• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dez is only 29 and what like 8 yrs in the league. He damn sure aint washed up but doubt if we could throw out the most money. If we had a cast of Dez, Smoky, Crabs and Moore I,d be stoked. Heck Perriman might not make the team or this could put a fire under his ass and make him better *fingers crossed*.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
oh, well the whole "collins was a one year wonder" line made me think you were writing him off lol
And I did say that because he is a one year wonder at this point. But there is some question about his future. I know he is talented and hopefully is the answer. I just don't want to bank on one guy at the position especially when there are question marks as well at the position. Collins is the starter going forward and definitely played like a top 15 back last season and I hope the trend continues and he is the guy for 7-8 years. But I also could see the team drafting a running back early just because of Allen probably leaving next season and Dixon also getting suspended. And you can never have too many running backs. I think the Henry-Murray combo a couple years ago proved that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Idk about jackson yet. He has potential but ive seen him throw way too many horrible passes. Has a great deep ball though
I'm a big Jackson fan and his mechanics are fixable and should absolutely fix his accuracy issues outside of the numbers.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Idk about jackson yet. He has potential but ive seen him throw way too many horrible passes. Has a great deep ball though
Strange, I thought his general accuracy seemed solid (aside from the occasional duck stemming from his base) but he tends to under throw deep balls seemingly because he's restraining his arm

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Strange, I thought his general accuracy seemed solid (aside from the occasional duck stemming from his base) but he tends to under throw deep balls seemingly because he's restraining his arm
His deep ball is imconsistent at times but he does show plenty of ability. I think his arm strength isnt an issue, but like you said, he restrains his arm at times by trying to aim the ball and doesnt always have a good base

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm a big Jackson fan and his mechanics are fixable and should absolutely fix his accuracy issues outside of the numbers.
They're fixable in theory but there is no guarantee he will ever be consistent in that regard.

Too often he throws with only his upper body. This needs fixing. He tbecomes less and less accurate downfield.....though somehow he manages to be pretty accurate on shorter routes.

It is uncommon seeing him slide in the pocket....he'll sooner bolt prematurely. Sometimes his legs will bail him out but that won't work consistently in the NFL. He will absolutely have to learn how to manipulate the pocket at the next level.

In general, he does not do a good job in weight distribution when throwing.

I'd be excited about the change....and hopeful...but he is a bit of a dice roll but he will need time and there is no guarantee his habits are fixable.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
They're fixable in theory but there is no guarantee he will ever be consistent in that regard.

Too often he throws with only his upper body. This needs fixing. He tbecomes less and less accurate downfield.....though somehow he manages to be pretty accurate on shorter routes.

It is uncommon seeing him slide in the pocket....he'll sooner bolt prematurely. Sometimes his legs will bail him out but that won't work consistently in the NFL. He will absolutely have to learn how to manipulate the pocket at the next level.

I'd be excited about the change....and hopeful...but he is a bit of a dice roll but he will need time and there is no guarantee his habits are fixable.
no one has guarantees, but his he has some seriously good traits and plays in offense with NFL concepts. His traits are more than fixable, but agree, there are no guarantees.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I can’t tell if you’re agreeing that it’s on Dak or if you’re saying Dez is washed because he hasn’t had a 1k season since 2014...

Agreeing its on Dak.

I think ultimately he'll end up choosing the Packers over us but Im hoping we get him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean i see some of this and also i dont see some of this

he has eminently fixable mechanical issues but his throwing motion's problem is not because he throws with his upper body but its because he leans and puts so much force through his front leg which leaves him prone to leaning forward and having a shorter base which naturally creates a whippier arm motion which naturally makes inaccuracy harder - he has unbelievable power in that left plant leg that sometimes you can see him literally leave the ground when he delivers the football - that's why im less worried about him potentially taking hits as much as i was because of the sheer strength in his lower body

and if im honest i dont see him being more inaccurate down the field at all i see a fairly consistent inaccuracy in his throws at all levels on all kinds of throws which is troubling but i genuinely think that fixing his mechanics will naturally increase his accuracy

an early critique i had of jackson is that he scrambles to run not to pass but in finishing up with the tape ill admit when im wrong and i was flatout wrong - he consistently keeps his eyes downfield and off script manipulates the defence to open up throwing lanes in improvisational situations

