• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Oakland

RavensDFan

Veteran
and to your point that other teams dont crap the bed when they have injuries - look at the rest of the league and tell me that there arent some formerly good teams who are absolutely crapping the bed when just 1 or 2 players go down at certain positions...

Name one. Since they're all over the league, just name one. And not one that is simply bad, but that you can say hey this ONE guy is out and that is why we suck. Because that has been the narrative for years.

Just for a little perspective, we have 16 guys on IR, the Jags, who demolished us, have 13. And there are several other teams in the double digits with guys on IR, so just saying "we lead the league with guys on IR" is a tad misleading.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Name one. Since they're all over the league, just name one. And not one that is simply bad, but that you can say hey this ONE guy is out and that is why we suck. Because that has been the narrative for years.

Just for a little perspective, we have 16 guys on IR, the Jags, who demolished us, have 13. And there are several other teams in the double digits with guys on IR, so just saying "we lead the league with guys on IR" is a tad misleading.
It’s not the amount, it’s who we lost that makes a difference on the team. Any team for that matter if they lose a top player in the league at any position will have a drop off in the quality of play. Of course one of the injuries that isn’t being mentioned is the one that isn’t on IR and that is Joe Flacco. Like him or not, he should be playing better than he currently is and that’s a huge part of the reason we aren’t doing well, bad oline or not, he should be better.

RavensDFan

Veteran
It’s not the amount, it’s who we lost that makes a difference on the team. Any team for that matter if they lose a top player in the league at any position will have a drop off in the quality of play. Of course one of the injuries that isn’t being mentioned is the one that isn’t on IR and that is Joe Flacco. Like him or not, he should be playing better than he currently is and that’s a huge part of the reason we aren’t doing well, bad oline or not, he should be better.

I agree 100%. I even said there would absolutely be a drop off in play. Just not a drop off to the extent of the Ravens. And I mean, it does not matter who is on IR because whoever it is if we play bad suddenly they are "the guy we can't do without".

I completely agree on Flacco. He has not been the same since his injury. He did show some of the Joe we know is in there last week so hopefully he can build on that and turn it around.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree 100%. I even said there would absolutely be a drop off in play. Just not a drop off to the extent of the Ravens.

I completely agree on Flacco. He has not been the same since his injury. He did show some of the Joe we know is in there last week so hopefully he can build on that and turn it around.
We can only hope. If the offense improves then, then the defense will improve as well and soon enough Brandon Williams will be back. Atleast we all hope he will, anyway.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Ok then - here's a few players : the cardinals without David Johnson look abysmal, the cowboys without Sean lee look like a horrendous defence, if you allow me two then then even the pats offence looks average without Edelman and gronk, the packers have been poor without bakhtiari and bulaga, the seahawks miss fants and their oline which was already bad is now debilitating, the bears without Cameron Meredith and Kevin white, the vikings I imagine will suffer severely without dalvin cook, the lions are lucky not to have Greg Robinson cost them multiple games in replacement of Taylor decker so far, obj's absence led to the giants offence looking anemic and he's still not healthy and they still haven't won a game, luck for the colts or Ryan kelly for the colts, lavante David/ kwon Alexander for the bucs...

These teams all look awful in at least one phase without those guys - I don't see why we would be any different after losing our top 4 guards, top 3 scbs, 2/3 of our dline starters, our starting rb, a decent tight end, our qb (for all of training camp), 2 top special teamers and more - I don't see how you could think those things wouldn't affect and diminish the team...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ok then - here's a few players : the cardinals without David Johnson look abysmal, the cowboys without Sean lee look like a horrendous defence, if you allow me two then then even the pats offence looks average without Edelman and gronk, the packers have been poor without bakhtiari and bulaga, the seahawks miss fants and their oline which was already bad is now debilitating, the bears without Cameron Meredith and Kevin white, the vikings I imagine will suffer severely without dalvin cook, the lions are lucky not to have Greg Robinson cost them multiple games in replacement of Taylor decker so far, obj's absence led to the giants offence looking anemic and he's still not healthy and they still haven't won a game, luck for the colts or Ryan kelly for the colts, lavante David/ kwon Alexander for the bucs...

