• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Preseason Game One Recap Thread

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The defense looked great.
Jaylen Hill and Trevin Wade looked like upgrades on our current back up corners. Boykin came in, did nothing and was taken out. Maybe the coaches were confirming that he won't make it.
I stopped watching after the starters came out because that was the group I most wanted to see, but what do you mean by Boykin did nothing? That's not a bad thing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I stopped watching after the starters came out because that was the group I most wanted to see, but what do you mean by Boykin did nothing? That's not a bad thing.

Interesting, I actually like to see the entire preseason game because I like to see how our depth stacks up to our opponent. Especially the most recent draft classes.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Interesting, I actually like to see the entire preseason game because I like to see how our depth stacks up to our opponent. Especially the most recent draft classes.
The game was so boring from an offensive perspective. I knew the defense would be good, so it was less exciting with so few vets in there.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
As for dline...

When he was drafted, I said Brent Urban had JJ Watt level potential. (Yes, potential). We got a glimpse at that tonight. He kinda looks like an oversized OLB shooting gaps on the DL. He's not "stout" in the traditional, Brandon Williams style, but damn is he strong and explosive. He lived in the backfield.

Carl Davis also looked good to me when he was out there. Didn't look like he was playing lazy tonight.

Willie Henry still has a fantastic first step, and he still doesn't know what to do after he takes it. Kaufusi looks similar. Athletic and relentless but, like Henry, needs work with hands.

Lord help the rest of the league if both of these guys put it together mentally.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
As far as I can remember, he was in for about 3 plays, was out of position on one and was taken out and not seen again. It seemed like the coaches had made up their mind about him before the game.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
As far as I can remember, he was in for about 3 plays, was out of position on one and was taken out and not seen again. It seemed like the coaches had made up their mind about him before the game.
Well, I mean, this is a guy who hasn't been playing regularly for a couple years, so there isn't massive reason to be optimistic.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Judon had an interesting game. He didn't flash a lot but he looked like he was everywhere. I didn't expect him to be used so much in coverage, but it looked like he did that a lot. He was steady setting the edge, which was to be expected, but I would've liked to see him rush the QB a little more.
ZDS had some really nice bullrushes, good to see he's starting to figure it out.
But I was really impressed by Pierce and Davis. They're freaking bullies. They're way too fast and explosive and strong, Washington's OL got humiliated by them.

God and we didn't even see Humph.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
My preseason thoughts:
OMG WE NEED TO SKULL FUCK HARBAUGH AND STRAIGHT UP MURDER OZZIE BECAUSE WE ARE GOING TO DIE. BLOW UP THE TEAM AND MOVE THE FRANCHISE TO LONDON.

Kidding

Actual thoughts:

Positives:
B. Urban- I mean.. Nothing to really say here.
Terrence West- Showed that this scheme will largely benefit him.
Ryan Jensen- Looked good. Not great, not mediocre. Just good. Which is what we need. Could be an above average center, which in the NFL is a valuable commodity.
James Hurst- Was decent. Not good, not bad, no terrible. He was solid as a pass blocker and a run blocker on the right side of the line. He allowed a decent amount of pressures on the left side of the line. But given that he used to be the worst player in the NFL.. This is a W.
Matt Judon- Showed better speed and retained the same power.
Tyus Bowser- Probably the second biggest W of what I saw. Showed more as a pass rusher than I thought he was capable of. Also great in coverage.
Willie Henry, Carl Davis, Bronson Kaufausi, Michael Pierce- Expect one of these dudes to be traded. But damn, our depth is absurd.
Matt Skura- Was rock solid. Am rooting for him to start at LG because Alex Lewis is made of glass.

Negatives:
Kamalei Correa- Failed to get off of blocks on a few times. He was solid but had a decent amount of negative plays.

Tim Williams- Poor setting the edge. But little reason to worry overall

Ryan Mallet- Do I need to explain?

That's about it. I'm less concerned about the line. But still have my doubts.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hurst looked great at LEFT tackle.

Also, Harbaugh basically dangling one of our talented D LINE players for trade, saying we can't keep all eight and that the phone will be ringing.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Also, Harbaugh basically dangling one of our talented D LINE players for trade, saying we can't keep all eight and that the phone will be ringing.

