• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good (?), the Bad and the Ugly: Week 4 Edition

arnie_uk

Veteran
Well don't bring up you watching redzone every week and call it for what it is. This should of never been nothing to debate about in the first place. He's garbage!! Call it for what it is. Fuck your post! I care about the play!!
Dont understand the first part of this post at all?

Whos garbage? Flacco? Again read my posts... if claimed he was crap already and he should have made that pass, i even claimed i could probably have made the pass.

I also care about the play, hence my discussion on it!

In fact, i have no idea what any of your post is about.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I understand your hands argument but 3 years? He didn't play the his entire rookie year but you hold that against him. Feed him and things will happen. He drop a pass and his number isn't called again. The great ones drop passes and they go right back to them.

the great ones are not perriman. Perriman is simply a great athlete and very below average football player.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
the reality is both joejoe and perriman have been less than underwhelming. 'the throw" as it has come to be known in ravens lore was a joe flacco exclusive and its up to him to rise above it sunday.

when baltbird asked the board to rank our skilled offensive players, trying to come up with them pretty much says it all. But who is that on?

arnie_uk

Veteran
the reality is both joejoe and perriman have been less than underwhelming. 'the throw" as it has come to be known in ravens lore was a joe flacco exclusive and its up to him to rise above it sunday.

when baltbird asked the board to rank our skilled offensive players, trying to come up with them pretty much says it all. But who is that on?
Our current most explosive, most threatening player is a cast off running back in alex collins, that includes or qb. Thats on ozzie

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Did i ever say hes a bust in any of my posts because of this particular drop?

Nopeeee again reading what you want to read
Well that's been the trend. I tend to not really remember who said what, sorry about that. To me it's still an impossible catch and it's 100% on Flacco for not dropping it in front of Perriman. Maclin doesn't make that catch, Wallace doesn't. Actually only Julio could have a good chance to reach it.

arnie_uk

Veteran
It was a horrible throw. No one has claimed otherwise. But he should catch it in book. He didnt jump he just stretched. If he got a jump in he reels it in. You can see in the still pics he's about an inch of the ground. Even 5 inches more hed catch it because it hit his fingertips
Well that's been the trend. I tend to not really remember who said what, sorry about that. To me it's still an impossible catch and it's 100% on Flacco for not dropping it in front of Perriman. Maclin doesn't make that catch, Wallace doesn't. Actually only Julio could have a good chance to reach it.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It was a horrible throw. No one has claimed otherwise. But he should catch it in book. He didnt jump he just stretched. If he got a jump in he reels it in. You can see in the still pics he's about an inch of the ground. Even 5 inches more hed catch it because it hit his fingertips
I can see, I've rewatched it several times, and asking a dude to turn around, change direction and jump backwards is too much. BP has made some spectacular grabs, this one was just not physically possible and it's not a problem of space awareness like I've seen some say.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can see, I've rewatched it several times, and asking a dude to turn around, change direction and jump backwards is too much. BP has made some spectacular grabs, this one was just not physically possible and it's not a problem of space awareness like I've seen some say.

Exactly! Here you go bro:

https://gfycat.com/ifr/PoorShabbyDodobird

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
But Truth, he's a first round receiver. He has to defy the laws of physics in order to make that catch(Fwiw. This isn't logic. By this "logic" it's acceptable for Antonio Brown to not make the catch but Breshad should be crucified"). Truth is right. Otherwise he should be cut ASAP...
It's similar to the comments echoed about a non-catch against the Steelers from the year before. Granted in this instance, I was significantly off the mark about how far he was from the boundary; I couldn't find a replay prior to making my initial comment, spit-balled it from memory, and was underestimated the distance. That said, in reviewing the play, the notion that the reception wasn't just feasible but was also expected appears to either gloss over the inner workings of movement and momentum or disregard them entirely. Going through the breakdown, conceptually speaking, the play call and the initial execution were essentially perfect.