ill also point out that his accuracy issues are not as bad as documented and suggested by his completion percentage - i dont think ive studied a qb in this class who's suffered more/worse drops and tipped balls by receivers than jackson - his corps was legitimately awful at catching the ball - and maybe some of that is on jackson showing a lack of touch (something that he seemed to want to emphasise at his pro day and showed improvement with it already as well as taking snaps under center which improved even in the few weeks between the combine and his proday)

i think his rollouts and movement around and even out of the pocket is inefficient but he's got the athletic ability and nouse to make defenders miss in the hole and buy himself some time - if his pocket awareness develops he'll be lethal in this aspect

jackson's ideal scenario i think is to go somewhere with a veteran starter so that the pressure is off him early on - even if he doesnt sit out his whole first year i think there's no doubt in my mind that he would benefit from not starting in week 1 - i think we'll see a lot of him in the preseason a la patrick mahomes and then depending on his team we should see him week 17 again like the chiefs and mahomes - for me that feels like the ideal scenario with regards to jackson getting drafted

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens best bet is to convince him to sit down and that success is the best revenge and then work the he doesn't leave the building magic
If success is the best revenge then he won’t come here...I think we have a chance to be a decent team next year but there are plenty of teams he can go to that will give him a better chance at success than here.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean i see some of this and also i dont see some of this

he has eminently fixable mechanical issues but his throwing motion's problem is not because he throws with his upper body but its because he leans and puts so much force through his front leg which leaves him prone to leaning forward and having a shorter base which naturally creates a whippier arm motion which naturally makes inaccuracy harder - he has unbelievable power in that left plant leg that sometimes you can see him literally leave the ground when he delivers the football - that's why im less worried about him potentially taking hits as much as i was because of the sheer strength in his lower body

and if im honest i dont see him being more inaccurate down the field at all i see a fairly consistent inaccuracy in his throws at all levels on all kinds of throws which is troubling but i genuinely think that fixing his mechanics will naturally increase his accuracy

an early critique i had of jackson is that he scrambles to run not to pass but in finishing up with the tape ill admit when im wrong and i was flatout wrong - he consistently keeps his eyes downfield and off script manipulates the defence to open up throwing lanes in improvisational situations

ill also point out that his accuracy issues are not as bad as documented and suggested by his completion percentage - i dont think ive studied a qb in this class who's suffered more/worse drops and tipped balls by receivers than jackson - his corps was legitimately awful at catching the ball - and maybe some of that is on jackson showing a lack of touch (something that he seemed to want to emphasise at his pro day and showed improvement with it already as well as taking snaps under center which improved even in the few weeks between the combine and his proday)

i think his rollouts and movement around and even out of the pocket is inefficient but he's got the athletic ability and nouse to make defenders miss in the hole and buy himself some time - if his pocket awareness develops he'll be lethal in this aspect

jackson's ideal scenario i think is to go somewhere with a veteran starter so that the pressure is off him early on - even if he doesnt sit out his whole first year i think there's no doubt in my mind that he would benefit from not starting in week 1 - i think we'll see a lot of him in the preseason a la patrick mahomes and then depending on his team we should see him week 17 again like the chiefs and mahomes - for me that feels like the ideal scenario with regards to jackson getting drafted
He needs to sit. No question.
He's tantalizing as a player but if he is graded solely as a passer he comes up wanting so far as mechanics and accuracy,( Realizing there is more to his game). With that said, I'm all aboard if we draft him.

I'd like to draft an offense around this guy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He needs to sit. No question.
He's tantalizing as a player but if he is graded solely as a passer he comes up wanting so far as mechanics and accuracy,( Realizing there is more to his game). With that said, I'm all aboard if we draft him.

I'd like to draft an offense around this guy.

yeah but all drafting is based on projection - if that wasnt the case then darnold, allen and jackson would have no chance at first round grades -

darnold has awkward mechanics and a low beginning of his delivery that are conducive to putting the ball on the ground and a history of bad turnovers

allen has awful accuracy issues and rampant inconsistencies and a seeming inability to read the field at times as well as an incredibly low completion percentage

jackson has bad but fixable mechanics and a history of incompletions at the collegiate level

but as with everything their grades are based on projection and their likelihood/ability to develop - i actually think that jackson is the least problematic to project because none of his issues are inherently unfixable whereas darnold's delivery is likely stuck as it is in some form and allen's reading of the field is at best going to take time to develop but at worst could lead to him being a huge bust

but i dont think jackson really comes up wanting as a passer in his grade (at least when compared to allen) and in terms of my grade his running ability and off-script stuff elevated him a few spots on the board but it didnt dramatically improve his grade as such