• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Reports coming out that sanders is as good as gone. If the ravens don't go after him hardcore I'm gonna be pissed. He's exacrly the kinda guy we need, he's a legit NFL receiver without many weaknesses, steady and dependable and well rounded as they come. He needs to be a primary target for us.
We'll never sign former Steelers receiver!

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Ravens should clear out cap space and really make a real run at Robinson. Not a so called joke of a “strong offer”. Cuz here is the deal. Not a player on the team up for free agency or cap cut couldn’t be replaced except for maybe Jensen. And that includes CJ Mosley. Good linebackers are all over. Cuz he isn’t an elite feared splash LB. Where are the ravens gonna find a legit No.1 WR?? The kinda receiver that makes the No.2 and 3 WRs better. The kind the offense feeds off of and makes Joe better. Unless management trades up for Ridley then where is a No.1 coming from?? Cuz this WR class is a real crapshoot. Dudes like Miller Kirk and Cobbs could maybe be solid No.2 options. But could be busts and average as well. Not to mention Robinson would help a young No.2 WR succeed cuz the attention he takes from them.

I don't see The Jaguars letting Allen Robinson walk . They have the cap space to tag him and there's already reports out there mentioning that they will tag him if they can't come to a contract agreement with Robinson. The Jaguars are most likely going to cut Allen Hurns who hasn't lived up to his contract and will save them 7 million towards their cap. Once they do that there is no way they going to let Robinson walk. I doubt The Rams are going to let Sammy Watkins leave either especially since they traded for him and I think gave up a second round pick. Overall the chances of those two legit number one receivers making it to free agency seems slim. I know anything can happen but I think it's reasonable to strongly believe that none of those guys are reaching free agency this year. Having a number one receiver would be great for this offense but i don't think that's the only way the offenses can be better and I don't think that's the only way that it will make Joe better. The offense just need playmakers and receivers that can catch the ball consistently. They don't really need number a one receiver to do that.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I agree we need to hit WR and playmaker especially hard in both Draft and FA. We need to be aggressive in both avenues because we can't just rely on a draft pick panning out to succeed on this team. I'm not talking about re-signing Wallace because that's the status quo but we need to make an upgrade there. We can sign Wallace sure but that's not where we should be resting our laurels. Last year I remember a lot of people wanted Jeffrey and man were they vindicated. You have to be willing to pony up the dollars to get where you need to be. Sadly, our GM has failed us in his recent drafts dating back to the beginning of the end back in 2010, to the start of the end in 2012 (passing on Harrison Smith, an egregious mistake honestly) and then the real start of our decline in 2012. I realize we've hit on Mosley and Stanley and now Humphrey, but we can't keep taking these 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round missed--sometimes which occur all in the same draft. That's absolutely destroying the team.

We gotta sign a FA WR or two AND draft a couple as well. We're that bad at WR right now.
Thank you.
Those saying that "we don't need an older WR" don't understand the serverity of the situation. Our best WR is Wallace. While I wouldn't be against keeping him(he likely won't be expensive and he likes it here), we still have to add two guys with him here. Dez, Sanders, Thomas.. Wouldn't mind either. Dez and Sanders can catch the fucking ball, and Dez Bryant is a red zone weapon the team is lacking. Sanders can get open with the best of them and can make tough catches. Doesn't matter if they're not #1s, they're an upgrade over anyone we've got and make the offense better.

Fwiw. Sanders would be #2 on my list behind Robinson. Not only that, I could see it. He knows the division, would want to get revenge on the steelers and we are willing to play ball. He'll last a lot longer than Wallace did too and isn't lacking in the speed department. Not only that, damn good over the middle. Adding him adds another dimension to the offense.

I'd be fine with it. Especially since we cannot afford to only have one acquisition at the WR position

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not my first choices but they are both pretty good WRs so I would definitely be okay with them.

for me its a case of not being sure there's a big name free agent wr id be fully comfortable with coming in here and being a big time receiver worth the money we give them - whereas i think we can add 2 solid lower cost free agent receivers who are really high level number 3 receivers (maybe even number 2 receivers) maybe you resign wallace and cut maclin and add a young rookie and suddenly you've transformed your wide receiver corps - you might not have a definite number 1 receiver straight off the bat but you'll have vets in the building if the rookie needs some acclimation time, you'll have a wr group with complementary skillsets and you'll have legitimate depth with guys like camp, moore and perriman duking it out just to grab the last 2 spots on the depth chart (camp and moore likely win because of special teams)

so i think moncrief + gabriel + wallace will likely cost lest in yearly average than one of the top free agent wrs + maclin in terms of cap space and they is likely less competition for them too (it's how we got woodhead on a decent contract so quickly with little competition because we found a guy we liked who wouldnt attract the first round of interest and gave them an offer with some guaranteed money and woodhead said yes very quickly)

then add a day 2 receiver in the draft (or day 1 depending on who's there)... (pick your poison on this one depending on who you're into) but for the sake of argument ill say anthony miller...

