• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i would not pass on him if he were BPA - i do think he has some limitations against speedy and agile receivers from what ive seen so far but he's got the swagger
if jaycee horn is available to us i cant think of a single prospect id take over him. imagine if jimmy calls it a career and we move from jimmy to jaycee horn as cb3, JAYCEE HORN AS CB3!!! and with the huge strides averett has made this season, and if jimmy decides to play another year, then just imagine those 5 guys as your cb corps on gameday, insane.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
another long press corner i really like, who could be a great value is keith taylor from washington, definitely fits our mold

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if jaycee horn is available to us i cant think of a single prospect id take over him. imagine if jimmy calls it a career and we move from jimmy to jaycee horn as cb3, JAYCEE HORN AS CB3!!! and with the huge strides averett has made this season, and if jimmy decides to play another year, then just imagine those 5 guys as your cb corps on gameday, insane.

that would be very interesting

very early to say for sure though whether he'd be BPA when we pick - not sure I see him as a high or mid first rounder right now so that makes it unlikely he'd be BPA on my board when we pick

but he'd be an exciting piece to add to this team

that being said what limited capital we have left in this upcoming draft i see being invested heavily in the offence again if the board falls favourably in that way

but it'll all be much clearer when we start getting to january/february

LSURavenFan

Veteran
I think Terrace Marshall will continue to climb the rankings. He's been phenomenal, and the opt-out of Chase hasn't affected him at all.

Thoughts on Paris Ford? He sure is a violent hitter.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Terrace Marshall will continue to climb the rankings. He's been phenomenal, and the opt-out of Chase hasn't affected him at all.

Thoughts on Paris Ford? He sure is a violent hitter.
ford is violent af but i havent seen much otherwise to make me think hes an NFL caliber guy, personally for this team my guy is ardarius stewart, hes a natural free safety with his range, anticipation, and instincts, but hes also a natural nickel the way he can move super efficiently and fluid, and he is super explosive indicating he could develop into a weapon blitzing from the slot as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ford is violent af but i havent seen much otherwise to make me think hes an NFL caliber guy, personally for this team my guy is ardarius stewart, hes a natural free safety with his range, anticipation, and instincts, but hes also a natural nickel the way he can move super efficiently and fluid, and he is super explosive indicating he could develop into a weapon blitzing from the slot as well.

i mean that's absolutely the kind of player we're looking for - a nickel with some experience and confidence and traits to play safety too

we've got our 2 starting CBs of the future and at least 1 and maybe 2 of our starting safeties of the future - on top of that we've got averett to flex into that outside CB role on dime downs (and im assuming tavon's not in the future picture at this point as sad as that is - certainly not to be relied upon for sure)

what we're missing is that 6th DB in dime packages if Jimmy's not gonna be around (and even if he is we need cover) - at the moment that doesnt look like its going to be geno stone or nigel warrior or anyone else - khalil dorsey is clearly not someone we trust yet in the slot (but might be someone we think could develop that way) and we just released gilchrist for whatever reason (still unsure)

so that flex DB position is certainly something i think we'll pursue in some fashion this offseason (either looking at a cheap veteran or a draft pick)

in this post-weddle world with that defensive scheme developed by wink and him and CJ mosley - it's pretty clear that there's 3 traits we value most out of DBs right now:
1) confidence to be able to cover man-to-man
2) communication skills and intelligence
3) positional flexibility and versatility

ball skills, speed, length, physicality are all bonuses but certainly not musts (as long as you meet a minimum threshold)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean that's absolutely the kind of player we're looking for - a nickel with some experience and confidence and traits to play safety too

we've got our 2 starting CBs of the future and at least 1 and maybe 2 of our starting safeties of the future - on top of that we've got averett to flex into that outside CB role on dime downs (and im assuming tavon's not in the future picture at this point as sad as that is - certainly not to be relied upon for sure)

what we're missing is that 6th DB in dime packages if Jimmy's not gonna be around (and even if he is we need cover) - at the moment that doesnt look like its going to be geno stone or nigel warrior or anyone else - khalil dorsey is clearly not someone we trust yet in the slot (but might be someone we think could develop that way) and we just released gilchrist for whatever reason (still unsure)

so that flex DB position is certainly something i think we'll pursue in some fashion this offseason (either looking at a cheap veteran or a draft pick)

in this post-weddle world with that defensive scheme developed by wink and him and CJ mosley - it's pretty clear that there's 3 traits we value most out of DBs right now:
1) confidence to be able to cover man-to-man
2) communication skills and intelligence
3) positional flexibility and versatility

ball skills, speed, length, physicality are all bonuses but certainly not musts (as long as you meet a minimum threshold)
Have you checked out Stewart yet? Shades of a young lardarius Webb, very quick, scrappy and instinctive, he plays more of a true safety role at tcu from what I’ve seen but I see a lot of nickel/robber skillset, and it seems to me like if you aren’t one of the boundary corners, then you better be able to play robber and man cover in this scheme, anything else is a bonus and I see that with this guy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Have you checked out Stewart yet? Shades of a young lardarius Webb, very quick, scrappy and instinctive, he plays more of a true safety role at tcu from what I’ve seen but I see a lot of nickel/robber skillset, and it seems to me like if you aren’t one of the boundary corners, then you better be able to play robber and man cover in this scheme, anything else is a bonus and I see that with this guy.

im assuming you mean ardarius washington???

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Torn on Amon ra St Brown. I like his skill set and his play style, looks like a guy who uses explosiveness, skill, and toughness to work all levels and areas of the field, route guy, YAC guy, just looks like a real all around mold of a #1 WR, but something has me not sold on him and I can’t put my finger on it, do the St. Browns have character concerns or something?

also terrace Marshall is a dog, he might be the kind of wr we are looking for, I haven’t dug enough to say much on his route tree but he doesn’t appear to be lacking quick feet, agility, or fluidity for a big man, and his big man skills are there without question, he’s in the mold of a dez Bryant and I hate to say that because of the current ties to dez but he really is lol, very close in build, absolute stud at the catch point, just an imposing figure at wr who also has skill and athleticism

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Torn on Amon ra St Brown. I like his skill set and his play style, looks like a guy who uses explosiveness, skill, and toughness to work all levels and areas of the field, route guy, YAC guy, just looks like a real all around mold of a #1 WR, but something has me not sold on him and I can’t put my finger on it, do the St. Browns have character concerns or something?

also terrace Marshall is a dog, he might be the kind of wr we are looking for, I haven’t dug enough to say much on his route tree but he doesn’t appear to be lacking quick feet, agility, or fluidity for a big man, and his big man skills are there without question, he’s in the mold of a dez Bryant and I hate to say that because of the current ties to dez but he really is lol, very close in build, absolute stud at the catch point, just an imposing figure at wr who also has skill and athleticism

was about to say that equanimeous might be part of the reason you're so hesitant