I wouldn't trade any of our defensive line players. Problem is our young players are more skilled than their name/draft position. And although very skilled haven't produced yet. Thus will likely outplay anything we would get in return. I wouldn't trade any til regular season begins and one of them struts his skills to bring fair value.

It would be like trading one of Kawaan Short, Grady Jarrett, Michael Bennett b4 breaking out. Urban Henry Judon Bronson have that kinda raw potential. Dudes like Urban and Henry can run in the 4.80-4.95 range at 310 lbs. Henry looked very explosive off the ball with shock in his hands. Brandon seemed to have leaned out during offseason while getting a little stronger. Seems better balance and more explosive in lower body to go with his unusually athletic movement for 285lbs. Judon continues to look like a total steal. And Urban was NFL defensive player of week. Ravens don't wanna chance trading the one that becomes the best of bunch.

Ravens may finally get a return all at once on TE huge investments made I've last 4 drafts. Many sleepers with round1 skills like Henry Urban Judon and Bronco are beginning to show up. Ravens probably wouldn't want to trade any until showing their stuff in the regular season so that we get fair trade value. And we know we have one as good or better than the player we trade away

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just wanna point out how dominant Michael pierce looked. I Haven't mentioned him yet, but he could make the pro bowl based on how he played Thursday. Not sure I've ever seen a NT play so electrifying, dude was penetrating on every snap it seemed, shuffling his feet and covering ground in the backfield, he's so goddamn powerful that OL simply can't stay balanced, and he's so quick that guys have to chase the block.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just wanna point out how dominant Michael pierce looked. I Haven't mentioned him yet, but he could make the pro bowl based on how he played Thursday. Not sure I've ever seen a NT play so electrifying, dude was penetrating on every snap it seemed, shuffling his feet and covering ground in the backfield, he's so goddamn powerful that OL simply can't stay balanced, and he's so quick that guys have to chase the block.
Literally picked up the center and threw him as if he were merely a nuisance at one point, then made a play in the backfield.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Literally picked up the center and threw him as if he were merely a nuisance at one point, then made a play in the backfield.
It seems like he's catching my eye on every single snap because he's just dominating the shit out of people. He's one of those guys that forces the viewer to look away from the ball because you can see him constantly tossing dudes aside like a man among boys.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
All of their starters played (Williams, Lauvao, Long, Scherff, Moses). They definitely didn't play well though.
Thanks, I missed this post. Agree, they didn't play well, but give some credit to our DL

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I actually agree with Winchester with regards to me not wanting to trade any of the dlinemen. It looks like our dline is going to make the other team's life hell. We might not have the best starting defensive line in the league, but we are among the deepes and that makes our lives so much easier for a multitude of reasons. It looks like the trenches on the defensive side of the ball could be the strong point of the team.

That said, we are likely to lose Urban next offseason as we will likely prioritize Jensen and Wallace over him(the right move imo), so I would not be objected to trading him if we think we could get decent value.

It's a weird dilemma

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I actually agree with Winchester with regards to me not wanting to trade any of the dlinemen. It looks like our dline is going to make the other team's life hell. We might not have the best starting defensive line in the league, but we are among the deepes and that makes our lives so much easier for a multitude of reasons. It looks like the trenches on the defensive side of the ball could be the strong point of the team.

That said, we are likely to lose Urban next offseason as we will likely prioritize Jensen and Wallace over him(the right move imo), so I would not be objected to trading him if we think we could get decent value.

It's a weird dilemma
i dunno - i think it depends on how well urban plays... but yeah im with you in the sense that i dont want to see any of them go and i really dont think we should or would let them go tbh - it's going to be hard to find an olineman of equivalent value to one of our dlinemen and i doubt we'd trade any of them for straight up picks given that the reason people are suggesting for a trade would be for an olineman - i just dont see who we'd get that's worthwhile given that tbh these lineman are more valuable to us as part of the rotation than they are going to a sparse dline where they will be overworked and in all honesty wasted

i dont think there's a dlineman on our team that is going to fetch their value to us from another team

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I beg to differ. He allowed some pressures on his two series at left tackle. He did play well at RT. He played well, not great, but if he continues this play we should be ok.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

pretty sure that pat ricard will be the odd man out unless he michael pierce's his way past some ascending draft pick linemen - willie henry's first step and carl davis's occasional straight up dominance are the qualities he has to beat out and im not sure he will

those 3 are competing for 2 spots because williams, pierce, urban, wormley, kaufusi are all locks