• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 5 Edition

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I haven't had a chance to listen to him. Was this his first game or has he already done a couple games this year. I know he was scheduled to announce four games this year.
I believe it was his first. Was a bit surprised because of how soft spoken he is in typical.

Very relaxed in delivery but strong tone and really just a joy to hear. Can't say enough good things as it sounded a very natural thing for him and he provided rare insight,truly.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Lol Ej Manuel played fairly well last week?

The week 4 "Bridgestone play of the game" was The Broncos interception of Ej Manuel sealing the game for the Broncos.

He might not be god awful but whatever is close to God awful- that's his place to operate. He clearly can't win games as a starter or a backup even with weapons around him in Oakland, so yea he sucks.
Oh noes. An elite secondary picked off a backup QB(who otherwise was actually solid given that he was playing an elite defense)?? FIRE EVERYONE. I guess that Tom Brady guy is a fucking scrub for the INTs he's thrown in super bowls. He's clearly not a hall of fame talent.

The Raiders are by no means predicated on the run, Derek Carr could have easily threw on us even if we were healthy firing on all cylinders on D. Go back and watch how bad Crabtree made Humphrey look, go back and watch Jaguars and Steelers tape of our dbs missing tackles and blowing coverage.

Our defense is solid, undoubtedly better with Brandon Williams shutting down the run and boosting pass rush by taking on double teams. But people act like we don't have a handful of other pro bowl caliber players on defense. I'm not going to make an excuse for 1 Player no matter how good they are .

The Texans were the #1 defense in the NFL last year MINUS. JJ. WATT.

Oh boy... Nah I kid. This is gonna be fun for me.

Okay. First off. Common fact in the NFL: If you can't run the ball effectively in some capacity, you're gonna fall flat on your face. The Raiders may not be a run first team, but ever since they've turned their franchise around they've boasted consistent and solid rushing attacks. Partially due to the fact that their offensive line the past few years has been an above average to an elite unit. And even without Gabe Jackson yesterday, they still have Kelichi Osemele and Rodney Hudson on the interior who are top players at their positions. They are going to have some varying degree of success against most teams in the running game for that reason alone.

Secondly, if you really look at the YPC, it wasn't that bad. Sure, the Raiders had to pass as the game went on which does help it, but it's not like we're the New York Giants. Our run defense hasn't been as abysmal as several people suggest, it just hasn't been as good as we are used to. Again, that changes once Brandon Williams returns. The fact that we have a guy who commands double teams on every running play is a massive asset to any defense.

Thirdly, it's a different ball game with Brandon Williams in there. He forces a significant amount of third and longs because of his ability to collapse a pocket, and the fact that he commands a double team on most run snaps allows for CJ Mosley to roam free and knock people on their ass. If Carr was playing, and so was Brandon Williams, Carr would have been forced to beat the team single handedly with his arm. Which would have been obscenely difficult. Our ability to get pressure on the quarterback with Williams is impressive, and if you add Williams' ability to push the pocket on passing downs(yes, he's done that when healthy this year), it would have been harder.

Fourthly, as for your JJ Watt claim, we don't have the luxury of having two other elite nose tackle types like the Texans have two other elite pass rushers(Clowney and Merculis, both fellow all pros btw) and an overall impressive secondary and linebacking corps. The Texans defense is loaded with more talent than ours is(when healthy) and when all three of those boys are healthy they have arguable the best pass rush in all of football. They can afford to lose one of them(even their best one) and will still have boys who can get to the QB. So this claim is utterly baseless. You have seen how differently the Bengals have played with Vontaze Burfict back, or the Browns with Myles Garrett back. Hell, look at us when Jimmy Smith leaves the ball game. Look at our defense in 2012 when Suggs got hurt. Look at the Panthers last year when Kechuley went down. Take Mack away from the Raiders, I guarantee you the defense wouldn't play as well. One can, if he's that good at a particular facet, can make a massive difference.

