• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good (?), the Bad and the Ugly: Week 4 Edition

You weren't trying to prove anything because you have no leg to stand on in that argument.

The Ravens skill positions are truthfully probably average or above average when compared with the rest of the NFL, but Flacco is producing like a bottom three quarterback.
I have to admit this as well, I used to defend Joe religiously on the old site but I have to accept things for the way they are. I honestly think we have it better on the offensive end then plenty of QBs who are preforming better than Joe. I don't know why all the sudden Mike Wallace and Jeremy Maclin are some scrubs to people. Months ago we were saying that this is Joe's best group of receivers ever.

I have to give a good deal of blame to Marty, guy needs to scheme receivers open and right now that isn't happening.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I have to admit this as well, I used to defend Joe religiously on the old site but I have to accept things for the way they are. I honestly think we have it better on the offensive end then plenty of QBs who are preforming better than Joe. I don't know why all the sudden Mike Wallace and Jeremy Maclin are some scrubs to people. Months ago we were saying that this is Joe's best group of receivers ever.

I have to give a good deal of blame to Marty, guy needs to scheme receivers open and right now that isn't happening.
Between Marty, Flacco and Harbaugh, life of Julio Jones in Baltimore would be absolute hell.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

Yeah, I mean, I, like just about every single other person on the boards, were so hyped up for Jeremy Maclin. You'd think the Ravens just won the SB when the Ravens nabbed him in FA... and now he's just some scrub. And as far as Wallace goes, we know Damn well he's capable of putting up a 1,000 yard season because he did it last year with the Ravens. Why is he only getting 3 catches for like 20 yards for the first three games?

It's really hard to put it on the receivers as much as people want to when we've seen these players perform here in Baltimore (Wallace) or perform well outside of Baltimore in many schemes (Maclin).

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Actually the argument was that the receivers were not helping him.
Breshad Perriman has 2 catches from 12 targets. Wallace has 9 catches from 19 targets. Just between those 2 alone there are certainly many more than 4 passes that should have been caught.

Stevie Wonder can see that Flacco needs to be better, and he can also see that the Ravens receivers need to be better as well.
I'm not going to argue that the receivers are a group of All-Pros, but Flacco, in many instances, is not even putting the ball into a catchable spot for these guys.

The drop by Wallace was absolutely egregious and it was absurd that he dropped that pass without any contact. But for every one of those passes, we have ones like the one to Maclin in the first quarter where it counts as a target to Maclin, but there wasn't a prayer in the world that the ball would even come close to reaching Maclin.

I'd be curious if anyone has a PFF subscription because I know they measure the amount of "catchable" passes by a quarterback. I think that'd be the closest we'd get to a stat that would give us something meaningful.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Actually the argument was that the receivers were not helping him.
Breshad Perriman has 2 catches from 12 targets. Wallace has 9 catches from 19 targets. Just between those 2 alone there are certainly many more than 4 passes that should have been caught.

Stevie Wonder can see that Flacco needs to be better, and he can also see that the Ravens receivers need to be better as well.

so many of flaccos balls are "adjustment balls" for the receivers its downright pitiful. hes never been good at hitting a check down back in stride but the miss of perriman sunday was his kinda throw and it was inexcusable. something is clearly wrong with joejoe. its mental its physical, as in his back aint right, or its both, but he is so far down the toilet bowl i say leave him there. they culda traded him for value and now "they" get credit for playing him into oblivion or sitting his worthless hide on the bench and paying him mega millions to watch. this aint on joejoe. this is on ozze, decost and bisciotti.

joejoe became a liability sunday. we get nothin now. that said he should be able to beat a carrless raiders team and if he can't CUT HIM immediately and just eat the dead dollars. we are eatin them anyways

the good news is by the time they actually start mallet we'll prolly already have a pretty good draft pick locked up. who utilizes it then becomes the question\

Yeah, I mean, I, like just about every single other person on the boards, were so hyped up for Jeremy Maclin. You'd think the Ravens just won the SB when the Ravens nabbed him in FA... and now he's just some scrub. And as far as Wallace goes, we know Damn well he's capable of putting up a 1,000 yard season because he did it last year with the Ravens. Why is he only getting 3 catches for like 20 yards for the first three games?

It's really hard to put it on the receivers as much as people want to when we've seen these players perform here in Baltimore (Wallace) or perform well outside of Baltimore in many schemes (Maclin).
Oh man I thought our offense was going to do great things. Once again injuries has completely ruined things. Joe's back injury really hurt the chemistry and timing between him and the receivers. Yanda and Lewis going down to injuries was a blow to our pass protection. I'm really upset at why this team just keeps getting bit by the injury bug like this.

I don't know why those guys are underperforming the way they are but I know damn well they can play, I think they'll get it right but unfortunately I think it will be too late. Let's hope they get it together within these next two weeks. This passing game is legit on pace to be worse then our 2013 passing game and that makes no sense to me what so ever.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think it's as routine as Dan Fouts wanted to make it or as some here are trying to make it to defend Flacco.

