• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Andy Reid, The Coaching and The Everything Else

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you think tho that this is probably as good as the defense will get considering the personnel we have? I'm sorry but if Judon is our best pass rusher we are never beating Mahomes. We can beat up on sorry teams on D, but not the elite ones.
I think the group that was out there last night is the group we'll be with all season. The cavalry isn't coming. There isn't going to be a trade for a gamechanger.

So they'll need to coach/play better. Pure and simple. And I don't think its impossible either.

My biggest takeaway from last night is that fans think once they've seen something that they'll see that always. That Chiefs team that played last night looked NOTHING like the Chiefs teams that played 8 days earlier. Same players, coaches, etc. They just executed and coached at a much, much, much higher level in this game. It happens. The "any given Sunday" mantra is a real thing.

Schematically, the Chiefs are the kryptonite on defense because they're better than our strengths. Our strengths are exotic blitzes and man coverage. Mahomes eats blitzes for breakfast. If we don't get pressure without blitzing the next time we play them, we won't win that game either. Which means the guys we have will simply have to play better, or we'll lose.

I don't think the sky is falling because no other team in the league does what they do. I don't have the same concerns about our schemes against, say, Pittsburgh, or New England.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm calling it right now. This Ravens team is not as good as last years. In fact, I'm skeptical we will make the playoffs and the extra playoff berth
for each conference this year may slide us in.
If we can't handle the Chiefs pass rush and front line ,how are we going to handle the Steelers ?

I'm calling it right now. This Ravens team is not as good as last years. In fact, I'm skeptical we will make the playoffs and the extra playoff berth
If we can't handle the Chiefs pass rush and front line ,how are we going to handle the Steelers ?
The same way they did last year? (When they also couldn't handle KC)
I'm more concerned about how Ben changes Pitts offense, but he might be injured by then. Dude is too old for all this. Eli, Rivers, and Ben should all be retired.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. The Steelers aren't going to score 34+ points on us. They don't have the fire power on offense to do that.
2. The Chiefs create interior pass rush, and generally do it without blitzing. The Steelers get a lot of their pressure off the edge, which will be beneficial to Lamar.
3. Skeptical we're going to make the playoffs? You're going to need to find like 6-7 more losses on the schedule to make that claim. I think that would be borderline impossible to argue at this point.

Who else on our schedule looks overwhelming to us? Pittsburgh certainly isn't. New England? Dallas, who can't stop anybody from scoring?

I don't expect us to have a better record than last season. We were 14-2 last year. Its hard to do better than 14-2. Not many teams in league history have done better than 14-2. We could go 11-5 and still be "better" than last season. I'll go to the grave telling you the 2011 Ravens were better than the 2012 Ravens. The 2012 SB Champion Ravens had a LOT of problems. Ironically, they got bent over at home by a superior team also.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
This shit hurt, but the sky isn't falling. Coaching needs to be better and the team needs to use these weeks to work on the passing game/concepts. Hollywood was getting free. Lamar needs to do his part.

Simba

Staff Member
We played poorly but people always forget that the Chiefs are a damn good team as well and arguably the most dangerous in the league. They were just a better team yesterday. Not many teams go against the Chiefs and win. We're a good team but we just went up against the reigning SB champs who might have a better team this year than they did last year. Not everything is reflection of us being a poor team. Just have to treat it as a learning opportunity and do better next time we see them. If we don't, that's a sign of a larger problem. But for right now, we lost a game against a great team. Learn from it and move onto WFT.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
O-Line looked very shaky. This is the second time in a big game I see Andrews play like this. Lamar missed some big plays with his arm as well.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
O-Line looked very shaky. This is the second time in a big game I see Andrews play like this. Lamar missed some big plays with his arm as well.
I'll be very interested to see Oline scoring this week. Maybe I wasn't watching it closely enough, because I was too fascinated with how horrible our defense was playing, but I really didn't think the Oline was that bad until later in the game. It feels like we had some sacks late in the game, and fans decided those were a reflection of the whole performance.

I do know Orlando Brown stood out as not having a good game. I saw at least 2-3 heavy sacks or pressures from his side, and he had the horrible false start penalty that killed a potential TD drive while the game was still somewhat within reach.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
We played poorly but people always forget that the Chiefs are a damn good team as well and arguably the most dangerous in the league. They were just a better team yesterday. Not many teams go against the Chiefs and win. We're a good team but we just went up against the reigning SB champs who might have a better team this year than they did last year. Not everything is reflection of us being a poor team. Just have to treat it as a learning opportunity and do better next time we see them. If we don't, that's a sign of a larger problem. But for right now, we lost a game against a great team. Learn from it and move onto WFT.
...and they made a couple of mistakes and still managed to win comfortably.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i just dont understand what witchcraft they used to sign everyone they have lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll be very interested to see Oline scoring this week. Maybe I wasn't watching it closely enough, because I was too fascinated with how horrible our defense was playing, but I really didn't think the Oline was that bad until later in the game. It feels like we had some sacks late in the game, and fans decided those were a reflection of the whole performance.

I do know Orlando Brown stood out as not having a good game. I saw at least 2-3 heavy sacks or pressures from his side, and he had the horrible false start penalty that killed a potential TD drive while the game was still somewhat within reach.

i think on review we're going to find that some of those orlando brown pressures/sacks were not actually on him but were at the end of the game more the chiefs overload blitzing and him abandoning the outside man to take the inside man (which is what you're coached to do)

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Simba

Staff Member
...and they made a couple of mistakes and still managed to win comfortably.

And that's okay. That's what good teams do. Losing to a good team doesn't automatically make us a bad team though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just dont understand what witchcraft they used to sign everyone they have lol
Well, like we've said before, Mahomes is still filthy cheap this year and relatively cheap next year.

When your QB has a cap hit of less than $10M, you can sign pretty much anybody.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbf right now dobbins is on the field a lot - its just mostly as a passing down back - he's not getting many carries but he is getting lots of snaps
He's been steadily in the 20-25 snaps per game range all season so far.

Through 3 weeks:
Ingram: 48 snaps
Dobbins: 43 snaps
Edwards: 35 snaps

So its been pretty balanced, though I don't think you see Edwards much early in games, which is what some people are clamoring for. I do agree that Ingram looks to be the least effective back of the group through 3 weeks.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just can’t get over the fact that Matt Judon is 17m against the ravens salary cap, and we passed on clowney, ngakoue, and Jamal Adams for him, and also missed out on probably a 2nd round pick because he could’ve been traded...