• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Great interview. Lamar Jackson is just a kid but it seems like he has the right mindset. He loves the grind you can just tell. Im just not sure if hes the type of leader Desaun Watson is. I love this kids talent and demeanor. I really think hes going to surprise people on just how productive he will be

I could care less if he's the type of leader Watson is. As long as he can lead, then it's all good. Everyone has their own style.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i hate watching rudolph because he's got talent and weapons but he's so frustrating to watch at times - his accuracy and ball placement as you say can be troubling and i actively struggle watching some of his film lol - he has a propensity to make some ugly plays which is annoying because he has some potential to develop - id say he's probably the last guy in the draftable qbs who i expect to have a serious chance at being a starting qb - i imagine some coach somewhere is gonna love him and decide he can do wonders and we may see him get taken in the 2nd or maybe even the end of the 1st...
Ya i prefer Kyle Lauletta to him but there is something worth working with in Rudolph

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nobody ever mentions Josh Allen as a smart kid..... welll....
Wonderlic scores for top QBs, per @JohnMiddlekauff:

- Josh Allen: 37
- Josh Rosen: 29
- Sam Darnold: 28
- Baker Mayfield: 25
- Lamar Jackson: 13

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ya i prefer Kyle Lauletta to him but there is something worth working with in Rudolph
I like Lauletta as well. I don't even view him as a developmental QB. No, he's not going to start right away, but he has some potential and wouldn't mind taking a stab at him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Zrebiec: "Eric DeCosta said that he believes there's 8 to 9 QBs in this draft that will start and prove capable of winning games at some point during their rookie contracts. Ravens like this QB class. They'll likely take one at some point."

My guess is that in some order those qbs are:

Allen
Rosen
Darnold
Mayfield
Jackson
Rudolph
White
Falk
(Lauletta)

but im also a big fan of riley ferguson as a high level developmental backup and kurt benkert you could argue is also a potential good qb too

if we could nail ferguson or lauletta in the 5th id be pretty pleased

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I was talking with someone who said the Ravens will take Lauletta in round 3. Is that a reach?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was talking with someone who said the Ravens will take Lauletta in round 3. Is that a reach?

nice avatar lol - id say its a reach based on my grades but it looks like he could go in round 3 - for me he's a mid-late day 3 prospect but there are some scouts who seem to have drawn some comparisons with jimmy g - i dont really see that myself but that seems to be some of the scout narrative

id prefer the ravens pick a different qb round 3 if that's the route they go

I have 1st round grades on:

Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Josh Allen

High day 2 grades on:

Lamar Jackson
Mason Rudolph

Lower/borderline day 2 grades on:

Mike White
Luke Falk

Higher day 3 grades on:

Riley Ferguson

Mid-Lower day 3 grades on:

Kyle Lauletta
Kurt Benkert

so for me lauletta is a quite a big reach in day 2 but I could see a team taking him in day 2 - i personally just hope it isnt the ravens

Simba

Staff Member
I'd guess we'll start to get serious about a QB in the late day 2 - early day 3 range, and I think that leaves Luke Falk, Mike White, Kurt Benkert, Riley Ferguson, and Kyle Lauletta. The first 3 are my favorite options, and Ferguson intrigues me as a developmental guy.

I want to like Lauletta a lot but just can't bring myself to do it. I've always been one that looks for specific things in a QB, and one of those is enough arm strength to pump the ball to the sidelines. I just don't see what he has working at the NFL level. He's a smart player, but it's just a physical limitation that I'm not comfortable with.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd guess we'll start to get serious about a QB in the late day 2 - early day 3 range, and I think that leaves Luke Falk, Mike White, Kurt Benkert, Riley Ferguson, and Kyle Lauletta. The first 3 are my favorite options, and Ferguson intrigues me as a developmental guy.

I want to like Lauletta a lot but just can't bring myself to do it. I've always been one that looks for specific things in a QB, and one of those is enough arm strength to pump the ball to the sidelines. I just don't see what he has working at the NFL level. He's a smart player, but it's just a physical limitation that I'm not comfortable with.

for me the best value qbs out of those is probably mike white or riley ferguson - i think luke falk will go earlier than he should as will lauletta - im not a huge fan of benkert either

for me id be happy if we brought in mike white or ferguson

Simba

Staff Member
for me the best value qbs out of those is probably mike white or riley ferguson - i think luke falk will go earlier than he should as will lauletta - im not a huge fan of benkert either

for me id be happy if we brought in mike white or ferguson

Mike White is definitely my favorite of that 3rd tier (looking at talent, not draft value) after the top 6 guys.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Mike White is definitely my favorite of that 3rd tier (looking at talent, not draft value) after the top 6 guys.
I like Mike White a lot. He has a lot of NFL QB traits that shows he could make it at the next level. I like both him and Lauletta and I’ve seen plenty of film with Lauletta zipping the ball in. Feel his arm is strong enough for the NFL

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Benkert goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. Makes some absolutely spectacular throws.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember comming away fairly imlressed after the first half vs Miami.
Gosh, if you watch that first three-quarters or so and that's all you had to go on, he might go first overall.

I'd say he's becoming a favorite of mine for the Ravens. Outstanding arm....overall very accurate. I mean some of those deep throws are works of art.

Good movement in the pocket. Really did a lot while running for his life and whilst playing with very little talent around him.

He needs to be more aware pre snap at times and as a consequence you will see him eye his target to exclusion and he'll make mistakes. He can clean those things up with a year or so backing up.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta be a smokescreen. We trying to tell teams, if you like the next batch of QBs, makes us an offer.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gosh, if you watch that first three-quarters or so and that's all you had to go on, he might go first overall.

I'd say he's becoming a favorite of mine for the Ravens. Outstanding arm....overall very accurate. I mean some of those deep throws are works of art.

Good movement in the pocket. Really did a lot while running for his life and whilst playing with very little talent around him.

He needs to be more aware pre snap at times and as a consequence you will see him eye his target to exclusion and he'll make mistakes. He can clean those things up with a year or so backing up.
One issue i have with him is that ge gets stuck starring at one side of the feild too often. He doesnt read the entire feild, rather just has routes to one half of the feild and he keeps his eyes to that side