• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Andy Reid, The Coaching and The Everything Else

Well what a fucking choke job that was! Everyone was terrible except special teams.

But since I'm in the business of thinking positive:
1. I remember a similarly galling loss last year that sparked the team to go 12-0. So let this be a wake-up call and hopefully we can get over our own hype.
2. This wasn't the playoffs... Yet.
3. Looks like we finally found a kick returner!
4. If your offense is looking shaky, you can hand the ball to Gus and let him bulldoze away until you feel better (even if the coaches don't want to admit it).
5. We don't want a bye anyway. I still think rust was a factor last year.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's just one loss! Blah, blah, blah! To me; it's about what we looked like in the loss!

Face it! This Ravens team is not all of that; they are not! Reality should sink in. Sure they can beat a few geriatric teams but last night's performance ACROSS THE BOARD (with a few bright spots but not many) by the players including Lamar was damn right pathetic and pitiful! They all shrivelled up and disappeared in PRIMETIME under the BIG LIGHTS! They were outcoached, outplayed and outwitted the ENTIRE night by a far more SUPERIOR team (personnel-wise).

Their QB is better than ours.
Their WR's are better than ours.
Their TE is better than ours.
Their Defense was better than ours.
Their Coach is better than ours.
THEIR GAMEPLAN WAS BETTER THAN OURS!

Where was Snead? Where was Boykins? Where was Hollywood? Where was Andrews? Where was the Pass Rush? Where was the Defense? And damn it; WHERE WAS LAMAR? :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Mahomes and company "TOYED" with the Ravens defense all game! They did whatever, however, and whenever they wanted to do! These Ravens got a ton of work to do before they can even be considered a playoff team let alone a Super Bowl contender.

Venting over!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's my thoughts:
1. Offense wasn't good. No bones about it. Much, much, much more disappointed in our defense though. We made very few critical stops, and KC did literally whatever they wanted.
I'll say it now... if we scored 40 points on offense last night, we still lose. Mahomes would have hung 50 if he wanted to. They could throw it on every down and we had nothing to stop him. Peters was horrible all night long, our young Safeties and linebackers had no idea what to do anytime the Chiefs put players in motion (which was nearly every play), the tackling was pathetic, and as we've come to expect, we can't get pressure without blitzing. And when we blitzed, Mahomes bent us over.
2. A lot of people emphasizing the "primetime" aspect. I could care less. That's just media hype. Primetime games aren't bigger than any other game. 1pm games on Sunday count exactly the same in the Standings as MNF games do. The only difference is how many people were watching, and I don't really care how many people are watching.
3. It's one game. If we blew the Chiefs out, I'd be telling you its one game. We need to figure out a way to play better against them, so the next time we do, we're more prepared. Whether that's coaching, personnel, etc.
You won't see us get blown out like that again. No other team in this league, quite frankly, is capable of doing what they just did in my eyes.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
We played one of the worst games I've seen us play in a while, from both a coaching and execution standpoint, and we still "only" lost by 14. That's not great, but with a team as young as ours an early loss in the season against the best team in the league will hopefully show us where we need to improve. This game was a trial by fire for deshon Elliott, Queen, and Harrison on defense. They'll go back into the film room and learn from it and be better because of it. I'd rather have these teaching moments early in the season.

We played one of the worst games I've seen us play in a while, from both a coaching and execution standpoint, and we still "only" lost by 14. That's not great, but with a team as young as ours an early loss in the season against the best team in the league will hopefully show us where we need to improve. This game was a trial by fire for deshon Elliott, Queen, and Harrison on defense. They'll go back into the film room and learn from it and be better because of it. I'd rather have these teaching moments early in the season.

If they do manage to learn from it then this game won't bother us at all by the end of the season. Here's hoping.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Offense wasn't good. No bones about it. Much, much, much more disappointed in our defense though. We made very few critical stops, and KC did literally whatever they wanted.
Do you think tho that this is probably as good as the defense will get considering the personnel we have? I'm sorry but if Judon is our best pass rusher we are never beating Mahomes. We can beat up on sorry teams on D, but not the elite ones.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't like how Roman panics once we fall behind. You're a run game genius just stick to your strengths. I get why we traded Hurst, but why do we keep Dobbins on the bench (1 carry!!!). We could've kept Hurst if we don't intend to involve Dobbins more into our game.
My rb pecking order is: Gus, Dobbins, Ingram. And Dobbins could play on 3rd down and obvious passing downs.

tbf right now dobbins is on the field a lot - its just mostly as a passing down back - he's not getting many carries but he is getting lots of snaps

Simba

Staff Member
I'm always a "blame the players" guy since they're the ones executing, and they're still at fault for that... but that was a thorough outcoaching once again.

Roman once again abandoned the run. 12 carries for the RBs, TOTAL. When the going got rough, he moved into pass mode and tried to get way too cute with it. Of course, players need to execute, but I can't fathom why we tried to move the ball laterally so much instead of vertically.

On D, I have no idea why we were so concerned with getting beat deep all game. I know the pass rush isn't getting it done and you have to scheme pressure, but there's no reason CBs should be playing 10 yards off with the Ss like 20 yards deep. They killed us in the intermediate range and we never adjusted.

True definition of a team loss (sans ST). Coaching was terrible. Players were terrible.

Pick it up, learn from it, and move on to WFT.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
we ran so many bootlegs and that's notoriously been one of our least effective plays with lamar (i think someone on twitter actually had those statistics during the game but cant remember who - that actually quantified how bad we've been on boots)

we didnt play to our strengths at all
Wow really? Yea we need a new game plan

Do you think tho that this is probably as good as the defense will get considering the personnel we have? I'm sorry but if Judon is our best pass rusher we are never beating Mahomes. We can beat up on sorry teams on D, but not the elite ones.
I think the rookies will improve. Queen Harrison and company never even had a preseason. They, especially, should get better as the season progresses.
Pass rush is a concern, has been for a while. I don't know that they have the personelle to really fix that. The secondary might just have to man up and assist with coverage sacks. Maybe Harbs cam schmooze some refs so that flags will be thrown when olineman are undressing the D.
I dont see the pass rush becoming fantastic in the traditional sense this year with the people they have. There is no prime Suggs on this team. But they can still work with what they have.

As the saying goes, if you cant have the one you love, love the one you're with.

Last edited:
Not even a trade would help us beat kc. We need so much more than players.
True. Imagine if they traded for say the best (healthy) running back in the league...that wouldn't stop the coaches from abandoning the run.

We know this because they already have the best rushing team I league history, yet....