your revamped wr corps looks like this:

Wallace, Moncrief, Gabriel, Miller, Moore, Campanaro

now that's not the flashiest group but its a group with complementary skillsets that doesnt require rushing the rookie into the starting lineup but also doesnt hinder his development if he performs well - you've got deep speed, a big body on the outside, a shifty slot receiver with a knack for finding space in the middle of the field, a promising rookie who's physical and a smooth route runner who has an enormous chip on his shoulder - then you add chris moore who's looked to be improving steadily while also being a good special teamer and camp who when healthy has always been a useful part of the team even when not targeted and has been the leader in the clubhouse for punt returning for a few years now (this is as long as we re-sign camp which isnt a given but id imagine he has nowhere else to go that will offer him a better contract than we will)

i personally like the look of that receiving corps especially when you add the fact that it doesnt even include woodhead yet or any tight ends we find from somewhere too...

i realise its not the flashy outcome that many on this forum would want but id personally be elated with this outcome especially as it doesnt mortgage future cap space

and let's be honest literally any improvement at wideout from last year will vastly improve the offence if joe continues to improve (here's hoping james urban really does help flacco get back in rhythm)

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well Jarvis Landry just caught a 49 yd pass. Maybe...just maybe...the Dolphins just never used him to the best of his ability lol

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I don't see The Jaguars letting Allen Robinson walk . They have the cap space to tag him and there's already reports out there mentioning that they will tag him if they can't come to a contract agreement with Robinson. The Jaguars are most likely going to cut Allen Hurns who hasn't lived up to his contract and will save them 7 million towards their cap. Once they do that there is no way they going to let Robinson walk. I doubt The Rams are going to let Sammy Watkins leave either especially since they traded for him and I think gave up a second round pick. Overall the chances of those two legit number one receivers making it to free agency seems slim. I know anything can happen but I think it's reasonable to strongly believe that none of those guys are reaching free agency this year. Having a number one receiver would be great for this offense but i don't think that's the only way the offenses can be better and I don't think that's the only way that it will make Joe better. The offense just need playmakers and receivers that can catch the ball consistently. They don't really need number a one receiver to do that.

I agree to an extent. You can have a top5 offense with an offense full of top shelf No.2 WRs. However in that case the offense fronts an elite QB. A playmaking QB that can function without a legit No.1 Receiver. A truly dominant oline could propel the offense to top status with a good QB and top shelf no.2 receivers. But an offense needs a catalyst of some kind to be elite. Be it an elite top6 QB, a No.1 WR or a dominant destructive oline.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree to an extent. You can have a top5 offense with an offense full of top shelf No.2 WRs. However in that case the offense fronts an elite QB. A playmaking QB that can function without a legit No.1 Receiver. A truly dominant oline could propel the offense to top status with a good QB and top shelf no.2 receivers. But an offense needs a catalyst of some kind to be elite. Be it an elite top6 QB, a No.1 WR or a dominant destructive oline.
Do you actually think Cousins is an elite qb, because they have no more than no, 2 WRs and that has been since he has been the starter. The last few yrs they have had very good offenses, without a no, 1 and without an elite qb

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Do you actually think Cousins is an elite qb, because they have no more than no, 2 WRs and that has been since he has been the starter. The last few yrs they have had very good offenses, without a no, 1 and without an elite qb

Cousins is probably top10. No elite receivers but lots of top shelf No.2/ borderline No.1 WRs and TE’s. And several anchors along the oline including the best left tackle in the league. Quite an amount of skill across their offense.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If Rob Quinn were cut ravens should really consider pursuing him. The opportunity is really geared toward Donald. He often forces the qb to step into Donald. He could be a game plan destroyer in ravens system. He runs like a safety and has similar skills as Von Miller. He could outproduce Dumervil on ravens defense. But he can cover as well. If Timmy Williams finds his way then the rush could hit QBs even on 3 step drops. At 27 he would be a tremendous steal cuz he is overshadowed by Aaron Donald.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
If Rob Quinn were cut ravens should really consider pursuing him. The opportunity is really geared toward Donald. He often forces the qb to step into Donald. He could be a game plan destroyer in ravens system. He runs like a safety and has similar skills as Von Miller. He could outproduce Dumervil on ravens defense. But he can cover as well. If Timmy Williams finds his way then the rush could hit QBs even on 3 step drops. At 27 he would be a tremendous steal cuz he is overshadowed by Aaron Donald.
Why would he be cut?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Why would he be cut?

Read on the net couple times he was potential cap cut. I could be mistaken but rams may of shopped him?? But I know he is on several lists as potential cap cut as rams look to sign oline help. And wow could he be a destroyer on the ravens and a great bargain!!