• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Rookies, The Bad and the Browns

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nick Boyle is ridiculous lol - dude just relishes contact and murdering people on a football field that he has no right to

he's become a weapon even in the passing game being trusted 1v1 on the outside with EDGE rushers and expected to do ok

but he's crucial to the gameplan when we have to deal with dangerous defensive superstars because we find ways to let him attack them in combination and just wear them down

he's that classic impose your will type player and as much as this offence has been designed around Lamar, I dont think there's a better offence for nick boyle

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Nick Boyle is ridiculous lol - dude just relishes contact and murdering people on a football field that he has no right to

he's become a weapon even in the passing game being trusted 1v1 on the outside with EDGE rushers and expected to do ok

but he's crucial to the gameplan when we have to deal with dangerous defensive superstars because we find ways to let him attack them in combination and just wear them down

he's that classic impose your will type player and as much as this offence has been designed around Lamar, I dont think there's a better offence for nick boyle
Yeah nick Boyle is the closest thing you can get to an extra OT. He turns every formation into a makeshift jumbo package. Holy shit were we all wrong in 2015 when we all got hyped about maxx Williams and scratched our heads at the Boyle pick.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah nick Boyle is the closest thing you can get to an extra OT. He turns every formation into a makeshift jumbo package. Holy shit were we all wrong in 2015 when we all got hyped about maxx Williams and scratched our heads at the Boyle pick.

I mean if there is one thing the Ravens know, it the benefits of double dipping at an offensive skill position in the draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok - I know im partly the conductor of this hype train but i just want to slow it down on Tyus slightly - i know Wink just said it was his most impressive game too but just to add some context to the 4 pressures stat that's been going around - the sack was nice but he was cleanup mostly after chuck moved baker off his spot, 1 of the pressures was on the 3rd and 41 where he actually had been blocked to the ground but got up and forced a throwaway (ended up on the ground a couple of times on sunday), 1 of the pressures was a coverage (great coverage by Tyus) that took away Mayfield's read and then Tyus closed to force a throwaway

dont get me wrong they're still valuable plays but they're effort plays akin to cleanup type situations rather than skill-based plays where you beat the tackle

that being said Tyus is still just as good (if not better) as he was last year in coverage

he also had the beautiful inside move to draw the holding call (which im guessing didnt count in the stat counting) and another pressure later where he beat a TE outside (albeit chuck got there first for the pressure and baker got rid of the ball before either of them could get there)

great game but it wasnt a dominant pass rushing performance - certainly a useful one in that department though

and a good note from Ken McKusick's writeup was that Stefanski likes to protect the QB with extra men staying in to block - eligible receivers blocking makes cleanup/effort pressures more important

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Maxx was definitely one of our biggest draft disappointments. I was ecstatic that we "stole" him from the Steelers and thought he was gonna turn into a beast, but he was just lazy and injured all the time.

Simba

Staff Member
Maxx was definitely one of our biggest draft disappointments. I was ecstatic that we "stole" him from the Steelers and thought he was gonna turn into a beast, but he was just lazy and injured all the time.

I wouldn't say lazy by any means. He was raw and developmental coming out and progressed decently consider the ask of a rookie TE in year 1. And then he had the major knee injury in year 2 and it sapped all of his explosiveness. Thought he actually did decently well transforming himself into more of a blocker after the injury and that's why his career is still going.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't say lazy by any means. He was raw and developmental coming out and progressed decently consider the ask of a rookie TE in year 1. And then he had the major knee injury in year 2 and it sapped all of his explosiveness. Thought he actually did decently well transforming himself into more of a blocker after the injury and that's why his career is still going.

