• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Lamar Jacksons scheduled to be a top 30 visit according to Breer

Well Ozzie has said we would be surprised with who we pick if we stay at 16. Also wonder if this is a bluff in order to panic the Bills and Cardinals, where they draft Lamar and another top prospect falls to us.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well Ozzie has said we would be surprised with who we pick if we stay at 16. Also wonder if this is a bluff in order to panic the Bills and Cardinals, where they draft Lamar and another top prospect falls to us.
Cards pick ahead of us in round 1, so there's not much use in bluffing them.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar Jackson comming in for a visit. Its honestly probably to figure out why his wonderlic score was so poor. If you listened to the pre draft presser youd know what im talking about.

I think they may actually have interest in Jackson and it’s not a smokescreen.

Simba

Staff Member
The whole Lamar Jackson visit thing is interesting to me. I want to believe it's a smokescreen, but I think we might seriously be considering taking a QB pretty early. It was reported months ago that the Ravens have been doing a lot of homework on this class. Josh Allen was linked early in the process. La Canfora (I know...) mentioned serious interest in Mason Rudolph.

And in all honesty, it might be the year to pull the trigger early if there's a guy we like. With so many names at the top, you might be getting some better value instead of teams reaching just because they need a guy. I'm not fully sold on this QB class, but I certainly wouldn't blame them if they actually made the move.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
The whole Lamar Jackson visit thing is interesting to me. I want to believe it's a smokescreen, but I think we might seriously be considering taking a QB pretty early. It was reported months ago that the Ravens have been doing a lot of homework on this class. Josh Allen was linked early in the process. La Canfora (I know...) mentioned serious interest in Mason Rudolph.

And in all honesty, it might be the year to pull the trigger early if there's a guy we like. With so many names at the top, you might be getting some better value instead of teams reaching just because they need a guy. I'm not fully sold on this QB class, but I certainly wouldn't blame them if they actually made the move.
Like i said above. I think this visit is to further investigate Jacksons poor wonderlic score. Otherwise i think theyd be bringing all the QBs in for visits

Simba

Staff Member
Like i said above. I think this visit is to further investigate Jacksons poor wonderlic score. Otherwise i think theyd be bringing all the QBs in for visits

I highly doubt they're burning one of their 30 official visits just to check on a wonderlic score. I'm sure that will be part of the discussion, but there is either legitimate interest or they're trying to see his value to test trade waters (a la Paxton Lynch a couple of years back).

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Regardless of La Canfora being the one to say it, I think we might have legit interest in taking Rudolph high but I think we'll have to jump Cardinals if that's the case.

Simba

Staff Member
Regardless of La Canfora being the one to say it, I think we might have legit interest in taking Rudolph high but I think we'll have to jump Cardinals if that's the case.

I'm not as high on him as where he's expected to be picked, but I definitely think he'd be a really good fit here and wouldn't be shocked at all if there is serious interest. Not a super strong arm but does really well standing in the pocket and progressing through his reads. That would definitely fit well here. Outside of the arm, what I like best is that his issues are mostly fixable - working in a pro style offense and improving his mechanics. Good candidate to sit for a year or two and learn before taking over, and I think that's clearly the route this team is planning to take, whether that QB be picked this year or next year.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not as high on him as where he's expected to be picked, but I definitely think he'd be a really good fit here and wouldn't be shocked at all if there is serious interest. Not a super strong arm but does really well standing in the pocket and progressing through his reads. That would definitely fit well here. Outside of the arm, what I like best is that his issues are mostly fixable - working in a pro style offense and improving his mechanics. Good candidate to sit for a year or two and learn before taking over, and I think that's clearly the route this team is planning to take, whether that QB be picked this year or next year.
Another interesting note with the Jackson vusit is that teams have had a hard time scheduling visits with him see8ng that he has no agent. Report is that we might be tge last team hes meeting with before the draft. I think hed be a great fit here too and could light a fire under Flacco who then becomes tradable after this season.

The best thing to note is that the Ravens are making it very difficult for other teams to get a read in what our draft plans are lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
No one seems to think this but I believe Mayfield's the best quarterback in this class. If he was there at 11, I'm running to trade up and get him.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
No one seems to think this but I believe Mayfield's the best quarterback in this class. If he was there at 11, I'm running to trade up and get him.
The reason i have a hard time with Mayfeild is that i have maturity concerns on a 24 year old senior QB when i have none on 21 year old Lamar Jackson. Mayfeild is a great player dont get me wrong but his attitude rubs me the wrong way, plus short stature and average athlete. Hes got moxy i give him that, and he might be the most competitive guy in the class but i dont think he can be considered the top guy when he probably has the most question marks

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rudolph would be far preferable to Jackson.
There's a big part of me that would love us being convicted enough about Rudolph to draft him at sixteen.

Simba

Staff Member
The reason i have a hard time with Mayfeild is that i have maturity concerns on a 24 year old senior QB when i have none on 21 year old Lamar Jackson. Mayfeild is a great player dont get me wrong but his attitude rubs me the wrong way, plus short stature and average athlete. Hes got moxy i give him that, and he might be the most competitive guy in the class but i dont think he can be considered the top guy when he probably has the most question marks

Obviously I can't comment as I haven't been in the rooms, but there have been reports of Jackson struggling in film/board sessions and that's what has always concerned me with him and why I'm not as high on him as most. Like Rudolph, I think most of his weaknesses are correctable, especially in the mechanics. I just don't know if you can give him a complex offense and let him run with it. I like Jackson but there are some serious question marks there when it comes to the mental part of the game.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Rudolph would be far preferable to Jackson.
There's a big part of me that would love us being convicted enough about Rudolph to draft him at sixteen.
I think I wouldn't mind that at all. At least it would be a clear sign that Flacco's days are close to being over.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Obviously I can't comment as I haven't been in the rooms, but there have been reports of Jackson struggling in film/board sessions and that's what has always concerned me with him and why I'm not as high on him as most. Like Rudolph, I think most of his weaknesses are correctable, especially in the mechanics. I just don't know if you can give him a complex offense and let him run with it. I like Jackson but there are some serious question marks there when it comes to the mental part of the game.
His peoduction says otherwise. You dont bring Jackson in to learn your offense, you bring Jackson in and build an offense around him like the Texans did with Watson. Keep it simple