• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Offence and The Passing Game

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did Lamar get to train with his normal offseason coach this year? I’m wondering if that’s a bit part why he’s looked worse this year. It would explain a lot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Did Lamar get to train with his normal offseason coach this year? I’m wondering if that’s a bit part why he’s looked worse this year. It would explain a lot.

he didnt get to practice most of this week - would explain more i think than not getting with coach harris - i know he got with the rest of the receivers but i dont know if he actually got to spend time with harris

lamar said he worked all offseason on deep balls and throws to the outside and yet he somehow seems to have got worse so you've got to think whatever it was he was doing wasn't working

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
he didnt get to practice most of this week - would explain more i think than not getting with coach harris - i know he got with the rest of the receivers but i dont know if he actually got to spend time with harris

lamar said he worked all offseason on deep balls and throws to the outside and yet he somehow seems to have got worse so you've got to think whatever it was he was doing wasn't working
I remember Lamar’s high school coaches saying he needs constant practice to play his best . It’s why two weeks off last year before playing the Titans was not good .

Reactions: cdp

D1City55

Pro Bowler
We really need to make a move for a WR if we want to win a SB this year. IDK why or how the team went into next season with virtually the same group of guys but they had too much confidence in them. I'm done with Boykin. He's never going to be that guy for us, I was hoping he would take that next step but him and Lamar have not been on the same page at all this season and he's got his own issues. He does not play up to his size, not quick or fast enough, doesn't have a good release of LOS and his routes are shaking, I rarely see him sell on a route. Duvernay is definitely the better option of the two and should get more touches.

Snead on the other hand is not a #2. He might be for what he's required to do blocking wise but we were going to have to throw the Football more this season and Snead is not good enough in that role. His route tree is limited to the short and intermediate routes and he's solid at best, you don't want someone like him as your #2.

The OL needs to get better as well. RG play has mediocre and that's a big deal when you're going from Yanda to Philips/Mekari, thats a massive drop off. Zeus has taken a massive step back this year and Skura is still trying to work himself back from injury. I'm hopeful that the OL play will improve given the lack of Pre-season/OTAs and hopefully they are able to get back to where they were last year, especially given the type of year Bozeman is having, he's been our best player on the line and is a candidate for an extension.

As far as Lamar looking worse this year. I mean he had a sensational year last year and it's easier to say he's regressed but Jessie Bates after the game pretty much said the only players Lamar is throwing to is Hollywood and Andrews. I don't think it's Lamar regressing, I think it's defenses realizing there are only two threats on the field and the OL is not opening enough nor getting to the 2nd level well enough to open holes. Teams have had an entire offseason to look back on the tape and make adjustments, the Ravens themselves did not do that. It's almost as if they did not anticipate it. I think they got a little too confident.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
For record Ingram finished with 11 carries for 57 yards which was largely spurred on by his very strong second half so it is weird to me to say he looks slow. Edwards is the one who had 7 carries for 25 yards so he was clearly the dead weight stat wise.

However, most of the running woes I just put on the interior OLine not being able to make any holes. A RB cannot run through a wall after all.

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
I don't understand the game plan we had. We were going up against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL with a QB who barely practiced this week and yet we decided to throw the ball 37 fucking times. I just don't understand what GRo was thinking when he was putting this together it makes no sense to me

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As far as Lamar looking worse this year. I mean he had a sensational year last year and it's easier to say he's regressed but Jessie Bates after the game pretty much said the only players Lamar is throwing to is Hollywood and Andrews. I don't think it's Lamar regressing, I think it's defenses realizing there are only two threats on the field and the OL is not opening enough nor getting to the 2nd level well enough to open holes. Teams have had an entire offseason to look back on the tape and make adjustments, the Ravens themselves did not do that. It's almost as if they did not anticipate it. I think they got a little too confident.

on this point its definitely this but also lamar's missing throws and making bad reads when theyre there

i agree we need WR help too but I just dont know where that comes from before the trade deadline

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For record Ingram finished with 11 carries for 57 yards which was largely spurred on by his very strong second half so it is weird to me to say he looks slow. Edwards is the one who had 7 carries for 25 yards so he was clearly the dead weight stat wise.

However, most of the running woes I just put on the interior OLine not being able to make any holes. A RB cannot run through a wall after all.

right but he got 34 yards of those 75 on 2 carries in 1 drive... take those away and you get 9 carries for 23 yards through the rest of the game - that's less than 3 ypc