These teams all look awful in at least one phase without those guys - I don't see why we would be any different after losing our top 4 guards, top 3 scbs, 2/3 of our dline starters, our starting rb, a decent tight end, our qb (for all of training camp), 2 top special teamers and more - I don't see how you could think those things wouldn't affect and diminish the team...
And if your talking two it’s BWill and Yanda. Anyway, these are not excuses. It is factual evidence why we and other teams have looked poor.

Tru11

Practice Squad
lost starting LG and RG
lost back up LG and C.
Starting RT from last season left.
backup T and possible starting RT is playing LG.
first year starting C.
first year starters rotating at RG.

couple that with a regressing QB and well you get this shit show.
add a couple of fumbling rbs and we have probably the worst offense in franchise history.

sad part is that we finally have a decent receiver core lol.

as for the defense.
poor job in setting the edge.
bwill = the run defense.
corners are doing better.
pass rushers need to step up.
lack off speed at safety.

K-Dog

MVP
lost starting LG and RG
lost back up LG and C.
first year starting C.

add a couple of fumbling rbs and we have probably the worst offense in franchise history.

as for the defense.
bwill = the run defense.

A sad but very accurate analysis of the situation.
So very sad.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
lost starting LG and RG
lost back up LG and C.
first year starting C.

as for the defense.
bwill = the run defense.
This is all true . On offense , we also lost our best RB in Dixon , our best pass catcher out of the backfield in Woodhead .

There is no question that we've sustained some extremely devastating injuries. I think some have grown weary of this "excuse" because it has been thrown out there as the reason we've been mediocre to bad for three years running.

As the saying goes it's not so much about ability be rather about availability. Bad luck, poor training, having injury prone players or all of the above ... I don't know but hearing it over and over it just looses relevance and it turns to the bottom line and that is we're looking pretty bad right now.

Since this isn't the "Are injuries why we suck?" thread, my take on Carr being questionable is I still will be stunned if he plays. Honestly I think it would be stupid for them to throw him out there. Setting him back by rushing him in could impact their season.

If he does play that will be crazy given the 2-6 weeks out estimate given. The exact opposite of our day to day injuries turning into 2-6 week injuries.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Since this isn't the "Are injuries why we suck?" thread, my take on Carr being questionable is I still will be stunned if he plays. Honestly I think it would be stupid for them to throw him out there. Setting him back by rushing him in could impact their season.

If he does play that will be crazy given the 2-6 weeks out estimate given. The exact opposite of our day to day injuries turning into 2-6 week injuries.

the injury excuse jus doesn't play in Peoria no more. good teams have depth. then theres brandon carr. liked carr as a cb that had never missed a start in his career. he comes to Baltimore and now he's suddenly missin starts.

I'm thinkin Brandon Williams has a lisfrank

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
the injury excuse jus doesn't play in Peoria no more. good teams have depth. then theres brandon carr. liked carr as a cb that had never missed a start in his career. he comes to Baltimore and now he's suddenly missin starts.

I'm thinkin Brandon Williams has a lisfrank
Talking about Derek Carr, not Brandon Carr... Carr still has yet to miss a start...

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Talking about Derek Carr, not Brandon Carr... Carr still has yet to miss a start...

my bad thought he was talkin our carr

there carr has a broken back bone think romo had it doubt hes playin. he better not play. we want ej manual

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Carr plays even at half strength it is Sayonara Ravens! I cannot fathom Flacco standing up against the Raiders pass rush and getting a completion let alone throw TDs. He is simply the worst QB against pressure period.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If Carr plays even at half strength it is Sayonara Ravens! I cannot fathom Flacco standing up against the Raiders pass rush and getting a completion let alone throw TDs. He is simply the worst QB against pressure period.
He is one of the worst qbs with no pressure also lol

RayRayRaven

Veteran

carr aint playin we got this

Tru11

Practice Squad
carr aint playin we got this

if only it where that easy lol.

the thing is that right now as a the defense you have no idea what to expect as you dont know what the raiders will do with manuel at the helm.

sure you can expect a lot of run plays but still you have no idea what kind of run plays the raiders will use.

with carr i think they liked a lot of runs from shotgun but with manuel it could easily be a lot more from under center or even a lot of read option.
heck they might come out throwing a lot since that is the least expected lol.

the defense usually tend to struggle a lot more when they have to face the unexpected.

hope im wrong but this game seems to be a huge unknown