Perriman had clearly committed inside and had to re-adjust his body to go back outside after committing inside and it's not an easy contortion to make.

Could a SSS, Boldin, Fitzgerald, etc. make that catch? Sure, but we're talking about some of the best hands in the NFL. This isn't a routine catch.
This is exactly what it looks like in the gif.

arnie_uk

Veteran
I don't think it's as routine as Dan Fouts wanted to make it or as some here are trying to make it to defend Flacco.

Perriman had clearly committed inside and had to re-adjust his body to go back outside after committing inside and it's not an easy contortion to make.

Could a SSS, Boldin, Fitzgerald, etc. make that catch? Sure, but we're talking about some of the best hands in the NFL. This isn't a routine catch.
No body is bloody defending flacco. Me and tank have both said it was an awful throw. People here read what they want to.

It was an awful throw, AWFUL THROW, but good wideouts around the league still bail your qb out. We dont have that on bmore

arnie_uk

Veteran
I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just telling you how I see the catch and backing it up with a gif.
saying someones opinion is " seeing what they want to see" is calling there opinion out.

Youve just said your right and tank and i are wrong. Its condescending.

Oh and for the record, you didnt argue against bmorebird that perriman did jump like you have been doing against me and tank for 3 and 4 pages.

Dont worry we all see it

Last edited:

arnie_uk

Veteran
How can flacco miss a wide open perriman for a td (who still should have caught that) then throw that td pass?

Cmon man

Ones an elite pass only a handful of qbs can make, the one to perriman i reckon i could hit

You need to re watch it, he didn't "jump", even an inch. In fact he drug his feet as if he were at the sideline trying to stay in bounds, kinda weird actually. Not a great pass, ball was a bit high but not grossly overthrown and definitely catchable.

lol......I know Flacco sucked yesterday but the ball thrown to Perriman should have been caught. As Fouts said "That ball was high but should be caught by any NFL receiver". He was 5 yards from the sideline! Jumping a couple of inches puts the ball in his hands and he would be no where near going out of bounds.

I want to see Perriman succeed as much as anyone but like I said before the longer the board hands issues persist the less likely it's fixed.

Tank nor i said that. Flacco missed a wide open td. Perriman should still have a caught it. Pitta boldin would have bailed him out.

There is catches made like that weekly!

Let me reiterate. It was an awful throw

There are a brave few that will no matter what.

That's the point, no one is defending Flacco here, his play has been poor. But the fact is many around him have been playing poorly as well and some just don't want to admit it.
jesus christ.

No one is defending or excusing flacco. It was a shit throw. But a good wideout still makes the catch. Fuck me some people here just read what they what to and ignore everything else thats been said

RayRayRaven

Veteran
No body is bloody defending flacco. Me and tank have both said it was an awful throw. People here read what they want to.

It was an awful throw, AWFUL THROW, but good wideouts around the league still bail your qb out. We dont have that on bmore
no receiver in the nfl was catching that ball. it was one of flaccos lasers he saw his wide open target, set his feet well and let her rip. it got there fast, it got there high and it got their to the wrong side. it was a td that didn't get to happen and NO nfl receiver would have snagged it.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
jesus christ.

No one is defending or excusing flacco. It was a shit throw. But a good wideout still makes the catch. Fuck me some people here just read what they what to and ignore everything else thats been said

no way it was definitely uncatchable. it was a wild pitch and the runner scored.

Purple&Black#20

Practice Squad
Only Calvin Johnson would of caught that pass. Stop making excuses for him. The only reason I say Calvin is because he's 6'5, good hands and can jump out the gym. The throw was awful like many.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Only Calvin Johnson would of caught that pass. Stop making excuses for him. The only reason I say Calvin is because he's 6'5, good hands and can jump out the gym. The throw was awful like many.
Again, who the hell is making excuses. Read our damn posts. It was an AWFUL throw but i watch redzone every week and see receivers make catches like that weekly

Purple&Black#20

Practice Squad
Again, who the hell is making excuses. Read our damn posts. It was an AWFUL throw but i watch redzone every week and see receivers make catches like that weekly
Well don't bring up you watching redzone every week and call it for what it is. This should of never been nothing to debate about in the first place. He's garbage!! Call it for what it is. Fuck your post! I care about the play!!

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Perriman, sometimes for reasons beyond his control and sometimes not has done nothing more almost 3 seasons.

the trajectory is clear with this guy. Bad hands, bad routes and a beta personality.

Purple&Black#20

Practice Squad
Perriman, sometimes for reasons beyond his control and sometimes not has done nothing more almost 3 seasons.

the trajectory is clear with this guy. Bad hands, bad routes and a beta personality.
I understand your hands argument but 3 years? He didn't play the his entire rookie year but you hold that against him. Feed him and things will happen. He drop a pass and his number isn't called again. The great ones drop passes and they go right back to them.