• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still think broderick washington was a headscratcher. I've come about all the other picks i questioned but this one isn't a need and he def was not best player available
Who would've been your pick instead? Anae?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Feel really good about this draft. Think we really solidified the defense and should be a lot better against the run this year. Also, really excited to see what Duvernay adds to our offense and ST. Dobbins has a chance to make an immediate impact as well and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start to steal more carries from Ingram as the year goes on.

there are only 2 positions this team is worse than it was last year: TE and RG - we are either as good or better at every other position on the team

obviously that RG spot is nothing to be brushed over but we're so astronomically better in some other positions that it's hard to get too worried about it until we get to week 1 and see the OL collapse (but i dont think that will happen)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weaver is a bust in the making. I like Anae, but would have taken him later.

If i'd have decided to make a small trade, I'd have traded up for tyler johnson or shane lemieux. I don't like weaver much but really this was a crap ass edge class. One of the worst ever IMO

also
I've said it before. Chase Young is really, really good but i don't see him as LT or DT that some people are making him out to be

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If i'd have decided to make a small trade, I'd have traded up for tyler johnson or shane lemieux. I don't like weaver much but really this was a crap ass edge class. One of the worst ever IMO

also
I've said it before. Chase Young is really, really good but i don't see him as LT or DT that some people are making him out to be
well that's something we won't know and he is being really hyped but he has all the traits to be a very good edge for a long time. I liked Tyler Johnson but in the 3rd round and also liked Shane Lemieux in the 3rd.

Why would you have taken Weaver, if you don't like him. No it's not the worst ever, but it was pretty bad. You take a player in the 2nd round that you don't like and that's another busted 2nd round pick. That's crazy.....please explain your reasoning for taking him.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
well that's something we won't know and he is being really hyped but he has all the traits to be a very good edge for a long time. I liked Tyler Johnson but in the 3rd round and also liked Shane Lemieux in the 3rd.

Why would you have taken Weaver, if you don't like him. No it's not the worst ever, but it was pretty bad. You take a player in the 2nd round that you don't like and that's another busted 2nd round pick. That's crazy.....please explain your reasoning for taking him.

honestly because we have depth everywhere BUT edge at the 5th round you're kinda looking for either

High production ( weaver has)
High athletic ability ( does not)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
honestly because we have depth everywhere BUT edge at the 5th round you're kinda looking for either

High production ( weaver has)
High athletic ability ( does not)
you were talking about Weaver in the 2nd, instead of Dobbins, weren't you. If I misunderstood that statement, then I apologize.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no no..i meant weaver instead of washington in the 5th
ok, I can appreciate that and I would have been fine with Weaver at that point, but doing a little research on Washington, he may be ok. We won't know for a while though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
there are only 2 positions this team is worse than it was last year: TE and RG - we are either as good or better at every other position on the team

obviously that RG spot is nothing to be brushed over but we're so astronomically better in some other positions that it's hard to get too worried about it until we get to week 1 and see the OL collapse (but i dont think that will happen)
While I largely agree, there's a couple "unknowns":
1. Theoretically, we're worse in the secondary, because we lost Carr and didn't replace him anybody in the draft or externally. Maybe Averett will be an upgrade, but Carr also was your 3rd Safety, and the only Safety we added was very late in the draft, i.e. very small chance of year 1 impact.
I don't consider this a big downgrade, but the Ravens don't have one of the most healthy rosters in the league this year, like we did in 2019, that could be tested.
2. The biggest "critique" I have of this analysis is the factor that nobody can predict or project... will the same guys play at the same level year-over-year?
Is Matt Skura going to be any good? If he's not, who's playing Center? Is it Bozeman perhaps, meaning we'll have two new Guards?
What about aging veterans? We certain they're going to play as well as they did last year?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Theoretically, we're worse in the secondary, because we lost Carr and didn't replace him anybody in the draft or externally. Maybe Averett will be an upgrade, but Carr also was your 3rd Safety, and the only Safety we added was very late in the draft, i.e. very small chance of year 1 impact.
I don't consider this a big downgrade, but the Ravens don't have one of the most healthy rosters in the league this year, like we did in 2019, that could be tested.
2. The biggest "critique" I have of this analysis is the factor that nobody can predict or project... will the same guys play at the same level year-over-year?
Is Matt Skura going to be any good? If he's not, who's playing Center? Is it Bozeman perhaps, meaning we'll have two new Guards?
What about aging veterans? We certain they're going to play as well as they did last year?

Regarding skura, I cannot see someone who wasnt that good to begin with(solid nothing more) coming back after a torn ACL,PCL, MCL and being anything but below average at BEST

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it was more of a statement with regards to roster building

but in terms of point 1 i completely disagree - the only loss on the backend is brandon carr but that's clearly offset by the return of tavon young and deshon elliott too (albeit elliott's still fairly unproven)

and you're right about Skura - so maybe rather than RG, I should have generalised and said the IOL