• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
If we can't get one of the top prospects then absolutely, but if one of them is there for us then we have to take it, although I don't think we will, if one of those guys are there I'd expect we trade back which I'd also be happy with. Getting a kings ransom in a trade back is a good way to inject life into the franchise for the future.

But at the same time, we have a lot of good young talent and I'd like to see us get another qb before they start leaving for big pay days
Trade back in this class looks like a bad idea when you have a top10 pick, like in 2016. There's some elite at the top and then a big dropoff and between 15 and 60 the talent will be very close. I'd rather keep my top10 pick and trade back with my second or third pick.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Problem I have with him is he looks like a jerk, but on the field he's a warrior. And I really want to see what it feels like to have one as my team's QB.
I love this guy I think he has what it takes to win and might be the new Russel Wilson. He's incredibly accurate scrambling, and doesn't run unless needed. I Also love Rudolph. Everything about him to me shows success. I actually would prefer Rudolph over Darnold (hate his mechanics, and attitude seems iffy)

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I love this guy I think he has what it takes to win and might be the new Russel Wilson. He's incredibly accurate scrambling, and doesn't run unless needed. I Also love Rudolph. Everything about him to me shows success. I actually would prefer Rudolph over Darnold (hate his mechanics, and attitude seems iffy)
I've yet to catch on the Darnold hype train but his blood temperature is -273°C (sorry I don't work in F)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Trade back in this class looks like a bad idea when you have a top10 pick, like in 2016. There's some elite at the top and then a big dropoff and between 15 and 60 the talent will be very close. I'd rather keep my top10 pick and trade back with my second or third pick.
Easier said than done, but at this point, I’m with you. I’m a big proponent of trading down with a talented class though.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Easier said than done, but at this point, I’m with you. I’m a big proponent of trading down with a talented class though.
Yeah but this class is just not that talented. It's really like in 2016. Did you want to trade back in 2016 and aim for a Shaq Lawson or Laquon Treadwell? Meh.
If we have a top ten pick in this draft, there's going to be a blue chip prospect falling to us, at worst Nelson or Chubb. Either one is a dream come true to me.

Trades on Day 2 happen in a bunch. Hell, the 49ers traded up to get CJ Beatherd, a guy who was viewed as a UDFA by the rest of the world. Team are affraid to pull trades in the first but on Day 2 maneuvering is easy and usually brings value to both parties.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hey, if there's a run on QBs, that just pushes more talent down to us. By all means, I hope so. I don't think we draft a QB with our first pick this year. Not with how flacco's contract is setup. We're stuck til 2020. There's no way we can cut him and not have dead money. Build around him for now, if he's still garbage by 2018, draft one and let him sit for a year.
I want us to do what Jacksonville is doing. A strong defense with a strong running game. Make bortles..uh.. I mean flacco throw as little as possible
Yes Ozzie can't cut till 2020. I consider that sunk costs. Only becauce we can't cut him, doesn't mean we can't draft a 1st rounder. Also there's no reason to keep Mallett. Flacco's done. Not physically but mentally. He has gotten comfortable and he's a dad. As your kids grow up, you tend to question some things in your job. Esp. as an athlete. You're not willing to put in those extra reps etc. Flacco barely talks to his receivers/MM when they're on the sidelines. He just stares either into space or into his surface.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
While I agree, I'm looking at specifics here, it's a bad idea to trade back in the first with second round players in mind, but being able to get one of the top 2nd round rbs with a qb like falk or baker, or somehow managing another 2nd round pick and also getting an Anthony miller or fumagalli, is a very attractive prospect.

Much easier said than done, I know, but I actually feel really good about SOME prosoects in the second this year.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched some mason rudolph film. I like what I see. Great pocket awareness, actual progression (often hitting his 2nd - 3rd read), and accurate. Only thing is his outside throws kind of hangs in the air for awhile, so his arm strength might just be so-so. But if he falls to us in the 2nd, I wouldn't mind using the pick on him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just watched some mason rudolph film. I like what I see. Great pocket awareness, actual progression (often hitting his 2nd - 3rd read), and accurate. Only thing is his outside throws kind of hangs in the air for awhile, so his arm strength might just be so-so. But if he falls to us in the 2nd, I wouldn't mind using the pick on him.
Weird because when I watched him I saw the opposite. Statuesque, low pocket awareness, and locking eyes, and that was across 2 whole games

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
for some reason, ive been trying to talk myself into liking lamar jackson. after years of having a statue in the pocket, the idea of having an incredibly mobile qb is very attractive, however, pocket passing is still how you win in the NFL, i was hoping to see from lamar jackson, a guy with incredible athletic talent and a pretty good arm who could translate his skill set to be a more traditional nfl qb who buys time with his feet to see plays downfield, but all i see with him is basically an explosive route runner taking snaps who can occasionally make some good throws.

i see wrs often reaching back for his throws when crossing, i see him force throws into double and triple coverage, and he obviously is just not comfortable going through reads and letting something play out, he often takes off the second he sees a slight gap in the OL or he rolls out and upfield any time the defense isnt in cover 2. he has no patience, poor decision making, and inconsistent accuracy.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we draft a qb, I’d prefer he can play from the pocket. My first choice would be some familiarity in a pro style system. That being said, I’d like to have an OC that can install spread concepts.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weird because when I watched him I saw the opposite. Statuesque, low pocket awareness, and locking eyes, and that was across 2 whole games

Really? Which games did you watched? I watched the 2 most recent games vs wvu & Texas.
I saw active feet and pocket awareness. Granted, I'm no expert in evaluating QBs. But he passes my eye test. I'll have to watch more games

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Really? Which games did you watched? I watched the 2 most recent games vs wvu & Texas.
I saw active feet and pocket awareness. Granted, I'm no expert in evaluating QBs. But he passes my eye test. I'll have to watch more games
I watched Tulsa and can't remember the other game. He lit up Tulsa but I still saw him staring guys down from start to finish.

After watching again his game vs Baylor his feet are quicker than I remembered, he keeps them chopping in the pocket but there was no pass rush in that game so I couldn't determine pocket awareness, but I saw a whole lot more staring down and I also see him struggle to hit fades, he seems to lead his guy way too close to the sideline, and his hangtime is a little ridiculous on deep passes.

Idk there's plenty to like but I'd like to see him not staring guys down so much and I'd like to see him put better touch on the ball.

TBH I see a LOT of the same things I see from flacco.