• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Never underestimate the stupidity of the Kronke!

Their plan is to sign oline help for their young my franchise qb. The anchor is old. and replace Quinn in the draft. Team isn’t happy with his production recently. And don’t wanna wait to coach up oline players. Rams want to protect their young franchise qb expresso style. And Has to sign Aaron Donald to long contract. And Rams are keeping Watkins as well. He isn’t hitting the market. Rams fans know their teams plan. And pretty much are happy the team wants to build around The QB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Cousins is probably top10. No elite receivers but lots of top shelf No.2/ borderline No.1 WRs and TE’s. And several anchors along the oline including the best left tackle in the league. Quite an amount of skill across their offense.
Cousins is not a top 10 qb. (Meant to say he’s not elite qb) Yes he’s top 10 in yards, but they don’t have a running game, they have to pass. Garcon was not a number 1, DJax was not a number 1, Reed when healthy is a stud, but he’s barely healthy. He also has a very good ol. He wasn’t doing well at all when the OL was injured.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Cousins is not a top 10 qb. Yes he’s top 10 in yards, but they don’t have a running game, they have to pass. Garcon was not a number 1, DJax was not a number 1, Reed when healthy is a stud, but he’s barely healthy. He also has a very good ol. He wasn’t doing well at all when the OL was injured.

i dunno - watching cousins this year he looked every bit the part of a top 10 qb - he also quite obviously shows leadership, a willingness to improve in meaningful ways (and you can see the fruits of that labour clearly in the game film)

maybe he ends up being 11th or 12th or whatever on some arbitrary list but he is most certainly a top level qb

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dunno - watching cousins this year he looked every bit the part of a top 10 qb - he also quite obviously shows leadership, a willingness to improve in meaningful ways (and you can see the fruits of that labour clearly in the game film)

maybe he ends up being 11th or 12th or whatever on some arbitrary list but he is most certainly a top level qb
I did not mean to say top 10 qb, because he is that. Probably closer to the bottom of the top 10. What I was commenting on was sledge’s comment that the teams that win without a no. 1 wr and only no. 2 wrs have an elite QBs.

Cousins is not an elite qb.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I did not mean to say top 10 qb, because he is that. Probably closer to the bottom of the top 10. What I was commenting on was sledge’s comment that the teams that win without a no. 1 wr and only no. 2 wrs have an elite QBs.

Cousins is not an elite qb.

Oh I agree - and, as the flacco situation always demonstrated, how do you even define or quantify an elite qb anyway?

I’d suggest that only Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers really fit the bill as “elite” qbs

It also depends on how you define a number 1 wr too

I’ll think of some examples:
Kirk Cousins
Matthew Stafford
Jared Goff
Russell Wilson
Jimmy G
Cam Newton
Marcus Mariota
Dak Prescott

If Bortles does pass his physical, does Jacksonville go hard after Cousins? If so then I cannot imagine them managing to keep Allen Robinson.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Oh I agree - and, as the flacco situation always demonstrated, how do you even define or quantify an elite qb anyway?

I’d suggest that only Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers really fit the bill as “elite” qbs

It also depends on how you define a number 1 wr too

I’ll think of some examples:
Kirk Cousins
Matthew Stafford
Jared Goff
Russell Wilson
Jimmy G
Cam Newton
Marcus Mariota
Dak Prescott

2 elite Rodgers and Brady. Brees is elite lite and then Philip Rivers. Those are top 4 to me and have been for years. There is a level of play you expect and will for the most part see it on a routine basis, regardless of if a top target goes down. After that, a lot is debatable, but I think there will be similar names from 5-10 for the most part.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2 elite Rodgers and Brady. Brees is elite lite and then Philip Rivers. Those are top 4 to me and have been for years. There is a level of play you expect and will for the most part see it on a routine basis, regardless of if a top target goes down. After that, a lot is debatable, but I think there will be similar names from 5-10 for the most part.

tbh i dont even think rivers is 4th anymore

maybe at some point this offseason ill try and project the qb rankings for next year based off personal expectations, game film, situation, injuries, age etc.

but if im honest i dont foresee rivers being in the top 7 or so on that list...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Bortles does pass his physical, does Jacksonville go hard after Cousins? If so then I cannot imagine them managing to keep Allen Robinson.

idk - if they are able to get rid of bortles' 19 million salary then i think that leaves them with around $35 mill space under the salary cap which would definitely be enough to franchise robinson and give out the largest qb contract in nfl history - but they wouldnt be able to do much additional spending in free agency on top of those 2 deals - it's certainly manageable and they may be able to bring in an addition or two on top of those 2 deals if they really backload the qb deal (which i imagine they would)

at the moment i imagine the franchise tag on robinson will cost over $15 mill and the cap hit in year 1 of a massive qb deal will be manageable - matthew stafford's deal will be the starting point i imagine in any negotiation with cousins (for any potential team) that deal only had a cap hit of $16.5 mill in year 1

add some inflation from the salary cap increase and also the fact that should he have been franchised he would have got $35 mill or something stupid and i think we are gonna get close to (or maybe even exceed) a $30 mill/year average

i genuinely think we might see something like a 5 year $150 mill deal with over $100 mill guaranteed (with maybe 3/4 of that guaranteed at signing)
and i imagine whichever team he goes to would finagle that so that the early cap hits were lower before skyrocketing around the next cba - i just had a go and i reckon the lowest they could reasonably make his year 1 cap hit with a deal like that is about 18/19 mill in year 1

