• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Predictions and Bold Predictions

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Bullshit. There is zero reason for Z smith to see a single pass rush snap over Tim Williams. He is simply not as good of an edge rusher and it isn't up for debate. Now if you wanna argue ZDS as a ST ace over Tim that's fine, but if Tim is on the active roster he's seeing the field as a rusher. He's too damn good at getting to the qb to be a scratch or to be benched in favor of a journeyman who can't even turn his shoulders to pass rush. In the 4th when we need good fresh legged rushers, ZDS will generate jack shit in the pass rush while Tim Williams will bring the heat, and that's why we aren't fine with your list of players
Pees has been excited about him, right? I doubt they would sit Williams unless he was doing poorly in practice.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Bullshit. There is zero reason for Z smith to see a single pass rush snap over Tim Williams. He is simply not as good of an edge rusher and it isn't up for debate. Now if you wanna argue ZDS as a ST ace over Tim that's fine, but if Tim is on the active roster he's seeing the field as a rusher. He's too damn good at getting to the qb to be a scratch or to be benched in favor of a journeyman who can't even turn his shoulders to pass rush. In the 4th when we need good fresh legged rushers, ZDS will generate jack shit in the pass rush while Tim Williams will bring the heat, and that's why we aren't fine with your list of players
While I agree that Tim Williams has a higher ceiling than Za'Darius does. As of now Smith is the better overall player to dress out of the two. Smith is better at special teams and does not get ran over when setting the edge like Tim Williams does right now.

And you can all disagree looking at his college tape but even Smith outplayed Williams in the preseason and Smith was an underrated player in the preseason with his play. In the long term do I hope that Tim Williams outplays Za'Darius Smith? Of course I do. But right now if we had to field a player at starting OLB, Tim would be more of a liability.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
While I agree that Tim Williams has a higher ceiling than Za'Darius does. As of now Smith is the better overall player to dress out of the two. Smith is better at special teams and does not get ran over when setting the edge like Tim Williams does right now.

And you can all disagree looking at his college tape but even Smith outplayed Williams in the preseason and Smith was an underrated player in the preseason with his play. In the long term do I hope that Tim Williams outplays Za'Darius Smith? Of course I do. But right now if we had to field a player at starting OLB, Tim would be more of a liability.
tim williams can rush the passer far better than zadarius can, both judon and suggs can set the edge better than zadarius can.

in the 4th quarter when we need to get one more stop, zadarius smith shouldnt be anywhere near the field, he doesnt do anything well enough to justify it. if we need to get after the qb to shut down that last drive, zadarius smith is the worst option on the roster, and in every other situation, suggs and judon are more than adequate and far superior to him in every regard.

you dont bench who could very well be your BEST pass rusher on the roster, because he cant set the edge well. you field the fucker in pass rush situations and let him fly.

btw zadarius isnt even that good setting the edge, hes wildly inconsistent.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Pees has been excited about him, right? I doubt they would sit Williams unless he was doing poorly in practice.
everything ive seen of pees speaking about tim williams he is excited as all hell.

even morningwood said some shit about tim williams being a wrecking ball.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
everything ive seen of pees speaking about tim williams he is excited as all hell.

even morningwood said some shit about tim williams being a wrecking ball.
In that case, I really don't think the coaches will sit him out this season (unless he goes out there and is for some reason absolutely terrible, which I think is unlikely).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In that case, I really don't think the coaches will sit him out this season (unless he goes out there and is for some reason absolutely terrible, which I think is unlikely).
if they send tim out on 3rd downs and say let'er rip, hes gonna establish himself very quickly and make 31 other teams feel like dickbags for passing on him repeatedly.

he looked on edge in game 1 of the PS, but looked a lot more comfortable and progressively got better each week and applied heavy pressure on seemingly every snap.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
if they send tim out on 3rd downs and say let'er rip, hes gonna establish himself very quickly and make 31 other teams feel like dickbags for passing on him repeatedly.

he looked on edge in game 1 of the PS, but looked a lot more comfortable and progressively got better each week and applied heavy pressure on seemingly every snap.
It's worth noting that in the last game he did that for 60 minutes. Never mind the opposition, it's hard to do it all game long no matter who is on the other side.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's worth noting that in the last game he did that for 60 minutes. Never mind the opposition, it's hard to do it all game long no matter who is on the other side.
Exactly. Anyone who was singling out Tim to watch him, knows that he was seriously heating up and looked like a weapon.

