• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Penalties and Everything Else

purp

Practice Squad
That's my point lol. I am not really worried about the defense. Those bs calls are the reason they scored more than they should of

Blatant home cooking the whole second half. All the other games ended early, they needed the ratings. Not a macro conspiracy or anything, but it was clear the Eagles couldn't protect Wentz and Philly was allowed to hold for the much of the game. Got even worse when their RT went down.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Remember that roughing the passer call? and the PI? Those were HUGE penalties. Without those? Eagles ain't scoring.
I do remember those calls. The roughing was bad, but the PI call was absolute bullshit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its much easier turning your life around in AB situation than someone coming out of prison lol. Its def much easier staying alive when youre in AB situation also. I get what you mean but the two arent really even close.
I mean... kind of?

Its easier for him because he's got money.

At the same time... if I'm in prison, and i get out, I have an easy choice whether or not I go back in. Its called not committing crimes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean... kind of?

At the same time... if I'm in prison, and i get out, I have an easy choice whether or not I go back in. Its called not committing crimes.
well atleast I know I'm not going to prison, but if I were still a Redskins (WTF) fan, than there is no telling that I could be in danger of killing Dan Snyder.

...... now back to the discussion at hand.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont want to start anything because we've had similar themed discussions before but i just want to make it clear that i vehemently disagree with the sentiment behind this statement
Regardless, the context of this discussion is involved around the idea that not everybody "learns from their mistakes". AB has been making numerous mistakes for years now. Every time he comes out on social media and says he wants to get back in the league and is cleaning his life up, he goes and does something even dumber than the last thing he did, announces his "retirement" for the 5th time (as if its up to him), and just overall appears to be off his meds again.

I don't think people like him should be ostracized from society, but I certainly understand and support why they would be ostracized from the NFL. I think far too often we fans pretend like if these guys can't play football that they're going to end up homeless and unable to fend for themselves in any fashion, and that the NFL is somehow this big bad greedy, evil Corporation who chews up its employees, spits them out, and they all wind up dumpster diving for food. Not exactly how it works...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

what a weird answer... it's happened so often why is it always boykin, is it simply because he's furthest away from Lamar because he always plays on the outside - that seems exceedingly unlikely

and if it really is a hearing problem, then it's not going to be any better when there are actually fans attending in full stadiums...

and if it is boykin really just not hearing the audible then that's really a problem because lamar therefore audibled into a play that made boykin the 1st read in 1v1 coverage to convert a 3rd down in a big spot and he not only did not come up big he literally ran the wrong route

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I mean... kind of?

I know plenty of people who didnt commit a crime and still ended up in prison. You make it sound easy but in reality just as easy as it is to die, its just as easy to end up in jail

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

what a weird answer... it's happened so often why is it always boykin, is it simply because he's furthest away from Lamar because he always plays on the outside - that seems exceedingly unlikely

and if it really is a hearing problem, then it's not going to be any better when there are actually fans attending in full stadiums...

and if it is boykin really just not hearing the audible then that's really a problem because lamar therefore audibled into a play that made boykin the 1st read in 1v1 coverage to convert a 3rd down in a big spot and he not only did not come up big he literally ran the wrong route

sounds more like a listening problem, if you ask me.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

That's a great article. Thanks for posting it.

I like Dobbins a lot and think it was a good pick. But the O-line is struggling and with the middle of it not really established, in retrospect it might have been smarter to go O-line. Yet, that isn't an option now. Comb the FA wire. Don't think there are going to be many takers with COVID, tho. Roman is going to need to be inventive.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's a great article. Thanks for posting it.

I like Dobbins a lot and think it was a good pick. But the O-line is struggling and with the middle of it not really established, in retrospect it might have been smarter to go O-line. Yet, that isn't an option now. Comb the FA wire. Don't think there are going to be many takers with COVID, tho. Roman is going to need to be inventive.

that was one of the few points i didnt agree with - conceptually we dont draft for need, especially in the 2nd round - on their board dobbins was clearly the top player remaining so you have to make that pick regardless of positional need

the assumption also is that we'd allotted that 2nd pick to "fix" our running game but if we hadnt drafted dobbins there's nothing to suggest we would have drafted a guard - the IOL class this year was notably sparse

it also ignores the fact that we held the 60th pick too and could have easily taken damien lewis there if we wanted but we traded out of that pick - and even at pick 71 (where we took madubuike), the only IOL to go between our 2nd and 3rd picks was damien lewis

jonah jackson and every other interior offensive lineman who was available when we selected dobbins other than damien lewis was available still at pick 71

we just didnt like the interior OL options which i completely understand - it was a really weak interior class