We line up in a trips right, with Ben Watson technically as the inside slot WR, Breshad Perriman as the outside slot WR, and Mike Wallace as the Z on the outside. Michael Campanaro is the X receiver on the opposite side, and Jeremy Maclin is technically at RB (Link). The Steelers deploy a Cover 3 from their base 3-4 defense with off-coverage on the outside, and we counter with a flood concept route combination that was a Cover 3 killer. Wallace runs a fade toward the back of the end zone to occupy Joe Haden, who is covering that respective third. Ben Watson runs a 5 yard hitch, drawing Vince Williams, who's covering the hook zone. Camapanaro immediately looks back and shuffles his way forward signifying his designation as a space-eater; he's covered by T.J. Watt in the flat route with Arnie Burns standing idly overhead. Here's where the development gets interesting. Maclin runs a flat route with Perriman running the out-and-up. Bud Dupree initially sticks to Perriman, who head-fakes the out route, compelling Dupree to crash down on the open Maclin. Dupree does this because the entire shell is rolled to the trips side prior to the play, and Sean Davis is intended to cover the curl zone where Perriman is running his route; however, he's duped by the head-fake and doubles on Watson's hitch route, allowing Perriman to cut upfield and sprint at an angle favoring the pylon. The ball is thrown as Perriman is sprinting forward, which is thrown towards short towards his outside shoulder, and there lies the problem.

He's on the last stage of the out-and-up, meaning he will innately look for the ball by turning to his inside shoulder. His momentum is carrying him upfield angled towards the sideline in the direction that he's sprinting. In order to adjust for the throw, he's limited to an immediate two-step process of having to slow his momentum with just his trailing leg while beginning the shuffle, and attempting to leap and drastically change direction using only his lead leg, which is moving upfield, to generate enough torque to adjust for a throw that requires both a 270° turn and a jump angled in that same direction prior to the turn. For those playing at home, that's when you can wipe away your scoreboard. Realistically speaking, that goes from improbable to borderline impossible. Jordy Nelson had a similar situation in 2011 wherein he came down with the ridiculous grab, and even in his scenario, it was a much more expected back-shoulder throw on an upright vertical fade and he had enough time to slow his momentum with both his trailing and leading legs, switch to a shuffle, and then launch himself afterwards with both legs to propel himself into the direction of the throw. And that reception was so mind-blowing, it was featured on SportsScience, and it remains memorable a half-decade later. Personally, I was almost surprised that it even touched Perriman's left hand when it happened live. I've been as disappointed as anyone with the underwhelming performance to begin the year, but the suggestions of this being a routine grab portrays an almost disheartening disregard for how our bodies are able to move and operate. Even if you're sticking to that contentious notion, Perriman was free of any defender by a literal radius of 6 yards. It's hard to argue that making that throw is more difficult than making that catch, so the general focus seems to be partially displaced.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
It's similar to the comments echoed about a non-catch against the Steelers from the year before. Granted in this instance, I was significantly off the mark about how far he was from the boundary; I couldn't find a replay prior to making my initial comment, spit-balled it from memory, and was underestimated the distance. That said, in reviewing the play, the notion that the reception wasn't just feasible but was also expected appears to either gloss over the inner workings of movement and momentum or disregard them entirely. Going through the breakdown, conceptually speaking, the play call and the initial execution were essentially perfect.

We line up in a trips right, with Ben Watson technically as the inside slot WR, Breshad Perriman as the outside slot WR, and Mike Wallace as the Z on the outside. Michael Campanaro is the X receiver on the opposite side, and Jeremy Maclin is technically at RB (Link). The Steelers deploy a Cover 3 from their base 3-4 defense with off-coverage on the outside, and we counter with a flood concept route combination that was a Cover 3 killer. Wallace runs a fade toward the back of the end zone to occupy Joe Haden, who is covering that respective third. Ben Watson runs a 5 yard hitch, drawing Vince Williams, who's covering the hook zone. Camapanaro immediately looks back and shuffles his way forward signifying his designation as a space-eater; he's covered by T.J. Watt in the flat route with Arnie Burns standing idly overhead. Here's where the development gets interesting. Maclin runs a flat route with Perriman running the out-and-up. Bud Dupree initially sticks to Perriman, who head-fakes the out route, compelling Dupree to crash down on the open Maclin. Dupree does this because the entire shell is rolled to the trips side prior to the play, and Sean Davis is intended to cover the curl zone where Perriman is running his route; however, he's duped by the head-fake and doubles on Watson's hitch route, allowing Perriman to cut upfield and sprint at an angle favoring the pylon. The ball is thrown as Perriman is sprinting forward, which is thrown towards short towards his outside shoulder, and there lies the problem.