I only say lazy because it seemed like he was out of shape in his rookie season. I wonder how he would have turned out if he didn't have the major injury, but he was just never able to live up to his hype here and was just another of our failed 2nd round picks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Both LBs look so promising

Queen needs to attack downhill harder in the running game - he allows OL to get on him a bit too much and he's slighter than most so he'll get swallowed up if he lets them get on him - but when he stays clean he's blazing fast and mirrors backs really well in coverage - also seems to have a pretty nice feel for the zones and had the speed to stay with Landry running full speed across the field (great ball gave him no chance at the PBU)

Malik is everything we thought he was - an absolute steal - he comes downhill like a battering ram - sent at least 2 OL on Sunday to the floor while coming downhill to fill his gaps - has a nice feel for coverage too - doesnt have the flashy athleticism that Queen has and also his footwork isnt particularly clean right now but he has a good feel for it and uses his length to great effect - drops into good spots

we're probably gonna see a continuation moving forwards too - Harrison will likely grade out higher than Queen on PFF and Queen will likely make more splash plays and play more snaps

it's pretty clear that both guys are basically starting - LJ Fort and Chris Board played some snaps and Fort was listed as the starter (and eventually outsnapped Harrison) but Harrison was on the field for the first snap and played a lot of the snaps early

I think we'll probably continue to see Fort and Harrison rotate based on situations

rossihunter2

Staff Member
nice article from cole jackson on Tyre Phillips on debut

https://russellstreetreport.com/2020/09/18/film-dont-lie/tyre-phillips-holds-his-own-in-1st-start/

i picked out a lot of similar moments going through the film - i had a couple of nice plays to add (one where he drives and controls sheldon richardson and one where he (and the whole line) have these nice reach blocks

it's a decent start to his career but the learning curve is going to be steep against JJ Watt (i fully expect the texans to scheme up watt to attack the A gap between skura and phillips)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Both LBs look so promising

Queen needs to attack downhill harder in the running game - he allows OL to get on him a bit too much and he's slighter than most so he'll get swallowed up if he lets them get on him - but when he stays clean he's blazing fast and mirrors backs really well in coverage - also seems to have a pretty nice feel for the zones and had the speed to stay with Landry running full speed across the field (great ball gave him no chance at the PBU)

Malik is everything we thought he was - an absolute steal - he comes downhill like a battering ram - sent at least 2 OL on Sunday to the floor while coming downhill to fill his gaps - has a nice feel for coverage too - doesnt have the flashy athleticism that Queen has and also his footwork isnt particularly clean right now but he has a good feel for it and uses his length to great effect - drops into good spots

we're probably gonna see a continuation moving forwards too - Harrison will likely grade out higher than Queen on PFF and Queen will likely make more splash plays and play more snaps

it's pretty clear that both guys are basically starting - LJ Fort and Chris Board played some snaps and Fort was listed as the starter (and eventually outsnapped Harrison) but Harrison was on the field for the first snap and played a lot of the snaps early

I think we'll probably continue to see Fort and Harrison rotate based on situations
i was watching those 2 heavy, and i was finding myself extremely disappointed in queen up until we started blitzing him, and when we started doing that i was immediately like damn, thats why we drafted him. harrison though, at no point aside from the horrible crash on the backside of a stretch run, did i feel disappointed, i felt like he looked like the more nfl ready LB in his first game action and he was playing very well, i saw lots of physicality, he was very fluid in his movement, he took on blockers with ease, and he made a few jarring hits.

this duo is gonna be the best in the league in a few years.

also LJ fort is mad underrated, hes such a great open field tackler

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ooft Mayfield bailed us out a few times - im looking at one snapshot and he's got 3 guys all open all right in front of his eye line at 3 different levels and he doesnt throw to any of them
did you happen to notice the early play where beckham had a flat footed elliott dead to rights for a TD and baker didnt even look his way?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
did you happen to notice the early play where beckham had a flat footed elliott dead to rights for a TD and baker didnt even look his way?

not specifically - but did notice baker repeatedly staring down open receivers and then just not throwing it to them

he let us off the hook - i expect lots of the ravens issues to be ironed out as communication improves week-to-week