• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Simba

Staff Member
many guys are chomping for the security of a long term deal.

coming off an injury filled season , a long term deal right now might be the better option then banking on yourself to stay injury and ball out to get a big contract in FA which you might not even get cause your ass got tagged lol.
not to mention you have to get through the entire year without acting a fool to not risk any suspensions and such.

I was speaking more generally. In Beckham's case, I'd absolutely expect him to sign a long-term deal early if the offer is what he wants, and that's because he's going to set the market again. I was looking more at those guys that are really good players, but not elite tier, who are going to want to test the market. It's not often elite players are actually available via trade, and Beckham wouldn't be if he wasn't so immature.

We don’t need an elite WR to go deep or win a title. I’ll pass on Beckham, I’d much rather take a WR 2nd and see if we can get one later in FA.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think a big part of the solution to this will come with the next CBA. Oh don't get me wrong, prices will continue to go up, but I believe we will start to see more and more guaranteed contracts that could, in the end, lower the price of the contract. Many of these contracts never see the end of the deal and due to the backloading of the contracts and agents wanting to show a high contract value. If these contracts become fully guaranteed it solves the issue, to a degree.

All they’d need to do for fully guaranteed contracts to work is create a vehicle for cap relief in the cases of injury - the player doesn’t lose money but the nfl grants the team a credit in cap space for the amount of the contract that’s missed by a player - teams essentially already get that for suspensions so bringing this in for injuries would be a great way to fully guarantee contracts without ballooning the salary cap (although that is likely too)

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow the Browns traded Kessler for a conditional 7th...

He would've made a nice backup for that price

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
Didn't see it mentioned here (might have just missed it), but Ben Watson officially signed with the Saints, not the Chiefs, today. That's +1 in the comp pick game for us, bringing us to +2 overall.

Remaining free agents:
  • Luke Bowanko
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Michael Campanaro
  • Crockett Gillmore
  • Austin Howard
  • Steven Johnson
  • Ryan Mallett
  • Terrance West

Howard is probably our last hope at gaining another comp pick, as the market is silent for everyone else. Howard isn't guaranteed to sign, but the other 7 are surely going to be either minimum deals or signed after the draft when comp picks go away.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Didn't see it mentioned here (might have just missed it), but Ben Watson officially signed with the Saints, not the Chiefs, today. That's +1 in the comp pick game for us, bringing us to +2 overall.

Remaining free agents:
  • Luke Bowanko
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Michael Campanaro
  • Crockett Gillmore
  • Austin Howard
  • Steven Johnson
  • Ryan Mallett
  • Terrance West

Howard is probably our last hope at gaining another comp pick, as the market is silent for everyone else. Howard isn't guaranteed to sign, but the other 7 are surely going to be either minimum deals or signed after the draft when comp picks go away.

If I’m honest I was never expecting anybody except Jensen (and maybe Wallace) to garner comp pick value contracts - I seriously doubt Wallace or Watson’s contracts will end up in the top 32 - for the most part I only care about them leaving because it adds extra insurance to us getting Jensen’s comp pick

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Remaining free agents:
  • Luke Bowanko
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Michael Campanaro
  • Crockett Gillmore
  • Austin Howard
  • Steven Johnson
  • Ryan Mallett
  • Terrance West

watson to Saints was in 'nfl news and rumours' thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
All they’d need to do for fully guaranteed contracts to work is create a vehicle for cap relief in the cases of injury - the player doesn’t lose money but the nfl grants the team a credit in cap space for the amount of the contract that’s missed by a player - teams essentially already get that for suspensions so bringing this in for injuries would be a great way to fully guarantee contracts without ballooning the salary cap (although that is likely too)

Remaining free agents:
  • Luke Bowanko
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Michael Campanaro
  • Crockett Gillmore
  • Austin Howard
  • Steven Johnson
  • Ryan Mallett
  • Terrance West

yeah, jamison hensley thinks we should be inline with a 6th or 7th round comp for Watson in addition to the 3rd round possibility with Jensen. Most likely ends up being a 4th but it's still a possibility.

Simba

Staff Member
If I’m honest I was never expecting anybody except Jensen (and maybe Wallace) to garner comp pick value contracts - I seriously doubt Wallace or Watson’s contracts will end up in the top 32 - for the most part I only care about them leaving because it adds extra insurance to us getting Jensen’s comp pick

Watson is probably borderline, but still a +1 for us. OTC, which is always a great resource, has 34 (37 technically, but 3 teams have 5 when the limit is 4) comp picks to be handed out as of right now.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Remaining free agents:
  • Luke Bowanko
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Michael Campanaro
  • Crockett Gillmore
  • Austin Howard
  • Steven Johnson
  • Ryan Mallett
  • Terrance West

I forgot all about boykin lol. They thought he was gonna be the best slot cb in nfl

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I forgot all about boykin lol. They thought he was gonna be the best slot cb in nfl
No we didn’t. We thought if he was healthy abs could regain for, that he could be decent depth. His injuries took too much toll on him

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
so..are we done until the draft because if we are..i'm not that impressed?

Many other teams have got better considerably more than we have.

Our O line isn't going to cut it..harbaugh is bullish every year so his words are laughable.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Have we actually seen them play yet? It's pretty common for a team to be declared great after some offseason moves and then be awful or mediocre during the regular season. Remember that Eagles' "dream team" from awhile back? Seriously, this happens every off season. Teams get hyped after free agency moves and then don't do much.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Our O line isn't going to cut it..harbaugh is bullish every year so his words are laughable.

If you watched this team long enough you would know that Ozzie is never done with adding more pieces to the team even after the draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Have we actually seen them play yet? It's pretty common for a team to be declared great after some offseason moves and then be awful or mediocre during the regular season. Remember that Eagles' "dream team" from awhile back? Seriously, this happens every off season. Teams get hyped after free agency moves and then don't do much.

Dolphins “win” the offseason every year around this time and then proceed to be the same disappointing team in September and beyond

Simba

Staff Member

What exactly do you want them to do at this point? Look at the FA market and what's left. Who out there is worth signing?

Tru11

Practice Squad
What exactly do you want them to do at this point? Look at the FA market and what's left. Who out there is worth signing?

boldin :whistle: