• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

MLB Post Season 2017

Pats

Veteran
Dodgers said Yu might come back.. After tonight no thank you. The fans would not be happy.

Feel bad for Kershaw. He played bad game five, but played very well game 7 and game 1. Can't get too mad at him. Once again. Bad Roberts management.

Get him the fuck out of town. You have no free agents of note other than Darvish. Go get Arietta. Then go win that WS for Kershaw.

I have the Dodgers winning in 2018. This team is too damn talented not to win a ring at some point and the NL is utterly pathetic and nobody in the conference can compete with the sheer money the Dodgers have + their young talent.
Im hoping the brewers have a good offseason and compete well next year but I doubt it, the NL is just trash.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Im hoping the brewers have a good offseason and compete well next year but I doubt it, the NL is just trash.
I wouldn’t bet on them competeing with the hilariously high payroll of the dodgers. Even though Kershaw is likely to opt out of that contract or is, they’re probably going to pay him $40 million a season and then still go on a big free agent spree. People make fun of them for how much money old management threw at everything.. rightfully so. But new management has focused more on retaining their players and using analytics and developing prospects. In fact they’ve been criticized for being too passive. Ton of the players who are on the payroll right now play for other teams. And the Dodgers swallowed their contracts to tell them to fuck off.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
At least post right, @OriolesMagicPlease .

I'm just waiting for Freidman to go super sayan during free agency in a fit of rage and make players pull a Kevin Durant to ruin the parity of the MLB even further. Given the Dodgers payroll they can offer max contracts to like 4 people and still afford to resign Kershaw next offseason and then sign Bryce Harper after that.

Now, Freidman won't go too crazy this offseason. I think that the moment he realizes that the Nationals cannot afford Bryce Harper (sorry @RavensMania) that he resigns Kershaw next offseason and then makes a push for either Harper or Manny Machado(which would make me mad since the O's are my AL team.. But hey. Better than the Yankees).

How I'd predict this offseason going for the Dodgers is.
-Resign Tony Watson
-Resign Brandon Morrow
-Sign Alex Cobb(I said Arietta earlier.. But Cobb has familiarity with Freidman. Won't be nearly as expensive as Arietta. But would be good acquisition and is a good #2 pitcher on any team)
-Sign Addison Reed(I mean.. It's not the Freidman's fault that Roberts can't manage a bullpen, but the Dodgers could use a partnet to Tony Watson as the setup guy. Reed would be a right handed setup man and Watson would be a lefty. Would not nearly be as expensive as Wade Davis.. Who the Dodgers could easily afford to have him and Jansen alternate as closer/setup man.. Now that would be something)

Only big move I could really see the Dodgers making is Giancarlo Stanton... Now I don't want this to happen even though I'm a Dodgers fan. That said, given the depth inside the Dodgers farm system. This is a distinct possibility. They could probably pull this off while retain a few of their top tier prospects. That would basically turn the Dodgers into the Golden State Warriors of the MLB and allow them to put a stranglehold on just about anyone who go in their way. A hitting core of Turner, Stanton, Bellinger, Seager, Pederson, Taylor, and Grandal(I'm assuming Puig would be part of the deal).. Yikes. That's two guys who are legit threats to get 30+ homers a season in Bellinger and Stanton, along with a bunch of other dudes who are good pure hitters and can go over 20 easy. Not fair.. Not fair at all.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
At least post right, @OriolesMagicPlease .

I'm just waiting for Freidman to go super sayan during free agency in a fit of rage and make players pull a Kevin Durant to ruin the parity of the MLB even further. Given the Dodgers payroll they can offer max contracts to like 4 people and still afford to resign Kershaw next offseason and then sign Bryce Harper after that.

Now, Freidman won't go too crazy this offseason. I think that the moment he realizes that the Nationals cannot afford Bryce Harper (sorry @RavensMania) that he resigns Kershaw next offseason and then makes a push for either Harper or Manny Machado(which would make me mad since the O's are my AL team.. But hey. Better than the Yankees).

How I'd predict this offseason going for the Dodgers is.
-Resign Tony Watson
-Resign Brandon Morrow
-Sign Alex Cobb(I said Arietta earlier.. But Cobb has familiarity with Freidman. Won't be nearly as expensive as Arietta. But would be good acquisition and is a good #2 pitcher on any team)
-Sign Addison Reed(I mean.. It's not the Freidman's fault that Roberts can't manage a bullpen, but the Dodgers could use a partnet to Tony Watson as the setup guy. Reed would be a right handed setup man and Watson would be a lefty. Would not nearly be as expensive as Wade Davis.. Who the Dodgers could easily afford to have him and Jansen alternate as closer/setup man.. Now that would be something)

