• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 5 Edition

Tru11

Practice Squad
Lol Ej Manuel played fairly well last week?

The week 4 "Bridgestone play of the game" was The Broncos interception of Ej Manuel sealing the game for the Broncos.

He might not be god awful but whatever is close to God awful- that's his place to operate. He clearly can't win games as a starter or a backup even with weapons around him in Oakland, so yea he sucks.

Before the int he threw a beautiful spot on TD that cook plain and simple dropped.
Had he caught it the raiders would have won and no INT.

he actually played pretty good last week given the circumstances.

a lot better then flacco did that is for sure....

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The Raiders are by no means predicated on the run, Derek Carr could have easily threw on us even if we were healthy firing on all cylinders on D. Go back and watch how bad Crabtree made Humphrey look, go back and watch Jaguars and Steelers tape of our dbs missing tackles and blowing coverage.

Our defense is solid, undoubtedly better with Brandon Williams shutting down the run and boosting pass rush by taking on double teams. But people act like we don't have a handful of other pro bowl caliber players on defense. I'm not going to make an excuse for 1 Player no matter how good they are .

The Texans were the #1 defense in the NFL last year MINUS. JJ. WATT.
1. Crabtree blatantly pushed off over and over. It was total bullshit.
2. The raiders have been a solid running team since their emergence, they were 6th in rushing last year and this year they haven't been the same team in general but they try to feed lynch
3. The whole first half their offensive movement came from the run game, Manuel couldn't do shit until crab started pushing off which didn't start til later. Lynch stole our fucking lunch money and gained yards as he pleased

Wonder why Derek Carr has been struggling this year compared to last year? Maybe it's because he's not working with the 6th rushing attack? A qbs best friend is a great run game, it's not some old wives tale, it's the truth and always will be.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
The biggest positive is how the OL was able to dominate the Raiders defensive front- which isn't as bad as people seem to think. The Raiders were definitely hurt by their injuries, but Im not sure that excuse means much against the Ravens.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No, but to say or imply that our poor defense gets to be excused because of the of Brandon Williams being injured...vs the Raiders getting excused for the loss of Derek Carr is irrelevant given that we still have playmakers on D and they have Ej Manuel
Actually I wasn’t saying that just pertaining to the Raiders and I agree with you. Our entire defense over the course of the three games we have missed BWill has dropped off compared to previous weeks. This week wasn’t that bad overall, but we were aided with the loss of Carr. No guarantee Carr beats us either.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No, but to say or imply that our poor defense gets to be excused because of the of Brandon Williams being injured...vs the Raiders getting excused for the loss of Derek Carr is irrelevant given that we still have playmakers on D and they have Ej Manuel

well tbh - our defence played well when brandon williams was on the field the first 2 games
the raiders offence has not played well even with derek carr so while im not saying that losing carr isnt more important and impactful than losing b will i think if you look at how good our pass defence is that if the two were both on the field the outcome of this game doesnt change much - they likely get that touchdown on the blown coverage where crabtree was wide open in the endzone - but they also probably dont get 1 or 2 of those first half drives where they ran it down our throats

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The good: Beginning the day watching the Steelers not only lose, but get booed off the field at Home.
The even better: The offense deciding to join us this season..
The best: Pitt holds the tie breaker over us but, we've drawn even again.
The ugliest: Marty's play calling.
Marty’s play calling through most of the day was on point. Was it perfect, no. Was it off in the third qtr, absolutely, but many plays were well designed.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Marty’s play calling through most of the day was on point. Was it perfect, know. Was it off in the third qtr, absolutely, but many plays were well designed.

yeah there were a lot of nice play designs both by marty and dean pees - now we've just got to work on marty's play calling - ive never had a problem with his designs per se but his in game usage of playcalling has left a lot to be desired even yesterday at times

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Still want to see Collins get more carries and for the love of God throw Breshad the ball. He was open numerous times today.
Absolutely would love to see him get more carries, especially inside the 10 yard line, but I also understand why they didn’t give it to him. That message should be loud and clear to him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Absolutely would love to see him get more carries, especially inside the 10 yard line, but I also understand why they didn’t give it to him. That message should be loud and clear to him.

to be fair the worst place to give up the ball is in either redzone - as long as we ride him between the 20s im fine with pulling him out of the lineup as we get closer if it means not giving up the ball but still keeping him involved

would like to see him get a bigger workload in general though

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
to be fair the worst place to give up the ball is in either redzone - as long as we ride him between the 20s im fine with pulling him out of the lineup as we get closer if it means not giving up the ball but still keeping him involved

would like to see him get a bigger workload in general though
There is no question that fumbling inside either 20 is awful and I completely understand, he just needs to learn to hold the ball with two hands running inside the 20s and hold it high against his body and that should reduce his fumbles. Just like tiki barber.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There is no question that fumbling inside either 20 is awful and I completely understand, he just needs to learn to hold the ball with two hands running inside the 20s and hold it high against his body and that should reduce his fumbles. Just like tiki barber.

he already seemed like he was more conscious of it when he broke one out earlier in the game yesterday

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was unable to watch the game but Did listen to radio broadcast through quarter one and a little into the second.

Todd Heap was tremendous. Very much a natural with great observations and insight.

Seemed as if he'd been doing it forever. Nothing seemed forced as if he were trying too hard to fit in. The other broadcasters began to defer to him as his analysis (often in advance) was so clever and dead on.

A joy to listen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I was unable to watch the game but Did listen to radio broadcast through quarter one and a little into the second.

Todd Heap was tremendous. Very much a natural with great observations and insight.

Seemed as if he'd been doing it forever. Nothing seemed forced as if he were trying too hard to fit in. The other broadcasters began to defer to him as his analysis (often in advance) was so clever and dead on.

A joy to listen.
I haven't had a chance to listen to him. Was this his first game or has he already done a couple games this year. I know he was scheduled to announce four games this year.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Run D needs milk and Humphrey had his welcome moment because Crabtree was schooling him. Still would like a more consistent pass rush and Za'Darius is what he is at this point. Wish we could flip the location of Bears and Vikings game because the Vikings game might get ugly. Would like to see Collins get more touches, but Buck is earning his reps.

Just say a comment and remembered... Get Perriman involved. It seems the tougher the catch, the less time he has to think and just acts. I know how it's looked early, but he has playmaker ability. He's the guy we have to trust with 50-50 balls.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Run D needs milk and Humphrey had his welcome moment because Crabtree was schooling him. Still would like a more consistent pass rush and Za'Darius is what he is at this point. Wish we could flip the location of Bears and Vikings game because the Vikings game might get ugly. Would like to see Collins get more touches, but Buck is earning his reps.
Glad to see Buck earning his touches, but I agree, Collins needs the ball more.