He's on the last stage of the out-and-up, meaning he will innately look for the ball by turning to his inside shoulder. His momentum is carrying him upfield angled towards the sideline in the direction that he's sprinting. In order to adjust for the throw, he's limited to an immediate two-step process of having to slow his momentum with just his trailing leg while beginning the shuffle, and attempting to leap and drastically change direction with the lead leg, which is moving upfield, to generate enough torque to adjust for a throw that requires both a 270° turn and a jump angled in that same direction prior to the turn. For those playing at home, that's when you can wipe away your scoreboard. Realistically speaking, that goes from improbable to borderline impossible. Jordy Nelson had a similar situation in 2011 wherein he came down with the ridiculous grab, and even in his scenario, it was a much more expected back-shoulder throw on an upright vertical fade and he had enough time to slow his momentum with both his trailing and leading legs, switch to a shuffle, and then launch himself afterwards with both legs to propel himself into the direction of the throw. And that reception was so mind-blowing, it was featured on SportsScience, and it remains memorable a half-decade later. Personally, I was almost surprised that it even touched Perriman's left hand when it happened live. I've been as disappointed as anyone with the underwhelming performance to begin the year, but the suggestions of this being a routine grab portrays an almost disheartening disregard for how our bodies are able to move and operate. Even if you're sticking to that contentious notion, Perriman was free of any defender by a literal radius of 6 yards. It's hard to argue that making that throw is more difficult than making that catch, so the general focus seems to be partially displaced.

F*** Perriman and f*** science! It hit him right in the hands...

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just want to see Perriman get freaking 8-10 Targets a game. Throw him in the deep end and see if he swims or drowns. We aren’t getting anywhere with him seeing 2-3 targets a game

Tank

Hall of Famer

He's on the last stage of the out-and-up, meaning he will innately look for the ball by turning to his inside shoulder. His momentum is carrying him upfield angled towards the sideline in the direction that he's sprinting. In order to adjust for the throw, he's limited to an immediate two-step process of having to slow his momentum with just his trailing leg while beginning the shuffle, and attempting to leap and drastically change direction with the lead leg, which is moving upfield, to generate enough torque to adjust for a throw that requires both a 270° turn and a jump angled in that same direction prior to the turn. For those playing at home, that's when you can wipe away your scoreboard. Realistically speaking, that goes from improbable to borderline impossible. Jordy Nelson had a similar situation in 2011 wherein he came down with the ridiculous grab, and even in his scenario, it was a much more expected back-shoulder throw on an upright vertical fade and he had enough time to slow his momentum with both his trailing and leading legs, switch to a shuffle, and then launch himself afterwards with both legs to propel himself into the direction of the throw. And that reception was so mind-blowing, it was featured on SportsScience, and it remains memorable a half-decade later. Personally, I was almost surprised that it even touched Perriman's left hand when it happened live. I've been as disappointed as anyone with the underwhelming performance to begin the year, but the suggestions of this being a routine grab portrays an almost disheartening disregard for how our bodies are able to move and operate. Even if you're sticking to that contentious notion, Perriman was free of any defender by a literal radius of 6 yards. It's hard to argue that making that throw is more difficult than making that catch, so the general focus seems to be partially displaced.
This is a very thorough breakdown, appreciate the time you took to review it and give your opinion. I do have to say though that when pausing the video I see BP turned and facing Flacco with the ball still 10 or 15 yards away. It seems he could have jumped at least enough to make the catch, rather than dragging his feet, would only have needed a few inches. Granted, not enough time or body position for a giant leap, but not impossible or improbable for at least a small jump. Definitely an athletic move, but hey, he's an athlete. That said, after watching the damn thing way too many times I think it was a much tougher catch than I first thought, but not quite as improbable as you stated. I think we see guys like Green, Brown, Sanu, etc. make this catch. Just my view and opinion.

And this disclaimer isn't meant for you....... Please boys and girls we all know it was a terrible throw and this post is not in defense of Flacco or his performance. lol

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just want to see BP with a competent quarterback. There are plenty of great NFL receivers who have had problems holding onto the ball. Just gotta build his confidence and he could be a very good receiver. But his confidence will never grow if he keeps seeing minimal targets

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Perriman looks like he gave up on Flacco, his body language looks horrible.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
That's a hell of a plot twist lol.

"Fuck you Joe, you turned me into a joke. I was finna be the next Rice"
Lmao Perriman is a god at running a straight line but man whenever he tries to make a move on a defender or change his direction he looks awkward as hell. Whenever he is running I am leaning the opposite way on my couch thinking that it will help prevent him from falling over.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
So he's a bust because he didn't make a highlight reel catch. Kay.

He's almost a bust but because he literally has dropped a pass every game and doesn't have a single game with 1st round pick numbers.

I get everyone wants to kill Flacco but Perriman is not innocent in the slightest bit