• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The OL and The Tavon

Simba

Staff Member
It's crazy how good Yanda actually was. You always knew it but it wasn't more apparent than it has been the last 2 games, and especially today. I know it's partly Skura working back to full strength as well, but man they have been attacking that gap and teams didn't dare do that last year. Somehow one guy makes the whole unit that much better. If those HOF voters in a few years are debating Yanda, I hope they turn on this tape to see just how good he actually was.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's crazy how good Yanda actually was. You always knew it but it wasn't more apparent than it has been the last 2 games, and especially today. I know it's partly Skura working back to full strength as well, but man they have been attacking that gap and teams didn't dare do that last year. Somehow one guy makes the whole unit that much better. If those HOF voters in a few years are debating Yanda, I hope they turn on this tape to see just how good he actually was.

he's a massive hole to fill but also he was a massive help to skura at C with the line calls etc. and obviously it helps Orlando being right next to him

it's probably quite telling that the left side of our line is functioning much better than the right side of our line right now...

Simba

Staff Member
he's a massive hole to fill but also he was a massive help to skura at C with the line calls etc. and obviously it helps Orlando being right next to him

it's probably quite telling that the left side of our line is functioning much better than the right side of our line right now...

Absolutely. I still like Phillips and think he has a solid future but today was a rough one for him and he's only going to continue to get tested with the tape he put out there today. It's just amazing how good Yanda was and how much better he made everyone around him.

Simba

Staff Member
One thing that I've liked over the past couple of weeks and especially today is how much more usage Hollywood is getting in the intermediate range. I know the foot limited him last year, especially in the route department, and it was either a screen/short throw or a bomb in most games. I like the threat of him attacking at all levels now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Absolutely. I still like Phillips and think he has a solid future but today was a rough one for him and he's only going to continue to get tested with the tape he put out there today. It's just amazing how good Yanda was and how much better he made everyone around him.

as is often said about OL - it doesnt matter how good your highs are if you have too many lapses - my inkling is that im gonna see lots of exciting stuff from him in the 4th quarter but am gonna see jj watt absolutely victimise him on some notable snaps

OL play is all about that consistency and you have to think that whatever he's going to be, the more he plays the more consistent he'll be

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’d love to know why jk dobbins wasn’t getting touches this week. He got such little attention from the coaches that I’m suspecting he had a fatal mistake in practice this week, because he went from lead back last week to I believe 1 carry this week, and imagine that he fucking broke it with that one carry, on an outside zone run.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d love to know why jk dobbins wasn’t getting touches this week. He got such little attention from the coaches that I’m suspecting he had a fatal mistake in practice this week, because he went from lead back last week to I believe 1 carry this week, and imagine that he fucking broke it with that one carry, on an outside zone run.
Made no sense to my group watching the game . We were questioning it the whole game . Where’s 27 was a common comment.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean he didnt get touches but he got just as many snaps as Gus and only 7 fewer than Ingram - i think he was in a lot on passing downs which means going out on routes and pass pro (i know he got beaten on a jailbreak)

i think there might have been a concerted effort this week to get ingram in rhythm because he was missing reads etc. in week 1

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Patrick Queen on first viewing looked really good yesterday - he showed great discipline on the 4th down in the texans end that we stopped - texans gave all sorts of motions etc. in the backfield to try and create an opening but he showed really good eye-discipline to key on his guy

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Patrick Queen on first viewing looked really good yesterday - he showed great discipline on the 4th down in the texans end that we stopped - texans gave all sorts of motions etc. in the backfield to try and create an opening but he showed really good eye-discipline to key on his guy

Queen looks special so far and he's only going to get better with more experience. I think we're set at LB for the foreseeable future with him and Harrison. Also, LJ Fort has been very solid in his role as well and has been making plays.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Maybe they were deliberately holding him back for the Chiefs game? Didn't make much sense to me either, but if he gets a heavy workload against KC then I think we may have our answer.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not only that but he was certain of his assignment as well and was flying right off the snap to cover that flat. He’s doing exactly what we saw him doing in college that made us feel he was a first rounder, and that is as encouraging as it gets for a rookie