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that was one of the few points i didnt agree with - conceptually we dont draft for need, especially in the 2nd round - on their board dobbins was clearly the top player remaining so you have to make that pick regardless of positional need

the assumption also is that we'd allotted that 2nd pick to "fix" our running game but if we hadnt drafted dobbins there's nothing to suggest we would have drafted a guard - the IOL class this year was notably sparse

it also ignores the fact that we held the 60th pick too and could have easily taken damien lewis there if we wanted but we traded out of that pick - and even at pick 71 (where we took madubuike), the only IOL to go between our 2nd and 3rd picks was damien lewis

jonah jackson and every other interior offensive lineman who was available when we selected dobbins other than damien lewis was available still at pick 71

we just didnt like the interior OL options which i completely understand - it was a really weak interior class
What we needed to do was trade up for Nate davis in 2019, instead we got fucking Boykin, snack daddy, Iman Marshall and daylon Mack.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know plenty of people who didnt commit a crime and still ended up in prison. You make it sound easy but in reality just as easy as it is to die, its just as easy to end up in jail
Actually I didn't say that at all. I said REPEAT OFFENDERS who end up in prison.

You don't know many people who have been convicted of crimes multiple times, ended up in prison, and never did anything wrong. Once? Sure.

Again, the context of this discussion was based on the premise that people "learn from the mistakes". My point, very clearly, was that our penal system has a gigantic number of people who are incarcerated because they never learned from their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. mistakes.

I'm well aware that prisons are full of falsely convicted people, just like its full of people who simply made one very big mistake and committed a crime so severe that it warrants removal from society.

The guy who's in prison for being convicted of dealing drugs multiple times... what has he learned? The guy who's in prison for getting 5 DUIs... what has he learned?

Not everybody learns from their mistakes.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Actually I didn't say that at all. I said REPEAT OFFENDERS who end up in prison.

You don't know many people who have been convicted of crimes multiple times, ended up in prison, and never did anything wrong. Once? Sure.

Again, the context of this discussion was based on the premise that people "learn from the mistakes". My point, very clearly, was that our penal system has a gigantic number of people who are incarcerated because they never learned from their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. mistakes.

I'm well aware that prisons are full of falsely convicted people, just like its full of people who simply made one very big mistake and committed a crime so severe that it warrants removal from society.

The guy who's in prison for being convicted of dealing drugs multiple times... what has he learned? The guy who's in prison for getting 5 DUIs... what has he learned?

Not everybody learns from their mistakes.
We aren’t talking about regular people, we’re talking about a guy who is costing himself millions, fame and endearment, and a HOF career. Recidivism is an entirely different world than what we’re discussing here lol. Career drug dealers literally don’t give a shit about prison, they know it’s all part of the life they chose, and for those types they don’t know any other life, people with multiple DUIs don’t end up in prison because they have a problem drinking and driving, it’s because they are alcoholics and have a problem with substance abuse in general and that probably stems from unchecked poor mental health as is the case 99% of the time, Antonio brown has the resources and the motives to get his shit together for a 4 month stretch, the people you’re speaking about have none of that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We aren’t talking about regular people, we’re talking about a guy who is costing himself millions, fame and endearment, and a HOF career. Recidivism is an entirely different world than what we’re discussing here lol. Career drug dealers literally don’t give a shit about prison, they know it’s all part of the life they chose, and for those types they don’t know any other life, people with multiple DUIs don’t end up in prison because they have a problem drinking and driving, it’s because they are alcoholics and have a problem with substance abuse in general and that probably stems from unchecked poor mental health as is the case 99% of the time, Antonio brown has the resources and the motives to get his shit together for a 4 month stretch, the people you’re speaking about have none of that.
AB probably has CTE

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I don't think he has the motives. I don't think he cares even one ounce about a HOF nod, nor does the idea of costing him millions (which he wouldn't even get millions to play for 4 months), because he's already made tens of millions. Money is a pretty strong motivator, but that motivator tends to be stronger for those that don't have any money. He does.

Keep in mind that he voluntarily forfeited money from both the Raiders and Patriots in order to be a douche like he was. If he literally didn't know that his actions would cost him that money, then he's also probably just as stupid not to realize its costing him money now, which means he doesn't care.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
AB probably has CTE
I thought this was basically widely known at this point.

Like I have about as much confidence in him getting his shit together and becoming a relevant, quality NFL player again as I do him going on some sort of like profanity-laced, physical assault filled tirade that results in him either dying or killing himself.

There is no question in my mind he has some serious mental health problems, and CTE would, at a minimum, help explain some of that.