• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Curious

Between

Davidson
Blacklock
Mazubuike
Gallimore
Elliot

what would be your ranking?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess one could ask

Would you rather have JK dobbins on the team right now or Hayden hurst?

leaning towards the latter
Right now? Hurst, mostly because I haven't seen Dobbins play in the NFL yet.

That would be true of 100% of the players drafted. If I don't get to see how they'll do in the NFL yet, why wouldn't I just take the player who I already know can play in the league?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess one could ask

Would you rather have JK dobbins on the team right now or Hayden hurst?

leaning towards the latter

Right now, for this upcoming season, it’ll be Hurst.

For the next 3-4 years? Dobbins.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it was more of a statement with regards to roster building

but in terms of point 1 i completely disagree - the only loss on the backend is brandon carr but that's clearly offset by the return of tavon young and deshon elliott too (albeit elliott's still fairly unproven)

and you're right about Skura - so maybe rather than RG, I should have generalised and said the IOL
True, though Tavon's return is, to a certain extent, similar to Skura's. What am I going to get from him?

He's sort of a wildcard to me. I hope he can come back healthy and strong, and I actually think he does. But he's sort of indirectly competing with Jimmy for significant snaps, even though they don't play the same position.

If he's not playing at a high enough level, they'll do what they did last year... kick Marlon inside to the slot, and have Jimmy and Marcus on the outside. Tavon will play in a rotational role like Carr.

Maybe I'm short-selling, but I'm not expecting anything from Deshon Elliott to be honest. They got two starting safeties who practically never come off the field, I think Levine would actually be the 3rd safety if one of those guys got injured (or they'd shift Tavon or Jimmy into more of that hybrid role that Carr was playing), and I would set it at 50/50 that he ends up higher on the depth chart than even Stone by the time its over. I think if not for expanded rosters, Elliott would be firmly on the roster bubble (and he still very well may be).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Weakest positions after the draft?
1) Edge Rush
2) Tight End
I like the receivers we picked up.
Say andrews goes down for 6 weeks. Say scarff or this rookie UDFA is not a complete liability and will be able to Have like a 2 catch/20-30 yd game on average with maybe a TD or 2 sprinkled in, say Boyle picks up another 2-3 catches for another 20-30 yds per game, none of which is irrational or even close
Curious

Between

Davidson
Blacklock
Mazubuike
Gallimore
Elliot

what would be your ranking?
madubuike
Davidson
Elliott
Blacklock
Gallimore

madubuike and Davidson can flip flop because I think Davidson has the highest ceiling but the position change thing is a bit risky, I felt madubuike is the same bang for your buck with less risk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True, though Tavon's return is, to a certain extent, similar to Skura's. What am I going to get from him?

He's sort of a wildcard to me. I hope he can come back healthy and strong, and I actually think he does. But he's sort of indirectly competing with Jimmy for significant snaps, even though they don't play the same position.

If he's not playing at a high enough level, they'll do what they did last year... kick Marlon inside to the slot, and have Jimmy and Marcus on the outside. Tavon will play in a rotational role like Carr.

Maybe I'm short-selling, but I'm not expecting anything from Deshon Elliott to be honest. They got two starting safeties who practically never come off the field, I think Levine would actually be the 3rd safety if one of those guys got injured (or they'd shift Tavon or Jimmy into more of that hybrid role that Carr was playing), and I would set it at 50/50 that he ends up higher on the depth chart than even Stone by the time its over. I think if not for expanded rosters, Elliott would be firmly on the roster bubble (and he still very well may be).

I look at what we did with chuck in the dime where he comes down into the box to play dimebacker on those snaps in a lot of cases and it opens up snaps for a 3rd safety - before Carr got that role last year, deshon Elliott got first crack and he was great in that role (he got injured by Justin bethel after making a great play as a centre fielder) - but given his injury history he might not get a chance to win that role

I think this team really wants to keep Marlon out of the slot as much as possible - he’s so good when he can be physical and use the sideline, although the slot does allow him to start closer to the box which helps with run fits and slot blitzes - but those were 2 things that tavon is great at

Tavon wouldn’t just have to be not good, he’d have to actively be bad to not get the start at slot cb

I don’t think jimmys competing with tavon - he himself said when he was resigned that he expects he’ll be playing more of a Brandon Carr type role this year - I would say he’s probably more competing with deshon Elliott than tavon

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
1) Queen = A a great value, very good ascending player at position of need.

2) Dobbins = as far as value and talent, Dobbins is an A. but DeCosta gets a C for how he handled the 2nd round. The more I think on it, it really feels we were too enamored with the idea of staying put in two separate instances and I think Eric is still figuring out this balance. Just my humble opinion but if Epenesa gets within 5 picks you give a 4 or even a back end 3 to get him. I personally would not roll the dice. We were definitely in position to come out of the first two rounds with Queen, Epenesa, and Mims at the cost of a 3 and a 4 or perhaps two 4th round picks instead. Again, this is what I would have wanted and it isn't to dispute that we had Dobbins higher on our board than Mims.

3) Madabuike = B+ good value, good player ...likely a contributor this year with a big step in year two
3) Duverney = B
3) harrison = B has upside and I love his style of play and the idea of he and Queen together very much but I would be a little surprised if he gets the reps this year.
3) Phillips = B interesting pick. He's raw but very effective use of length and vice grip hands. might be a swing tackle with the potential to move from guard and start at RT at some point
4) Bredeson = haven't watched him enough personally but two guys that I trust swear by him. Im taking their word for it. A

5) Broderick Washington A- can play 5T....have we a backup to Campbell at that position? also 3T and a little nose. Rotational early with upside to impact in year two. Like very much his versatility and the technique is stellar vs. the run outside.

6) Proche B value is good. He's likely WR 5 ..great ball skills...surprising actually as he right now is not a guy who gets separation unless he's running option against off or zone. ST early and an upgrade on punt returns.

7) Stone - this is an A in the 7th round

overall B or B+ depending on how you view the 2nd round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2) Dobbins = as far as value and talent, Dobbins is an A. but DeCosta gets a C for how he handled the 2nd round. The more I think on it, it really feels we were too enamored with the idea of staying put in two separate instances and I think Eric is still figuring out this balance. Just my humble opinion but if Epenesa gets within 5 picks you give a 4 or even a back end 3 to get him. I personally would not roll the dice. We were definitely in position to come out of the first two rounds with Queen, Epenesa, and Mims at the cost of a 3 and a 4 or perhaps two 4th round picks instead. Again, this is what I would have wanted and it isn't to dispute that we had Dobbins higher on our board than Mims.

that's what you or i would have done because of how we graded them

from the way EDC was talking about different players - they were clearly not that high on epenesa and they had a 1st round grade on Dobbins

and as @JoeyFlex5 said during the draft - i wonder if Mims was even on the board because of the drop numbers

and with regards to how they handled it - they clearly thought there was a cluster of players they liked at 60 and they traded down and still got one of them

someone asked me on draft night after we drafted madubuike whether id have been happier about how the draft was going if madubuike was taken at 55 and dobbins at 71 and i honestly at the time laughed because i honestly would have probably

ill post my notes from EDC's post draft interview he did a couple of days ago - but id say its clear that Dobbins was higher than Epenesa and a number of other guys

interestingly it sounds like 28 might have been between Queen and Tee Higgins