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not only that but he was certain of his assignment as well and was flying right off the snap to cover that flat. He’s doing exactly what we saw him doing in college that made us feel he was a first rounder, and that is as encouraging as it gets for a rookie

will be interesting to see how he did filling and coming downhill in the running game because that was where he struggled most in week 1

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My "bads" for the game:
1. Offensive line. Not going to beat on a dead horse. Everybody knows they sucked. Was more concerning to watch our Tackles get beat on the outside frequently also, which isn't normal.
Like most, I'm hoping its a product of just needing to play together longer and gel. The cavalry isn't coming to save us (i.e. we're not going to magically trade for some stud mid-season), so this unit (and its depth) is what it is. They either play better, or they don't, and it'll be likely the thing that stops us in January.
Will point out that we played two pretty good fronts through two weeks. Chiefs are pretty good up front, but I don't think they're as good as Houston or Cleveland. Pittsburgh's front concerns me a lot more than the Chiefs do.
2. Tough blow for Tavon, but its not a death blow. We'll learn over time to play without him, just like we did every year Jimmy went down. Everybody is pointing back to 2014 as a barometer, and that's accurate. We lost Jimmy mid-season (the only good Corner on our team), and Ben lit us up for like 5-6 TDs in Pittsburgh the next week. We played them two months later in January, and beat them (largely dominated them) in their own building, with one of the worst secondaries this team has ever seen. He's a good player, but if he's our downfall, then we weren't that good to begin with.
3. I think we've had an "interesting" two weeks on offense. The first half yesterday had me scratching my head, because I couldn't figure out what we were doing. It seemed like Roman is doing one (or both) of two things:
a) just assuming that every team is going to stack the box, so come out throwing or
b) assuming that because Cleveland did that, Houston would also.

I saw some heavy fronts, but nothing close to what I saw from Cleveland. I don't know why we didn't run the ball more in the 1st half, especially when it was clear that our Oline was getting pushed around. If we literally have a strategy of "throw early, get a big lead, run late", that's not going to work against actual good teams. And we better be able to adapt.

I came out of week 1 thinking we were now the most difficult team in the league to defense on offense, because you didn't know when we would run or when we would throw. And that may be true, but we're getting a lot more 3rd and long situations than we had last year, and that's not good for an Oline struggling with pass protection.

For me, its actually kind of comical. We've largely had the game in the bag by mid-to-late 3rd quarter through two weeks, and I don't even think we're playing like SB-level great.

Defense gave up more points, and yet I thought they were significantly improved from week 1. Forcing turnovers, creating a ton of pressure, did a great job stopping the run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I saw some heavy fronts, but nothing close to what I saw from Cleveland. I don't know why we didn't run the ball more in the 1st half, especially when it was clear that our Oline was getting pushed around. If we literally have a strategy of "throw early, get a big lead, run late", that's not going to work against actual good teams. And we better be able to adapt.

at the time part of the issue (again sort of OL related) is that we werent moving the ball on the ground at all - we werent getting chunks and we were frequently getting behind the chains when running the football which naturally leads to you wanting to throw the ball more

ill be interested to see what changed late - was it JJ Watt being off the field, was it the Texans getting gassed up front or did the OL just play better once they got in rhythm with the running game because those sorts of plays were not available to us or effective in the first half

i think part of what's been less impressive than last year so far is that we haven't really got something to hang our hat on yet - we've been more versatile and looked much better passing than last year already but we haven't put up that dominating element to an aspect of our offence yet - now that might come - the running dominance we had last year didn't really fully realise itself until week 6 last year so it might just be that the "identity" of our offence is still being discovered which makes a lot of sense given the lack of preseason and no joint practices