• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Disgusting that a team can just abandon the run and do that. Our secondary that year was AWFUL. Injuries got us good. The fact we were able to to finally beat the Steelers was a highlight. As a whole the 14 season was great cause it completely unexpected, but that hope got snatched by one of or maybe the greatest coach of all time.

I knew he was beat, but looking at the numbers like that... Remember when fans said Melvin was the future?
Yes, I remember when people were saying that he was the future. However all you needed to do was look at the numbers closely to dispute that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I remember our last playoff game vs patriots. People blamed our cbs but on our last drive with 1min 30 secs he threw up a dumb ass pass to torrey in double cvg that costed us
Flacco saw single coverage with Torrey smith with the safety playing shallow. He takes that shot everytime, for good reason.

Safety made a great play by darting to the deep quarter early on the play.

Torrey saw the safety and immediately gave up. When the throw left joes hand, it was a good call, but the safety made a great play and Torrey gave dogshit effort and got scared. MINIMAL EFFORT has almost a 100% chance to prevent the pick, a good play on the ball is a possible touchdown.

Torrey literally did the one thing we absolutely could not have him do, give up completey

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Flacco saw single coverage with Torrey smith with the safety playing shallow. He takes that shot everytime, for good reason.

Torrey saw the safety and immediately gave up. When the throw left joes hand, it was a good call, but the safety made a great play and Torrey gave dogshit effort and got scared. MINIMAL EFFORT has almost a 100% chance to prevent the pick, a good play on the ball is a possible touchdown.