There's no two ways about it, Tim Williams is at worst the second best pass rusher on this team, and if Suggs has lost a step then he is probably the best. He needs to be active every game for us to show our true dominance on defense. Without that speedy edge rush we lose a major dimension

A lot of people say that 2018 is our year but I honestly believe the time could be now for us. Pittsburgh has regressed in my mind and New England has to. I was never impressed with the Patriots additions and I personally think that their defense is going to rank in the bottom. The losses of Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones were going to hurt soon enough and now they haven't replaced those players with guys on their level of production. They already had a poor pass rush then go on to lose Jabaal Sheard, Rob Nincovich an Chris Long.

I honestly think the Patriots are still winning the division and probably claiming the top spot in the AFC. Even after sweeping their division their schedules favors them heavily and they're bound to get the swing of things. Still, at first I thought we had a punches chance only to beat them, now I think we are likely to do it.

Personally, I think this year we will go deep.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
A lot of people say that 2018 is our year but I honestly believe the time could be now for us. Pittsburgh has regressed in my mind and New England has to. I was never impressed with the Patriots additions and I personally think that their defense is going to rank in the bottom. The losses of Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones were going to hurt soon enough and now they haven't replaced those players with guys on their level of production. They already had a poor pass rush then go on to lose Jabaal Sheard, Rob Nincovich an Chris Long.

I honestly think the Patriots are still winning the division and probably claiming the top spot in the AFC. Even after sweeping their division their schedules favors them heavily and they're bound to get the swing of things. Still, at first I thought we had a punches chance only to beat them, now I think we are likely to do it.

Personally, I think this year we will go deep.

With all due respect, the steelers have a better roster this year than last year. they have upgraded everywhere and have m.bryant back. they have a steller O line, a very good D line, TJ watt will be legit (like i said he would be) and they have made some strides in fixing their secondary. they also have l.bell and got a decent TE which they didnt have last year from san francisco who's name i forgot.

We have the following weaknesses

LG
RB
TE
RT
WILB
QB ( yup, he's average when he's not coming off an injury and it isnt the playoffs..so)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The losses of Tim White and Kenneth Dixon are probably the ones that would have made a big difference. I think if Tim White doesnt get injured he's our TRUE x factor which we lack.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
With all due respect, the steelers have a better roster this year than last year. they have upgraded everywhere and have m.bryant back. they have a steller O line, a very good D line, TJ watt will be legit (like i said he would be) and they have made some strides in fixing their secondary. they also have l.bell and got a decent TE which they didnt have last year from san francisco who's name i forgot.

LG
RB
TE
RT
WILB
QB ( yup, he's average when he's not coming off an injury and it isnt the playoffs..so)

Making strides does not make it not a weakness. There DLine is fairly average above average if Watt pans out which everyone thought he would. I think you are also ignoring several offensive deficiencies because you are not close enough to see them.

Bryant is an okay number 2 but if someone can cover Brown 1 on 1 (read Jimmy) he basically is taken out of the game.

With the upgraded secondary that was already shutting them down and the fact that you simply cannot run on the Ravens front 7 I think the Ravens are better tooled to beat the Steelers this year than last.

Last edited:

LG
RB
TE
RT
WILB

I don't see how they upgraded everywhere. They literally are coming in almost with the same roster that they had last year. They were pretty good on the run D numbers wise but not close to the top ranked teams and against good run teams they struggled and at 4.3 YPC allowed, I wouldn't call them a great run D by any means and they didn't get better at the DL at all, the biggest addition they made was T.J Watt and lets be honest here, he's still unproven at this point when we haven't seen him against top competition and tackles. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a good player but I'm not going to list him as a guy who takes there defense somewhere considering that he's a rookie.

Their late season additions are nothing to even be impressed at, Joe Haden was cut because he was underperforming, sure he had his moment against us but outside of that he showed that he wasn't worth his contract value and not a lot of teams were willing to give up anything for him. JJ Wilcox is backing up Mike Mitchell who isn't really all that great in his own right. Tampa traded him for a player who was recently cut. I'm certain that if Tampa didn't find a trade parter for Wilcox, that he would've been cut.