Only big move I could really see the Dodgers making is Giancarlo Stanton... Now I don't want this to happen even though I'm a Dodgers fan. That said, given the depth inside the Dodgers farm system. This is a distinct possibility. They could probably pull this off while retain a few of their top tier prospects. That would basically turn the Dodgers into the Golden State Warriors of the MLB and allow them to put a stranglehold on just about anyone who go in their way. A hitting core of Turner, Stanton, Bellinger, Seager, Pederson, Taylor, and Grandal(I'm assuming Puig would be part of the deal).. Yikes. That's two guys who are legit threats to get 30+ homers a season in Bellinger and Stanton, along with a bunch of other dudes who are good pure hitters and can go over 20 easy. Not fair.. Not fair at all.
Actually Ted Lerner is one of the wealthiest owners in baseball. He absolutely could afford to pay Harper. Now is going to, we shall see, but he absolutely could afford to pay Harper his 400 to 450m contract. No question

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Actually Ted Lerner is one of the wealthiest owners in baseball. He absolutely could afford to pay Harper. Now is going to, we shall see, but he absolutely could afford to pay Harper his 400 to 450m contract. No question
Problem with that is that the Dodgers and Yankees could both pay him basically whatever he wants as well. Even with the Dodgers having to pay a few of their stars.

If I was the Dodgers I'd pick to not go after either tbh. Let the farm continue to develop. So far Bellinger, Seager, and Pederson have all had some success at the pro level. Those three will only get better with age.

Just have to hope one of Walker Buhler, Julio Urias, or someone else develops into an all star starter.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Well, the Dodgers don't look like they're going to fire Dave Roberts... Well fuck you Friedman. Do you really not see that Roberts cost you the series with his shitty management?

Also.. Now that I think about it.. Don't you fucking dare trade for Stanton. You can afford him and he's a great player, but you actually became a juggernaut when you started relying on your farm. Bellinger, Pederson, and Seager have all been massive contributors at some point and they are for your farm system. I mean... You got Darvish, who despite shitting the bed in the WS is still a #1 pitcher for your 10th ranked guy. That's how deep your damn system is, and it would take a considerable amount of capital besides money to go get Stanton. Offense isn't what you really need. The Bats didn't show up in game 7 but overall they were not the problem for the series. The problems? Dave Roberts doesn't know how to use a pen. And if that's the case.. Then you should go get some more arms for it. Make it so deep that it can't fail. You have the highest payroll in baseball: make it work.

And get Darvish's replacement. Most of the reason why you have the highest payroll in baseball(shitty contracts from old management) will be off the books next season. Meaning the Dodgers are going to have more money to play with than normal(a terrifying thought).. Bryce Harper and Manny Machado(as much as I don't want him to leave the O's.. Let's be real. They won't change and get good pitching. Let him go to a good team and win a ring damnit) will be FA's in 2018. As will Josh Donaldson and Andrew Miller. Sure, Kershaw will be a FA too, but you can afford to go get two of those names.

Simple Dodgers. You have one objective this offseason: don't panic and overspend.

So the moves I'd make(I'll do something similar for the O's too seeing as they're my NL team).

1. Make a run for Shohei Otani(if he becomes avaliable. There's currently trouble with the posting system). "Japan's Babe Ruth". Let's be real, like usual with big names from Asia it will come down to the Yankees and the Dodgers. Which team will throw the most money? Yankees have more.. But he has the potential to literally fufil the missing piece the Dodgers need. And he'd fit like a glove in the NL. Well above average hitter for a pitching with a big arm and good command. Overall, this is the first move I'd make if he can be posted. Adding a very young arm like his to the rotation would potentially give them Kershaw's eventual successor as the #1 guy, and would do wonders for the interional game as well. But this move isn't entirely certain given the problems.

2. Resign Brandon Morrow-Good news is he wants to come back. His great season came out of left field and the Dodgers bullpen benefitted greatly. Keep him around as the right handed setup man.

3. Resign Tony Watson- Left handed setup man who looked very good with the Dodgers and could fill in as a closer if necessary.

4. Trade Yasamini Grandal- Even though he's the superior catcher to Barnes defensively(albeit not by much at all. Barnes has proven to be very good there and is a better pure hitter) and is a bigger home run threat, Grandal was benched in favor of Barnes. The dodgers are 3 deep at catcher, with Farmer being a good backup option. They also have a few good catching prospects in their farm system. Grandal at this point is just a luxury. Grandal is an all star player, and is likely to command a ton of trade value. The question is, do you bolster your farm system, or do you use him to acquire another solid piece? No matter. He's got another year left on his deal and it'd be best to squeeze out some value.

