• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Oakland

RavensDFan

Veteran
I'm not using injuries as an excuse as to why this team isn't playing well, I'm using it as an explanation as to why you can't get upset at the FO, we still need to play better as a team. When do you see a team lose their starting guards and their back ups this early in the season? I also wouldn't say Hurst has been playing that bad, he's been decent and what else can you expect? He's a 3rd string for a reason. I've said on this same thread that other teams have worse OL units and are playing better so Joe and the offense doesn't get much of a pass, but you can't get upset at the FO, how can they plan for this?

Sorry, working so missed part of the point in your post. If the OL had been addressed in the draft, you would have brought in talent that probably would not have been starters. This increases the talent pool in your non-starters however, which means less of a drop off when a starter goes down. And let's be honest, our starting OL wasn't all that great. That right there tells you something about your non-starters talent level. Which means this is an issue we ignored.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It
Sorry, working so missed part of the point in your post. If the OL had been addressed in the draft, you would have brought in talent that probably would not have been starters. This increases the talent pool in your non-starters however, which means less of a drop off when a starter goes down. And let's be honest, our starting OL wasn't all that great. That right there tells you something about your non-starters talent level. Which means this is an issue we ignored.
It’s not that we ignored it, but the talent in the earlier rounds for the most part wasn’t that strong. The only player I would have attempted to trade up for, and maybe they did try,was Eflein. Lamp was already gone and he’s also injured. The front office is confident in Lewis. They drafted a player they thought could play this year in Goose2, and Eluemenor who was raw, but would most likely be a player that was supposed to be for the future.

Let’s be honest with ourselves. We couldn’t have foreseen losing Urschel to retirement and losing three players on the OL.

Howard has played really well, he hasn't allowed a sack and only 5 QB hurries. He's been an upgrade over Wagner in the run game and it shows on tape. Does a good job maintaining his blocks and pulling DLs. Jensen has also done well for himself at C, not elite but he's done well and looks like a upgrade over Zuttah. Stanley, while disappointing to start the season should get better and obviously you rely on him to step up. As far as Yanda goes, no explanation needed. That leaves Lewis as the odd-man out but I don't blame FO for relying on him after a promising rookie season. Outside of Lewis, the FO did well replacing Zuttah and Wagner so far, I don't see any issues with their moves outside of LG but I agreed with relying on Lewis to step up, I don't think it will happen again.

I legit think that this OL unit could've been special had it not been for the injury to Yanda and Lewis, unfortunately they went down but had it not been for that we could have had a really good unit.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since the theme is the O line here - I still have to ask ... where are these guys that we traded for? Instead, we're looking at Skura as a starter.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Except that "most important person" changes with the weather. One season it was Jimmy remember? We can't do anything with Jimmy out. Once it was Suggs. We can't generate any pass rush with Suggs out. Now, it is BWill. Seems like the most important person on defense is whoever happens to be injured when the defense has the same issues it has had for years.

Yanda is certainly a valid reason (all pro and voted best offensive lineman and such) for the drop off in performance of the OL. No doubt. However, that excuse doesn't hold for a complete and total fall down the drain.

Like I said, other teams lose important pieces and do not crap the bed.
AMEN!!!!!!

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Except that "most important person" changes with the weather. One season it was Jimmy remember? We can't do anything with Jimmy out. Once it was Suggs. We can't generate any pass rush with Suggs out. Now, it is BWill. Seems like the most important person on defense is whoever happens to be injured when the defense has the same issues it has had for years.

Yanda is certainly a valid reason (all pro and voted best offensive lineman and such) for the drop off in performance of the OL. No doubt. However, that excuse doesn't hold for a complete and total fall down the drain.

Like I said, other teams lose important pieces and do not crap the bed.

AMEN!!!!!!

still think injuries stick it to us more because the last 5 yrs we have had a very thin rooster. we just don't have the guys coming off the bench. we get a top player injured an its "oh man season over". that just aint right.

from here it looks like marshawn lynch should not have laid off a yr and we got them with a fourth rate qb. this game is our cherry for the pickin and anyone using injury as an excuse with this golden present before us is a naysayer. we have to do this. key game jus like the one vs the bengals.

positive turnovers +1 or better and we win this thing easily enough. Justin tucker for 3 final 23-10

Last edited:

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Since the theme is the O line here - I still have to ask ... where are these guys that we traded for? Instead, we're looking at Skura as a starter.
I mean those linemen the team traded for have been basically back ups their entire careers at the other franchises and I wasn't expecting anything different here.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
It knocks our offensive arsenal of weapons. 20 years and counting
Ehh I mean two Super Bowls in 20 years is pretty good. How many do they have in that time span? Sometimes offensive weapons aren't everything. But the direction the league is headed into they are definitely getting more valuable as the years go on.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We really, as a fanbase, need to stop with the "injuries" crutch. You are aware that other teams suffer injuries as well and while their level of play may diminish they don't crap the bed like we do. Do I expect the 3rd string to play like the 1st string? No. Do I expect them to play beyond a pee wee level? Yes and that isn't the case.

yes every team suffers injuries, yes it shouldnt be a generic excuse but if you look at the finer details it should be obvious why its a legitimate excuse to a certain extent for the ravens: the ravens are leading the league in i/r which is by the by (by definition then the rest of the league is not suffering as many injuries as us) but more importantly look at where those injuries are mostly happening... i.e. the trenches - no team has lost their top 4 guards by the end of week 3 no other team has lost a higher proportion of snaps on the dline - these are hard things to overcome

not only that but where are defence is suffering is on crossing routes and routes over the middle which happen to often be where receivers are operating out of the slot... we have lost our top 3 slot corners... no other team is 3 deep let alone 4 deep at slot corner

to put that into context - we not only lost our starters at guard, we lost both of our backups, in a league with a dearth of oline no team is built 3 deep on the interior
we've lost urban who played the most snaps of any of our dline, we lost brandon williams so far for 2 weeks and it looks like its likely to be 4 or more who is the lifeblood of that dline
we've lost young for the year, we've lost canady for most of the year, and jaylen hill is only just starting to practice again - at this point even with the dline woes the biggest hole on our defence is slot corner

in all these cases i think you are also overstating how bad those 3rd stringers are playing - i know you said you dont expect them to play like 1st stringers but the way you talk about them suggests that you kind of are... hurst has been ok as a 3rd string left guard - he's been passable if not dominant, the problem has been at right guard... what do you expect of an undersized 6th guard (because not only is he 3rd string he's playing with another 3rd stringer) and you know what? the line while bad has not been anywhere near the worst in the league which is admirable given all the horrendous losses they've suffered

on the dline we've allowed some large gains now but most are coming on the edge where we have our young edge linebackers who are losing contain - now that's a problem but i cant fault the front office given that its the area of the defence (outside of the secondary) that they attacked the most in the offseason by adding 2 day 2 picks

and at slot corner webby has been gashed but he's essentially a reserve safety at this point in his career who has been thrust into playing a role he is no longer quick enough for - and while he has been beaten he also has 2 pretty big interceptions for the defence in that role too

despite this narrative you're peddling we have coped with injuries pretty damn well given who we've lost and how many we've lost
we have the most legitimate case in the league for arguing that injuries have killed us

and to your point that other teams dont crap the bed when they have injuries - look at the rest of the league and tell me that there arent some formerly good teams who are absolutely crapping the bed when just 1 or 2 players go down at certain positions...

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I got a notification that Jimmy is good to go after returning to practice today.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
This game represents to me how the rest of the season will go. Without Carr we have a shot at winning and possibly gaining some confidence.

A loss here and I'm afraid we are in for a 5-7 win season.