Exactly. Anyone who was singling out Tim to watch him, knows that he was seriously heating up and looked like a weapon.

There's no two ways about it, Tim Williams is at worst the second best pass rusher on this team, and if Suggs has lost a step then he is probably the best. He needs to be active every game for us to show our true dominance on defense. Without that speedy edge rush we lose a major dimension

People tend to forget just how tough the rookie transition is for a player. If you are a guy like Tim Williams who has a family, you got to relocate to a city you're not familiar with, get with a new team, get down a whole play-book and so much more. That's just the transition, people need to give it time.

I think once he has time to focus on Football he'll come along great. I was very happy when we drafted him, still am and I think later on in the year he's going to contribute. I don't think it's going to be like Za'Darius where he had free runs at the QB and coverage sacks, I think he's going to beat the breaks off of some tackles and flash his potential. He's definitely going to come along as the season progresses. He's a guy I want on the field on 3rd down rush plays.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
People tend to forget just how tough the rookie transition is for a player. If you are a guy like Tim Williams who has a family, you got to relocate to a city you're not familiar with, get with a new team, get down a whole play-book and so much more. That's just the transition, people need to give it time.

I think once he has time to focus on Football he'll come along great. I was very happy when we drafted him, still am and I think later on in the year he's going to contribute. I don't think it's going to be like Za'Darius where he had free runs at the QB and coverage sacks, I think he's going to beat the breaks off of some tackles and flash his potential. He's definitely going to come along as the season progresses. He's a guy I want on the field on 3rd down rush plays.
I'll put it this way. There were 4 edge rushers in this class that I would have said, without a doubt, this guy can beat opposing tackles 1v1 for consistent pressure, in this order...

1. Barnett
2. Garrett
3. Williams
4. Lawson

Garrett lacked a lot of polish, but this is assuming he can win with athleticism(he can), Barnett was incredibly polished, and williams and Lawson were pretty well polished and elite athletes. All have NFL caliber skill sets that should allow them to contribute right now, and I absolutely think williams is just behind Garrett regarding potential rookie production

I'll put it this way. There were 4 edge rushers in this class that I would have said, without a doubt, this guy can beat opposing tackles 1v1 for consistent pressure, in this order...

1. Barnett
2. Garrett
3. Williams
4. Lawson

Garrett lacked a lot of polish, but this is assuming he can win with athleticism(he can), Barnett was incredibly polished, and williams and Lawson were pretty well polished and elite athletes. All have NFL caliber skill sets that should allow them to contribute right now, and I absolutely think williams is just behind Garrett regarding potential rookie production

I agree with your list, I honestly don't think Williams is behind those guys all that much. I think he's good just as good of a floor as those guys honestly.

I was very high on Tim Williams honestly. I understood that he had some off-field issues but you got to take a chance on those type of guys sometimes(Depending on the situation). The Bengals have benefited more than have been harmed by taking those type of prospects. I think there are certainly guys we need to avoid but Tim Williams floor and ceiling was too great to turn away from.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree with your list, I honestly don't think Williams is behind those guys all that much. I think he's good just as good of a floor as those guys honestly.

I was very high on Tim Williams honestly. I understood that he had some off-field issues but you got to take a chance on those type of guys sometimes(Depending on the situation). The Bengals have benefited more than have been harmed by taking those type of prospects. I think there are certainly guys we need to avoid but Tim Williams floor and ceiling was too great to turn away from.
I just think Garrett is more athletic and better built to be a game wrecker, and barnetts ability to flatten the edge is just amazing and you can't stop it. Speed rushers can be accounted for by committing to the deep drop, strong rushers can be countered with a good anchor, but if you can't get your hands into a rushers chest you simply can't block him, and that's what Barnett does, you can't deliver a punch on a chest that's damn near parallel with the field lol.

Tim Williams is far more polished than Garrett but is also slightly less of an athlete and much smaller. I think Garrett is gonna win with athleticism this year. That's my only reason for putting him a notch below those guys