Torrey literally did the one thing we absolutely could not have him do, give up completey
Could not agree more about Smith. He gave up on the attempt before it even landed in his vicinity. That being said, I am somewhat uncertain whether it qualifies as a good decision. My issue with the decision and subsequent throw stems from the following. The defensive scheme was fairly straight forward (Link). They broke the huddle in a Quarter package; the defensive front is somewhat exotic with the four man rush consisting of an RE, an LE a MIKE, and a WILL. The latter two blitz head up, Chandler Jones waits for the LBs to engage in order to attempt a (soft) inside stunt. It's single-high with man coverage across the board. Devin McCourty is on the SRiWR, Patrick Chung is on the SRoWR, Tavon Young is the SS, who immediately doubles on Owen Daniels, who's running a post route. Here is where my issue begins. Duron Harmon begins as the single-high FS, exactly 15 yards off the LOS (Link). Harmon drops back off of the snap while cheating to the left, and before Flacco is even finished with his three step drop, Harmon is now at 20 yards off of the LOS (Link), having already advanced diagonally towards Smith, who'd be the only receiver on the left side of the hash at the time of the throw (Link). The direction Harmon takes came as no surprise given that they were rolling a safety towards Smith through the better part of the night. This is something Chris Collinsworth made mention of as well. Flacco's eyes don't leave the left side, he takes one hop, and makes a somewhat off-balance throw while moving laterally to his left, and the ball lands on the inside shoulder, arguably several yards of the preferred window. Now I am right there with you with regards to the finish. It's almost unreal how quickly Smith abandons tracking the football in lieu of a woeful attempt at tackling Harmon before he even has his hands on the ball (Link). Given where the ball landed, it would've been somewhat difficult but certainly not unfeasible for Smith to at least turn his head and attempt to corral the ball. As you've pointed out, he may have even come away with a score had he bodied up Harmon. Ultimately, I feel that the sourness towards Smith is certainly justified. But I thought that the read itself had numerous red flags. You have an FS with a 10+ yard lead on your only deep WR as you're about to wind up for the throw. Daniels is the only player moving towards the left hash, and he's blanketed by two safeties, so there no threat to force said FS to break off underneath, and the rolling safety was a staple concept that you've seen throughout the game. It's a ballsy move to make without stepping into throw or looking off the safety prior to the opposite side. In my eyes, it would at best be categorized as risky. Personally, with two LBs on the ground and Marlon Moore leading his CB away from the left, I don't know that it needed to be rushed. That's just me though.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Joe doesn't get a pass for that throw. Torrey has a step and Joe missed him.
It's actually a pretty horrendous throw.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Could not agree more about Smith. He gave up on the attempt before it even landed in his vicinity. That being said, I am somewhat uncertain whether it qualifies as a good decision. My issue with the decision and subsequent throw stems from the following. The defensive scheme was fairly straight forward (Link). They broke the huddle in a Quarter package; the defensive front is somewhat exotic with the four man rush consisting of an RE, an LE a MIKE, and a WILL. The latter two blitz head up, Chandler Jones waits for the LBs to engage in order to attempt a (soft) inside stunt. It's single-high with man coverage across the board. Devin McCourty is on the SRiWR, Patrick Chung is on the SRoWR, Tavon Young is the SS, who immediately doubles on Owen Daniels, who's running a post route. Here is where my issue begins. Duron Harmon begins as the single-high FS, exactly 15 yards off the LOS (Link). Harmon drops back off of the snap while cheating to the left, and before Flacco is even finished with his three step drop, Harmon is now at 20 yards off of the LOS (Link), having already advanced diagonally towards Smith, who'd be the only receiver on the left side of the hash at the time of the throw (Link). The direction Harmon takes came as no surprise given that they were rolling a safety towards Smith through the better part of the night. This is something Chris Collinsworth made mention of as well. Flacco's eyes don't leave the left side, he takes one hop, and makes a somewhat off-balance throw while moving laterally to his left, and the ball lands on the inside shoulder, arguably several yards of the preferred window. Now I am right there with you with regards to the finish. It's almost unreal how quickly Smith abandons tracking the football in lieu of a woeful attempt at tackling Harmon before he even has his hands on the ball (Link). Given where the ball landed, it would've been somewhat difficult but certainly not unfeasible for Smith to at least turn his head and attempt to corral the ball. As you've pointed out, he may have even come away with a score had he bodied up Harmon. Ultimately, I feel that the sourness towards Smith is certainly justified. But I thought that the read itself had numerous red flags. You have an FS with a 10+ yard lead on your only deep WR as you're about to wind up for the throw. Daniels is the only player moving towards the left hash, and he's blanketed by two safeties, so there no threat to force said FS to break off underneath, and the rolling safety was a staple concept that you've seen throughout the game. It's a ballsy move to make without stepping into throw or looking off the safety prior to the opposite side. In my eyes, it would at best be categorized as risky. Personally, with two LBs on the ground and Marlon Moore leading his CB away from the left, I don't know that it needed to be rushed. That's just me though.
Ok I can admit when I'm wrong, it appears in real time that the safety is hustling to the back
Corner, but I never saw the pre snap in detail. It's not so much the decision by joe that I have a problem with, that's the kinda throw that got us a sb with joe, the ballsy decisions are what makes him who he is, it was a poor throw though. If the safety wasn't high then it's a solid jumpball, but that safety made the inside throw look very bad.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Ok I can admit when I'm wrong, it appears in real time that the safety is hustling to the back
Corner, but I never saw the pre snap in detail. It's not so much the decision by joe that I have a problem with, that's the kinda throw that got us a sb with joe, the ballsy decisions are what makes him who he is, it was a poor throw though. If the safety wasn't high then it's a solid jumpball, but that safety made the inside throw look very bad.
I can appreciate that. That's definitely fair. I thought the same as you did before the showed the replay. And I'm fortunate enough to have access to NFL Game Pass to give me a chance to return to the broadcast footage. I feel what you're saying.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

I got roasted back on the old forums for saying it was a bad decision and throw especially when taking the game time situation into account.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
[QUOTE="redrum52, post: 9274, member: 116"]I got roasted back on the old forums for saying it was a bad decision and throw especially when taking the game time situation into account.[/QUOTE]
I don't recall roasting you :p

So word was that Flacco could return this week, but now they are saying they are taking it day by day?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So word was that Flacco could return this week, but now they are saying they are taking it day by day?
I'm not too worried. He should play preseason game three which is what really matters. If he sits out another few days it's not much of an issue imo. I'd rather have a fully healthy Flacco than rush him back.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
My opinion on the Flacco injury is the same as it was a week ago and that is that if it were the regular season he would be both practicing (though limited) and definitely playing, but its the first preseason game so if anything i dont want him near the field.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joe probably has taken full advantage of being sidelined and has the Bengals defensive scheme absolutely poured over, picked apart and memorized by now.

He knows each look, coverage and disguise....he's seen every blitz package from last year and knows how to identify and how to beat it.......or that could be simply wishful.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joe probably has taken full advantage of being sidelined and has the Bengals defensive scheme absolutely poured over, picked apart and memorized by now.

He knows each look, coverage and disguise....he's seen every blitz package from last year and knows how to identify and how to beat it.......or that could be simply wishful.
Joe probably heard Lewis was hurt and done for the season so he decided to continue to not participate in preseason for his health.