idk - if they are able to get rid of bortles' 19 million salary then i think that leaves them with around $35 mill space under the salary cap which would definitely be enough to franchise robinson and give out the largest qb contract in nfl history - but they wouldnt be able to do much additional spending in free agency on top of those 2 deals - it's certainly manageable and they may be able to bring in an addition or two on top of those 2 deals if they really backload the qb deal (which i imagine they would)

at the moment i imagine the franchise tag on robinson will cost over $15 mill and the cap hit in year 1 of a massive qb deal will be manageable - matthew stafford's deal will be the starting point i imagine in any negotiation with cousins (for any potential team) that deal only had a cap hit of $16.5 mill in year 1

add some inflation from the salary cap increase and also the fact that should he have been franchised he would have got $35 mill or something stupid and i think we are gonna get close to (or maybe even exceed) a $30 mill/year average

i genuinely think we might see something like a 5 year $150 mill deal with over $100 mill guaranteed (with maybe 3/4 of that guaranteed at signing)
and i imagine whichever team he goes to would finagle that so that the early cap hits were lower before skyrocketing around the next cba - i just had a go and i reckon the lowest they could reasonably make his year 1 cap hit with a deal like that is about 18/19 mill in year 1
Well they can definitely keep Robinson, but it will leave them in a vulnerable position for years to come, and with Coughlin at the helm that may not be the direction they're heading.

I don't know, I'm just exploring many avenues of how he could end up here because I want Robinson really badly, it might be a pipe dream but he's everything we need In a WR.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Well they can definitely keep Robinson, but it will leave them in a vulnerable position for years to come, and with Coughlin at the helm that may not be the direction they're heading.

I don't know, I'm just exploring many avenues of how he could end up here because I want Robinson really badly, it might be a pipe dream but he's everything we need In a WR.

To make cap space to sign building block players I would cut every patch job players hurting the salary wall. Cut or trade
Weddle: sorry he is gonna be slower every year
Maclin: shouldn’t need explanation
Carr: maybe a keep, how much saved??
Correa: no explanation
Bronk: no explanation
Perriman: failed experiment
Woodhead: I like him but he is old
Williams: if significant cap savings. I think Henry and pierce can do the job. Draft a young tackle and TRUST our young players
Max: Unless he agrees to commit to actually looking like an nfl TE. Tell him he is as ripped as Zack Ertz by June or he will be cut. As well as dedicate his offseason to running catching and practicing.
Howard: is already declining and will be a year older
Jimmy: trade or pay cut. Turning 30 and always injured.

Suggs and Yanda: wouldn’t really trade or cut cus of leadership and coaching. But could retire. And always scenario can show up totally not themselves at their age.

Last edited:

redrum52

Hall of Famer
To make cap space to sign building block players I would cut every patch job players hurting the salary wall. Cut or trade
Williams: if significant cap savings. I think Henry and pierce can do the job. Draft a young tackle and TRUST our young players
Max: Unless he agrees to commit to actually looking like an nfl TE. Tell him he is as ripped as Zack Ertz by June or he will be cut. As well as dedicate his offseason to running catching and practicing.

Suggs and Yanda: wouldn’t really trade or cut cus of leadership and coaching. But could retire. And always scenario can show up totally not themselves at their age.

You don't cut cheap young rooks just because you don't like them. You also don't just cut young productive rooks for taking a charger. You also also don't cut vets who essentially are cheaper to keep without a replacement. Do you know how the cap works?

Why is your pic of Gronk and JJ?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Jacquouille march 14

First our FO needs to structure the contracts a lot better. They need to put in roster and workout bonuses. This will help to reduce the signing bonus and less dead cap in the following seasons. This is how the steelers, Pats, Saints etc operate. At least Maclin, Carr and Howard have a roster bonus, which makes it easier to cut them.
Cut
Maclin: lack of production/health
Webb: savinings of 1.75 or 2M
McClellan: our ST unit played well without him. 1.25m savings
Kaufusi: failed
Woodhead or Howard depends on who Ozzie drafts.

Tank

Hall of Famer
@Jacquouille march 14

First our FO needs to structure the contracts a lot better. They need to put in roster and workout bonuses. This will help to reduce the signing bonus and less dead cap in the following seasons. This is how the steelers, Pats, Saints etc operate. At least Maclin, Carr and Howard have a roster bonus, which makes it easier to cut them.
Cut
Maclin: lack of production/health
Webb: savinings of 1.75 or 2M
McClellan: our ST unit played well without him. 1.25m savings
Kaufusi: failed
Woodhead or Howard depends on who Ozzie drafts.

With so much uncertainty I’m guessing both Woodhead and Howard remain another year.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
With so much uncertainty I’m guessing both Woodhead and Howard remain another year.
You're right Ozzie won't cut Woodhead, 1M of 2018 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2018. This results in only 800.000 savings. But I have a feeling that Ozzie probably drafts a RB. Collins and Allen are save. Dixon has injury and substance abuse problems.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i dunno about howard i can still see him leaving if the front office has a plan at right tackle but woodhead is is going nowhere - he adds an element to our offence that is hard to match - he runs routes better than more than half of our wideouts, is a safe pair of hands and was part of a critical and increasingly successful 3rd down package at the end of the year

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dunno about howard i can still see him leaving if the front office has a plan at right tackle but woodhead is is going nowhere - he adds an element to our offence that is hard to match - he runs routes better than more than half of our wideouts, is a safe pair of hands and was part of a critical and increasingly successful 3rd down package at the end of the year
Yeah, there is no way they cut him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Agree with Maclin, Howard. Don’t think any players on rookie deals should be cut at this point. Add Webb, McClellan, maybe Carr. Would be better if we can get a reduction in salary for Carr and keep him, but I doubt it.