• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The OL and The Tavon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve seen you say a few times that the run game was going nowhere but that didn’t seem to be the case, we weren’t committing at all and we ran so infrequently that we couldn’t come to a conclusion

it just looked like we were getting no push on those plays and its probably also a holdover from having watched so much of the running game last week and seeing no significant gains at all

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Targeted twice after: Q2, 05:45 and Q3, 07:20. Both fell incomplete. The first was knocked away by Hargreaves (~10 yard out on right hash). The second was "knocked away" by McKinney (throw to the EZ, LB runs through Andrews without looking back, looked a lot more like a penalty to me than the play they flagged Averett on).

He also played a good amount in the 2nd half when they were running, meaning he needed to block. I'm going to say his arm is probably fine, but it's worth keeping an eye on. That fall looked very unpleasant.

that 2nd target looked clear as day like a PI to me - said it immediately too based on the broadcast

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watching the game did not feel like we had 250 rushing yards. And that is a lot of pressures.

This is blowing my mind a little bit.
Same here. During the game it felt like Watson had enough time to make his throws.
I wonder what our blitz rate was.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Same here. During the game it felt like Watson had enough time to make his throws.
I wonder what our blitz rate was.
Per Ken's article, the Ravens brought 5+ on 17 of 39 dropbacks. More details inside.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watching the game did not feel like we had 250 rushing yards. And that is a lot of pressures.

This is blowing my mind a little bit.

the pressures are a lot but not entirely surprising - watching the game it felt like we should be getting more sacks than we were simply because we had watson running for his life almost on a per-snap basis even if we didnt get the hit or sack

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
i never felt like we werent getting pressure - the 233 yds felt like they all came in the 4th quarter

but it felt like we were putting watson under pressure on basically every passing down

Agreed. Watson did a great job of escaping the pressure (something I think he struggled with last year due to a nagging ankle injury, re-aggravated on a Judon sack in Q2).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Watson did a great job of escaping the pressure (something I think he struggled with last year due to a nagging ankle injury, re-aggravated on a Judon sack in Q2).

so many plays that against almost any other qb in the league would have been sure-fire sacks and watson would escape to throw a completion or at least throw it away - he's in a bad situation but he makes superhero type plays all the time

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Targeted twice after: Q2, 05:45 and Q3, 07:20. Both fell incomplete. The first was knocked away by Hargreaves (~10 yard out on right hash). The second was "knocked away" by McKinney (throw to the EZ, LB runs through Andrews without looking back, looked a lot more like a penalty to me than the play they flagged Averett on).

He also played a good amount in the 2nd half when they were running, meaning he needed to block. I'm going to say his arm is probably fine, but it's worth keeping an eye on. That fall looked very unpleasant.
i remember those now that you mention it, i actually thought both incs were on lamar, the hargreaves one felt like it needed to be led in front and it was more on the shoulder and too easily played, and the endzone shot was mad underthtrown

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this might sound like sacrilege but having gone through the all-22 watching averett i really dont think its gonna be the end of the world

1) he wasnt playing corner full-time - it looks like his time at RCB is gonna be mostly when we want to use jimmy in that hybrid deep-safety role which means only really in dime packages - in the base nickel we had jimmy drop down to RCB

2) while averett got crossed up a couple of times early on he was really not as bad as people thought - the one big play he gave up was a play that basically no corner in the league is making - having now seen it multiple times and slow-mo etc. i think that deshaun watson throw is one of the best throws ive ever seen

3) he's not going to get burned by speed at all - he's fast - he's going to have to focus on his back-pedal so that he can mirror better but he's not going to get outrun by most WRs

4) there was a miscommunication between him and jimmy early on that could have/should have gone for a huge play - not sure who's fault it was but that's something they'll see on film and sort out

he got better as the game went on and wasnt the liability that people have assumed he is based on last year's play (and the targets his way against the texans)

i was actually pretty impressed with him in the 4th quarter

Last edited: