• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: RB JK Dobbins (55)

Tyler

Practice Squad

interesting find right here. Backs up what EDC said about drafting guys that have had their best moments come in Big games against Big time Schools. Dobbins is going ti be a monster in this offense. He could truly be one of the elite backs we’ve been dreaming of. Having a future bonafide bell cow is tremendous value.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If he turns out to be a faster version of Ray Rice then I think we'll all be very happy. Rice was a top 5 back in the league at one point and would absolutely kill teams on the ground and in the passing game.
I’ve been watching old pre-sb era ravens games and I think we really under appreciated just how good ray rice was.

our OLs were solid, none were spectacular, the coordinating was super average, nothing like what we have now, ray rice just made so many plays.

I used to give him flack for having too many 0-1 yard carries and making his yardage off of big runs here and there, but that was a pretty wrong assessment. So many times you’d see him make one guy miss to turn a 2 yarder into a 10+ yarder, so many dump offs caught where defenders had him dead the rights and he got away for first downs with just unbelievable moves in the open field.

I’m surprised he didn’t lead our team in receiving yards every year

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve been watching old pre-sb era ravens games and I think we really under appreciated just how good ray rice was.

our OLs were solid, none were spectacular, the coordinating was super average, nothing like what we have now, ray rice just made so many plays.

I used to give him flack for having too many 0-1 yard carries and making his yardage off of big runs here and there, but that was a pretty wrong assessment. So many times you’d see him make one guy miss to turn a 2 yarder into a 10+ yarder, so many dump offs caught where defenders had him dead the rights and he got away for first downs with just unbelievable moves in the open field.

I’m surprised he didn’t lead our team in receiving yards every year

I remember a lot of those carries for no yards were the result of him falling down/losing balance at the LOS and I would yell at the TV for his ass to stop stumbling lol

Rice was definitely underappreciated though. If you put him on another team during those years, that had a better OL and could actually design some decent screen plays, then I think he would be in the short discussion for best back in the league for that time period.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Why? Because he'd be as good with Flacco/Trestman/Marty as he is with Brees and Payton?
Derrick Henry didn’t break out til 2018

by then we had Lamar and an OL. Henry wouldn’t have been good in that Flacco trestman marty era either.

Also, mike Wallace at the absolute tail end had a 1000 yard and 750 yard season in 16 and 17, you mean to tell me Michael Thomas couldn’t have matched or topped that? And that he wouldn’t be here now putting up numbers?

you would’ve rather had Derrick Henry in that playoff game where they shut down the run entirely and our receivers were dropping passes everywhere? You think he would’ve made a bigger difference than Thomas?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Derrick Henry didn’t break out til 2018

by then we had Lamar and an OL. Henry wouldn’t have been good in that Flacco trestman marty era either.

Also, mike Wallace at the absolute tail end had a 1000 yard and 750 yard season in 16 and 17, you mean to tell me Michael Thomas couldn’t have matched or topped that? And that he wouldn’t be here now putting up numbers?

you would’ve rather had Derrick Henry in that playoff game where they shut down the run entirely and our receivers were dropping passes everywhere? You think he would’ve made a bigger difference than Thomas?
Henry wasn't getting snaps first (almost) 3 years for some reason regardless of the fact that he always had well above 4ypc average even with limited snaps. With Lamar at QB he would also be much more useful than Thomas.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You and allblack are the only ones on the planet lol.
If we talking flacco era, no matter what wrs you give flacco he was gonna be flacco. That wouldnt have upped his game other than forcing throws and hoping they come down with it..

As for now, id still rather have derrick.. derrick basically single handily won them two playoff games.. wrs dont have that much power. Its much easier to stop/slow down someone like thomas than derrick henry imo..i dnt think henry is a good example lol. If titans had anyother back in nfl plus thomas, i think we wouldve won that game but because it was derrick henry he changed the outcome alone

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we talking flacco era, no matter what wrs you give flacco he was gonna be flacco. That wouldnt have upped his game other than forcing throws and hoping they come down with it..

As for now, id still rather have derrick.. derrick basically single handily won them two playoff games.. wrs dont have that much power. Its much easier to stop/slow down someone like thomas than derrick henry imo..i dnt think henry is a good example lol. If titans had anyother back in nfl plus thomas, i think we wouldve won that game but because it was derrick henry he changed the outcome alone
If you replace Seth Roberts with Michael Thomas in that playoff game, we win it, don’t think you can say the same for Henry and Ingram considering we didn’t run the ball.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well at least DH wouldn't run all over our asses
Fair point but also if Judon finished the tackle that he inexplicably didn’t finish, Henry would’ve replace a 70 some yard run with a -3 yard run and it would be a different conversation as well.

we can talk little things but here’s the big picture, Derrick Henry had a GREAT run basically the second half of 2019, but Michael Thomas has been arguably the most productive and consistent receiver in the past 3 seasons