5. Sign Addison Reed. Bolster the pen. Sure, by the looks of it Maeda(who I think stays as a potential long reliever who starts the occasional game to preserve Kershaw), Watson, Cirigani, Jansen, Morrow, is a nice stable of arms.

6. Sign Alex Cobb- Yup. I'd sign Alex Cobb over Arietta. A nice #2 option and a much needed right hander. Dodgers have Maeda but I think he'd be better off in the pen. Even if you can get Otani, Cobb is a must. Kershaw and Wood are both #1 pitchers when fully healthy, but are both leftys. Take the right handed dude.

7, Find another right handed bat. Outside of Turner and Taylor(who won't be this consistent for long) you don't have a consistent one. The best solution is probably to sign Lorenzo Cain. You can afford him and he's fairly consistent. Move Chris Taylor to second base, his original position, and then Cain to CF.

8. Resign Forsythe- Useful utility player who can play everywhere? Yes please.

9. See what you have. Dodgers have 3 elite pitching prospects. Buehler looks like he's gonna be a nice arm either in the pen or towards the top of the rotation. Alvarez is gonna be stud reliever at worst, and Urias is another guy who could be a top of the line rotation guy who has the biggest ceiling between all three if he recovers from his surgery well. Don’t move any of these three. come 2019 your rotation could be even better you won’t even need to pick up another pitcher.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure which thread this should go in, but rest in peace, Roy Halladay. I never saw him pitch, but it sounds like he was a great pitcher.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure which thread this should go in, but rest in peace, Roy Halladay. I never saw him pitch, but it sounds like he was a great pitcher.
Halliday was a great pitcher.

No I don’t think Roberts should be fired. He deserves some credit for getting the dodgers to their first World Series in well a shit load of years. Not saying he didn’t make some mistakes, though.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Halliday was a great pitcher.

No I don’t think Roberts should be fired. He deserves some credit for getting the dodgers to their first World Series in well a shit load of years. Not saying he didn’t make some mistakes, though.
Only thing he should get any credit for is actually not fucking Kershaw's arm before the postseason. Literally the only thing he's good for. Otherwise, management deserves the entirity credit. They weren't spending nearly as much money as the old management(a lot of their payroll comes from shitty contracts from old management) unless they were retaining their own players, and they still managed to build a far more talented squad than Kershaw has ever had before, and that was with Grenkie on the roster as well. New management wasn't stupid like old management and actually decided to keep their young players, and 2 of them have paid massive dividends(Seager and Bellinger are two of the best young players in baseball and bearing injury are going to only get better and Pederson has all star potential as well).

Granted, the Dodgers are my pick to win it all in 2018. The youth will only get better, and if they find another solid right handed bat their offense will be as good as anyone's, and another right handed starting pitcher would be good as well.

2018 is the big prize though. Those old shit contracts suddenly come off the books and the greatest FA class in recent MLB happens and the Dodgers with their unlimited supply of money go drop a dumptruck of money on Bryce Harper or Manny Machado's lawn and laugh their way to the bank.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Only thing he should get any credit for is actually not fucking Kershaw's arm before the postseason. Literally the only thing he's good for. Otherwise, management deserves the entirity credit. They weren't spending nearly as much money as the old management(a lot of their payroll comes from shitty contracts from old management) unless they were retaining their own players, and they still managed to build a far more talented squad than Kershaw has ever had before, and that was with Grenkie on the roster as well. New management wasn't stupid like old management and actually decided to keep their young players, and 2 of them have paid massive dividends(Seager and Bellinger are two of the best young players in baseball and bearing injury are going to only get better and Pederson has all star potential as well).

Granted, the Dodgers are my pick to win it all in 2018. The youth will only get better, and if they find another solid right handed bat their offense will be as good as anyone's, and another right handed starting pitcher would be good as well.

2018 is the big prize though. Those old shit contracts suddenly come off the books and the greatest FA class in recent MLB happens and the Dodgers with their unlimited supply of money go drop a dumptruck of money on Bryce Harper or Manny Machado's lawn and laugh their way to the bank.

I don’t think so

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I don’t think so
Harper isn’t staying with the Nats. They can afford him sure but the Yankees and dodgers can simply pay more.

So he will be a Yankee. He grew up a Yankees fan after all. He will get a ring either one he goes to. Both teams have never ending pockets of money and elite farm systems

O

OriolesMagicPlease

Harper isn’t staying with the Nats. They can afford him sure but the Yankees and dodgers can simply pay more.

So he will be a Yankee. He grew up a Yankees fan after all. He will get a ring either one he goes to. Both teams have never ending pockets of money and elite farm systems

Yankees will probably end up with Machado too. Show me the money!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

We certainly will see soon enough. The Yankees are a better chance than the dodgers, but I still believe the Nats pay 400 to 450m for him