• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Saw that the ravens are considering making an offer for Meredith. Maybe this is a silly concept, but does anyone think Perriman could be better if he played out of the slot instead of on the outside?

the only benefit i could see to having perriman play more slot is that it'll help him avoid being jammed at the line which should help him get into his routes quicker but it also would have him running a very different route tree to what he already knows - but i also dont see him understanding the subtleties of changing pace and having short-area burst to really take advantage of those typical slot routes... it might be a nice gimmick if he makes the 53 and earns a role on offence but i dont foresee it making a huge impact - his problem has always been catching the ball and in the slot he's likely to find himself in some traffic making some of those catches which im not sure will help - he's often found himself open when playing outside and still either not been thrown the ball or dropped the ball

maybe he gets a shot in training camp at the slot but i dont really see it improving him (id love to be proven wrong)

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I seriously doubt Perriman becomes a legit starting WR stranger things have happened. Eagles' fans were saying the same about Agholor until this past season. There's still that small chance he turns it around.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I seriously doubt Perriman becomes a legit starting WR stranger things have happened. Eagles' fans were saying the same about Agholor until this past season. There's still that small chance he turns it around.
I think he has a solid chance to be a decent WR 3 or 4.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let him focus on getting deep, screens against off coverage, slants and gradually work other routes in. Don't give him too much to think about and if he can gain confidence he might be an effective three.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Perriman can consistently do what he did in his second season then he'll be worth keeping. And s good wr3.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let him focus on getting deep, screens against off coverage, slants and gradually work other routes in. Don't give him too much to think about and if he can gain confidence he might be an effective three.
His routes aren't even that bad though honestly. They are raw but he's able to use his quickness to get separation. Getting open really isn't Perriman's problem. Which is why I think he can turn it around.

Really I think its all a matter of his confidence level.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
His routes aren't even that bad though honestly. They are raw but he's able to use his quickness to get separation. Getting open really isn't Perriman's problem. Which is why I think he can turn it around.

Really I think its all a matter of his confidence level.
perrriman looks stiff as hell to me for some reason lol. I think we should give him some jump ball opportunties. He seems to do pretty good with those

Simba

Staff Member
perrriman looks stiff as hell to me for some reason lol. I think we should give him some jump ball opportunties. He seems to do pretty good with those

That’s literally probably his weakest trait outside of his hands. The guy has no desire to fight for the ball. He consistently tries to let it come into his body.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh I’m not saying he’s a good route runner.

It’s just that a lack of separation isn’t why he’s struggling.

He’s struggling because he doesn’t have great hands. He drops a few and his confidence plummets. If he didn’t drop passes like he does then he’d be fine.

But what confuses me is 2 seasons ago he flashed quite frequently. How is it that he took such a step back in one year? We don’t really have an explanation.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Oh I’m not saying he’s a good route runner.

It’s just that a lack of separation isn’t why he’s struggling.

He’s struggling because he doesn’t have great hands. He drops a few and his confidence plummets. If he didn’t drop passes like he does then he’d be fine.

But what confuses me is 2 seasons ago he flashed quite frequently. How is it that he took such a step back in one year? We don’t really have an explanation.

The hamstring injury was the common explaination I've seen.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So, what's with Cameron Meredith? There are some reports Ravens plan to sign him on the offer sheet but he's visiting the Saints after meeting with the Ravens?

How does that stuff work with restricted agents? Multiple teams can sign them on offers?

Simba

Staff Member
So, what's with Cameron Meredith? There are some reports Ravens plan to sign him on the offer sheet but he's visiting the Saints after meeting with the Ravens?

How does that stuff work with restricted agents? Multiple teams can sign them on offers?

Kind of, yes. Both the Ravens and Saints could make an offer but Meredith and his camp have to agree to terms and sign it. Pretty much regular FA except a team has a chance to match it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Kind of, yes. Both the Ravens and Saints could make an offer but Meredith and his camp have to agree to terms and sign it. Pretty much regular FA except a team has a chance to match it.
Ah, OK - so "look, saints - ravens offered me $4 per, i'm yours for $5 and you check with Bears"

RayRayRaven

Veteran
You legit cant argue that Flacco didn't play pretty well during the back stretch of the season considering the talent he had around him. Like there is no valid argument. He played well when he was healthy. Accept it.

The "Eye Test" can be influenced by the level of competition and we got a lot of teams down on their luck. Houston, Green Bay, even Tennessee, (and they beat us). We beat Cleveland twice again, but that's not gonna hold into the future, you can take that to the bank. I just can't cotton a notion that Flacco played well. Just didn't perceive that in the least.

His year ypa was 5.7, second have of the season it was 5.9.
Biggest game of the season was Cincy at HOME to make the playoffs and he was 4.3 per attempt.
Our defense kept us in the game until they broke, which is what modern Raven D's do....keep you in it until their late fail.

He did throw for 1850 yards second half of season which doubles to 3700, but what he threw for was 3100. Quite pitiful consider the level of competition.

His season rate was 80, second half of the season 87.

Could you make an argument that he played better second have of the season on Stats?.......well yeah....but did he really?.....I mean REALLY????

No way. He fails on the Cincy game fur sur.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The "Eye Test" can be influenced by the level of competition and we got a lot of teams down on their luck. Houston, Green Bay, even Tennessee, (and they beat us). We beat Cleveland twice again, but that's not gonna hold into the future, you can take that to the bank. I just can't cotton a notion that Flacco played well. Just didn't perceive that in the least.

His year ypa was 5.7, second have of the season it was 5.9.
Biggest game of the season was Cincy at HOME to make the playoffs and he was 4.3 per attempt.
Our defense kept us in the game until they broke, which is what modern Raven D's do....keep you in it until their late fail.

He did throw for 1850 yards second half of season which doubles to 3700, but what he threw for was 3100. Quite pitiful consider the level of competition.

His season rate was 80, second half of the season 87.

Could you make an argument that he played better second have of the season on Stats?.......well yeah....but did he really?.....I mean REALLY????

No way. He fails on the Cincy game fur sur.

Are you honestly arguing he should have thrown it further in a game where the wind was catching any ball over 6 yards and making them uncatchable? The elements matter and you do not decide to throw it deep when a bloody tornado is going on, you pound the rock and throw it short and they did and it was the reason the offense looked so good in the second half.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Are you honestly arguing he should have thrown it further in a game where the wind was catching any ball over 6 yards and making them uncatchable? The elements matter and you do not decide to throw it deep when a bloody tornado is going on, you pound the rock and throw it short and they did and it was the reason the offense looked so good in the second half.

No I'm not...but Flacco threw short all year, not just in that game.

I'm saying Flacco did not play well ALL year.

Andy Dalton outplayed Flacco that game on our Home Field, with nothing to play for and with the worst statistical offense in the league. By the way, how do you like Dalton's game winning TD pass in that weather?

All I'm saying is Flacco ain't ever getting back to those four weeks in 2012 / 2013. We can feed him receivers. I think 5 of his top 6 receiving yard gainers are gone. We have a way of not providing him with receivers and also taking them away from him. Same is true of his offensive coordinators. Its just what "playing Raven" means theses days!

I can understand the optimism about getting him better catchers. I can, its just that hes a proven commodity at this stage. He needs a receiver he can "bond" with. That's something entirely different than providing him with catchers that have been good in the past.

5.3 yards per attempt and a cloud of dust!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
What really need is the right OC for flacco! Dont matter if we gave him julio, AB and hopkins he will still be avg to below avg and inconsistent. We need an OC like mcdaniels so that every time flacco throws the ball, the wr is wide tf open.