a manufactured attempt to make Flacco appear as if he's throwing shade at other players, which could leave him open for undue criticism, and that's what it looks like if you're just going by the quote. I get that there's always incentive in the media for attention grabbers, but this isn't the way.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not a fan of the quote placed on the Joe Flacco video on NFL.com. One of their top front-page videos is of Joe Flacco's response to a question posed about Colin Kaepernick, and the video is titled, "Flacco on Kap: I want him to get another shot, just not here." The entirety of the quote is actually, "I'd like to see Colin get back in and at some point get another shot. I wouldn't like that to be here, I don't want him to get another shot here, you know. But, uh, yeah, he can come here and have some fun. I think it'll be a good spot for him."

It was clear from the cheeky tone that he jokingly meant that he wouldn't want to be unseated by Kaepernick, and the last two sentences affirmed that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Instead, NFL.com glazed over the final remarks, the quote is (willfully) taken out of context, and is then headlined on the front page to stir up imaginary tension. It's a disservice to Flacco. Regardless of whether we sign Kaepernick or not, it's disappointing to see a manufactured attempt to make Flacco appear as if he's throwing shade at other players, which could leave him open for undue criticism, and that's what it looks like if you're just going by the quote. I get that there's always incentive in the media for attention grabbers, but this isn't the way.
Taking words out of context is done all the time and is only done to have someone watch or click on the article. They don't care about thr person they may be hurting in the process. It's all about stepping on someone else's toes to promote your own story.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Taking words out of context is done all the time and is only done to have someone watch or click on the article. They don't care about thr person they may be hurting in the process. It's all about stepping on someone else's toes to promote your own story.
Well to a lesser extent they did the same thing several years ago when he said that he thought he was the best QB in the NFL. People scrutinized him for it but if you let him finish the interview he clearly said something along the lines of "of course I think that, I have to or I wouldn't make it in the league". Now that is more understandable than him just throwing shade. The media does this kind of shit all the time. It's why I prefer to read my damn news nowadays rather than watch it. I'd rather read the full excerpt from interviews.

But that's just me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well to a lesser extent they did the same thing several years ago when he said that he thought he was the best QB in the NFL. People scrutinized him for it but if you let him finish the interview he clearly said something along the lines of "of course I think that, I have to or I wouldn't make it in the league". Now that is more understandable than him just throwing shade. The media does this kind of shit all the time. It's why I prefer to read my damn news nowadays rather than watch it. I'd rather read the full excerpt from interviews.

But that's just me.
No question. I absolutely agree with this statement and it needed more than just an agree or like.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator

But that's just me.
You've nailed it. And I like NFL.com. But your post basically encapsulated why this one struck a nerve with me even more than it would have otherwise.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Sounds like Joe will be good to go next week. Good. Let him and the young/ newguys get reps in together.. Perriman, Maxx, Maclin, Woodhead, the new olinemen need reps. Go sign Howard. Maybe manipulate enough cap room to also go sign another depth guy to replace Urschel?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hey media, I fucking hate how you promted this whole damn thing up to be a guarantee that this would linger throughout the season. Thanks for pissing us off and scaring the hell out of us. So here is my message to you!!!!

738c592508eb5da0b3f7da62da715fdc.jpg

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

“Many a true word hath been spoken in jest.” ― William Shakespeare

And to me, it is Flacco's game play or the lack thereof at times that leaves him open for criticism.

Inqui

Pro Bowler

click-bait-hoo-ha-ha-6005374.png

Injury aside shouldnt we expect more from Flacco as a player considering how much hes being paid? While hes no Boller hes been disappointing for a few years now.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Injury aside shouldnt we expect more from Flacco as a player considering how much hes being paid? While hes no Boller hes been disappointing for a few years now.

Flacco is injured right now so we can't put that aside as such. However, we can just straight up talk about how he does need to perform a whole lot better than he has since getting that check. We need a legit "backup" that can push that cat!

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Flacco is injuried right now so we can't put that aside as such. However, we can just straight up talk about how he does need to perform a whole lot better than he has since getting that check.
I remember our last playoff game vs patriots. People blamed our cbs but on our last drive with 1min 30 secs he threw up a dumb ass pass to torrey in double cvg that costed us

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I remember our last playoff game vs patriots. People blamed our cbs but on our last drive with 1min 30 secs he threw up a dumb ass pass to torrey in double cvg that costed us
Torrey made absolutely no effort on that pass and we wouldn't have been in that position had we not given up two 14 point leads. Smh

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Our offense did stall in-between the TDs, and it's fair to critique the decision of the throw. The placement on the throw was well inside and it was into double coverage, although Smith deserves a portion of the blame himself for turning towards Duron Harmon and attempting a shove with the ball still falling above his head (Link). But if we're appropriating blame, it's hard to look past the CB play considering that Rashaan Melvin gave up 14 receptions, 210 yards and 2 TDs on 18 targets in that game alone. For reference sake, Terence Newman gave up 245 yards and 1 TD in 15 games and 10 starts this season. Granted that the latter numbers are uncommon with the median being in the 500 range for corners over the course of the season, but in either case, all three figures allowed by Melvin are disastrous on average. And if we're focusing on late-game scenarios, the last of Melvin's allowed scores was the lead-change late in the 4th against Brandon LaFell on a fade route.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Our offense did stall in-between the TDs, and it's fair to critique the decision of the throw. The placement on the throw was well inside and it was into double coverage, although Smith deserves a portion of the blame himself for turning towards Duron Harmon and attempting a shove with the ball still falling above his head (Link). But if we're appropriating blame, it's hard to look past the CB play considering that Rashaan Melvin gave up 14 receptions, 210 yards and 2 TDs on 18 targets in that game alone. For reference sake, Terence Newman gave up 245 yards and 1 TD in 15 games and 10 starts this season. Granted that the latter numbers are uncommon with the median being in the 500 range for corners over the course of the season, but in either case, all three figures allowed by Melvin are disastrous on average. And if we're focusing on late-game scenarios, the last of Melvin's allowed scores was the lead-change late in the 4th against Brandon LaFell on a fade route.

HOLY SHIT! I always said a healthy Jimmy and we win that game, but goddam I didn't realize he got torched like that.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
HOLY SHIT! I always said a healthy Jimmy and we win that game, but goddam I didn't realize he got torched like that.

In the second half of that game Brady basically just threw to whoever Melvin was covering. It was actually disgusting to watch and they abandoned the run game entirely just to target Melvin no matter what.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
In the second half of that game Brady basically just threw to whoever Melvin was covering. It was actually disgusting to watch and they abandoned the run game entirely just to target Melvin no matter what.

Disgusting that a team can just abandon the run and do that. Our secondary that year was AWFUL. Injuries got us good. The fact we were able to to finally beat the Steelers was a highlight. As a whole the 14 season was great cause it completely unexpected, but that hope got snatched by one of or maybe the greatest coach of all time.

Brutal, right? Exactly right with regards to the part about Smith.

I knew he was beat, but looking at the numbers like that... Remember when fans said Melvin was the future?