Fifthly, watch the game again. Humphrey had his share of good plays on Crabtree, and some of Crabtree's good plays against Humphrey were "veteran" pushoffs that weren't called. Wouldn't have mattered anyway because if Carr and Williams were both healthy, we would have been able to make their offense more one dimensional, which plays into our favor. The secondary as a whole has been a massive strength for the team thus far, and our pass rush is far improved from last year. Carr would have eventually won, but it wouldn't have been easy. Humphrey isn't the weak link in the secondary, Brandon Carr is. That long TD wasn't on anybody but Brandon Carr(and partially Za'Darius Smith for missing the sack) and we all know it. The Steelers passing game wasn't really the reason they had massive success against us. We went against an elite offensive line with one of the best running backs in all of football behind us and they wore us down. Jacksonville is an utter clusterfuck and was an anomaly. Oh and by the way, both Jimmy Smith and Humphrey played very well during that game. So your claim is once again, baseless.

The Raven

Veteran
One sobering note from the game: the Raiders were missing two of their top three corners, one of their starting DL, and Derek Carr. I know we had our injuries too but this certainly tempers my expectations going forward.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
One sobering note from the game: the Raiders were missing two of their top three corners, one of their starting DL, and Derek Carr. I know we had our injuries too but this certainly tempers my expectations going forward.

how many in our o-line and d-line are we missing?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
so rapsheet reporting that terrance west is expected to miss some time but good news on the MRIs so not an extended absence...

that's some decent news even if his role was reduced anyway
His role may be reduced, but my guess is we would have scored another touchdown with him in the lineup. Allen is just not an inside runner.

The Raven

Veteran
how many in our o-line and d-line are we missing?
I don't disagree with that perspective, but it's not relevant to the course of our season.

Yes, we're missing guys. We beat a team that was missing guys. Are we positioned to beat teams that aren't missing guys?

That's my point.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't disagree with that perspective, but it's not relevant to the course of our season.

Yes, we're missing guys. We beat a team that was missing guys. Are we positioned to beat teams that aren't missing guys?

That's my point.
I think so and here is why I think we can beat a healthy team.

My take is Flacco is just getting healthy and starting to build some chemistry with his wide receivers. The oline had a good game and maybe they can begin to build some chemistry. I believe our best games are ahead of us.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Take that into account and the fact they still aren't that good with them defensively and that's why I'm not too excited.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
love em or hate em the PFF Top 5 Ravens grades were as follows

Ravens’ Top-Five Graders From PFF

Based on the way the offense played, it’s not surprising to see four of the top five grades from PFF go to that side of the ball.

T Ronnie Stanley: 83.8 overall grade
C Ryan Jensen : 82.8
WR Mike Wallace: 82.0
QB Joe Flacco: 81.6
OLB Matthew Judon : 81.2

Willie Henry was just outside the top 5 with an 80.3 grade and three of the four OL had pass blocking grades over 80. Austin Howard had an 80.8

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-30-oakland-raiders-17/

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

That's my point.

Every single team is going to be missing some guys. If any of the potential playoff teams manage to not be missing guys come playoff time, that team is winning the Super Bowl. Right now one just has to hope that the worst of the Ravens injuries are behind them and that it can begin going upwards from here. Yes the Ravens have a ton of players on IR but BWill is not one of them, MWill isnt either, and Canady/Hill will be taking the slot corner spot from Webb soon (please as soon as possible would be nice).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Every single team is going to be missing some guys. If any of the potential playoff teams manage to not be missing guys come playoff time, that team is winning the Super Bowl. Right now one just has to hope that the worst of the Ravens injuries are behind them and that it can begin going upwards from here. Yes the Ravens have a ton of players on IR but BWill is not one of them, MWill isnt either, and Canady/Hill will be taking the slot corner spot from Webb soon (please as soon as possible would be nice).
Agree, no one is healthy at this point and if you really want to talk about healthy, I believe the announcers said the Steelers had all the starters back. Well look what happened to them. Any team that is healthy has a huge advantage.

Hill should be back soon as he practiced last week. Love Webb, but at this point he's only a backup safety. He doesn't have the speed to play slot corner anymore. He's been exposed way to much this season.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m excited for Hill to come back but I think we need to keep our expectations low. He’s a rookie coming off an injury and he hasn’t played in weeks, I’m not so sure that he’s just going to come in and immediately take Webb’s snaps. I hope he does. And I think he will eventually, but I’d give him a few weeks to get acclimated