• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't need to tell you about our track record with drafting WRs. I'd rather trade multiple picks for Odell and be set for 10 years than keep missing on WRs and wasting 1st rounders
We have literally used one first round pick on a receiver in the history of our franchise.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
3. We've used 3. They were just so trash you forgot they used a first on them.
Haha. My point is we don’t draft enough high WRs. Every single team misses on receivers. The argument can be made that we just don’t draft enough.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
We have literally used one first round pick on a receiver in the history of our franchise.
Breshad, Clayton and Travis Taylor.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s still not nearly enough misses to make trading 2 first rounders for a receiver okay.

Simba

Staff Member
In no world is any team going to pay 2 1st rounders for a WR with one year left on his contract who wants to be paid out the ass, and he still has maturity problems.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Haha. My point is we don’t draft enough high WRs. Every single team misses on receivers. The argument can be made that we just don’t draft enough.

Then the argument can also be made it would make more sense to spend on a sure thing, especially when you have shown an inability to get it done in house. I'm personally against using 2 firsts at this particular moment, but there are more factors. One is, we honestly don't know if Joe will even be our qb in a couple of years. We have no idea of the staff that will be here and would we want a young qb( if we go that route) under Beckham's tutelage? Then there's the fact we don't know if the contract would be accepted and he's coming off a season ending injury. Two firsts is a high price to pay in this specific situation also considering there could be a potential suspension. One first, I wouldn't hesitate to to try and make it happen. This current season looks like it could be brutal and our 19 picks might be VERY valuable.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Then the argument can also be made it would make more sense to spend on a sure thing, especially when you have shown an inability to get it done in house. I'm personally against using 2 firsts at this particular moment, but there are more factors. One is, we honestly don't know if Joe will even be our qb in a couple of years. We have no idea of the staff that will be here and would we want a young qb( if we go that route) under Beckham's tutelage? Then there's the fact we don't know if the contract would be accepted and he's coming off a season ending injury. Two firsts is a high price to pay in this specific situation also considering there could be a potential suspension. One first, I wouldn't hesitate to to try and make it happen. This current season looks like it could be brutal and our 19 picks might be VERY valuable.
You typed this whole post just for it to mean absolutely nothing

redrum52

Hall of Famer
That’s still not nearly enough misses to make trading 2 first rounders for a receiver okay.

It's not just the misses, but look at the guys we've drafted and wrs taken around the time of picks, later rounds included. The scouts we have aren't good at evaluating talent and we sure as hell don't know how to develop them.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's not just the misses, but look at the guys we've drafted and wrs taken around the time of picks, later rounds included. The scouts we have aren't good at evaluating talent and we sure as hell don't know how to develop them.
No ones arguing with this

Simba

Staff Member
My point is trade for pieces. Not him at that cost, but use the picks to trade for someone you value.

Problem is the value. A big reason the draft is so important is because you get players on very low contracts for 4 years. If you continually trade away your picks to get guys that might only have 1 year left on the deal and then you're forced to pay them, you're going to be in cap hell or you're wasting picks to let guys walk. I think you can trade picks sometimes for a valuable player, but teams that are winning are doing so because they have quality players on cheap deals, so they can fill in elsewhere.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Breshad, Clayton and Travis Taylor.

But only 1 of those is since joe was our qb...
As a bigger question - in the history of ravens first round picks how many have been skill positions players - we may have missed but we also haven’t taken enough chances for it to constitute a trend - and that’s what I’m more sore about - the fact that we never really tried to get pieces

Tru11

Practice Squad
a smart team would first agree on a new contract before making a trade involving first round picks.

Simba

Staff Member
a smart team would first agree on a new contract before making a trade involving first round picks.

Easier said than done in the current NFL. So many guys are chomping at the bit to hit FA because teams continue to jack the price up every year. A contract a guy gets now might not be what he can get on the open market in 2019.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Easier said than done in the current NFL. So many guys are chomping at the bit to hit FA because teams continue to jack the price up every year. A contract a guy gets now might not be what he can get on the open market in 2019.

many guys are chomping for the security of a long term deal.

coming off an injury filled season , a long term deal right now might be the better option then banking on yourself to stay injury and ball out to get a big contract in FA which you might not even get cause your ass got tagged lol.
not to mention you have to get through the entire year without acting a fool to not risk any suspensions and such.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think a big part of the solution to this will come with the next CBA. Oh don't get me wrong, prices will continue to go up, but I believe we will start to see more and more guaranteed contracts that could, in the end, lower the price of the contract. Many of these contracts never see the end of the deal and due to the backloading of the contracts and agents wanting to show a high contract value. If these contracts become fully guaranteed it solves the issue, to a degree.