• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
who the fuck is hurns? Just an average reciever. No thanks. We overrate so many guys here/ Hurns is a nobody who had one flukey year.
I guess the dozen or so teams that were interested in him overrate him too. Weird.

Just because you don’t have a lot of knowledge about other teams doesn’t mean we overrate players.

No one said Hurns is the greatest thing ever. But he does have potential and he’s flashed with Bortles. Imagine what he can do with a good QB.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess the dozen or so teams that were interested in him overrate him too. Weird.

Just because you don’t have a lot of knowledge about other teams doesn’t mean we overrate players.

No one said Hurns is the greatest thing ever. But he does have potential and he’s flashed with Bortles. Imagine what he can do with a good QB.

I know who hurns is and there are plenty of hurns in this league. 1 season wonder. I'll pass...there is nothing about him that stands out to the point where a player as good if not better can be had.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
who the fuck is hurns? Just an average reciever. No thanks. We overrate so many guys here/ Hurns is a nobody who had one flukey year.

He had a couple good years, certainly on TD production.
But what draws me to him for Flacco is I have NEVER seen another receiver that can instantaneously Separate like he can. When he wants to...he has daylight. And Bortles didn't use it. With the way Flacco really needs a "Trust" receiver, Hurns was the guy. Flacco could have locked on to him. Given him the two seconds to clear and SHEBANG....LASERBALL. But alas, once again....it is not to be.

I told DeCost publicly here. "pay any price"...and Eric dropped the ball, but that's what we do in that office.

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes. I know. It's getting a little far ahead for me. Besides, Ridleys being twenty four wouldn't preclude a second contract by necessity.

I think Ridley is 23. Regardless I really don’t think it’s a concern. In fact it could be viewed as a possible advantage as he may be more mature physically and mentally than say a 20 year old rookie.

Don't either of you get me wrong--I like Ridley a lot and wouldn't necessarily pass on him unless someone outstanding was there. I'm just saying even he has his marks against him. There's no perfect prospect at WR this year or even close to perfect.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Don't either of you get me wrong--I like Ridley a lot and wouldn't necessarily pass on him unless someone outstanding was there. I'm just saying even he has his marks against him. There's no perfect prospect at WR this year or even close to perfect.
Yeah, he’s not really physical enough for my taste, but I wouldn’t be upset if we took him because he has some great skills. I was just saying that I don’t feel his age is an issue, and it possibly could be an advantage.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Broncos acquire OT Jared Veldheer from Cardinals for 2018 6th round pick. Will start at Right Tackle. Next move, drafting Nelson to solidify the interior

Simba

Staff Member
Just tough sledding for the market right now, especially for the Ravens who love comp picks. I've said for years that this team needs to stop worrying about comp picks so much, but can't blame them right now. There's not a UFA left on the market that I'd burn a 3rd/4th comp pick to get.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Dez Bryant is released would you guys like to see him in a Baltimore jersey?
Anytime a guy can come in and immediately be our starter, I definitely don't have a problem signing them, especially since he would probably be pretty affordable. He has a good amount left in the tank as well. Wouldn't be a bad signing for a year or two to give our WRs we hopefully draft this year some time to develop.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Anytime a guy can come in and immediately be our starter, I definitely don't have a problem signing them, especially since he would probably be pretty affordable. He has a good amount left in the tank as well. Wouldn't be a bad signing for a year or two to give our WRs we hopefully draft this year some time to develop.
BuT hEs oLD. BuTLeR iS BeTTeR

RayRayRaven

Veteran

Dallas got Hurns for about 6 mil per year, which was stealin. If we could get Dez for that, yeah, have to give him an opportunity. Flacco needs a receiver that can do a "good thing". Not sure what Dez's good thing is at this point, but sticking with Flacco means gettin him guys to give him a chance. We Cannot have that low yds per pass attempt figure next year and expect to be above .500

The bad news is the Browns appear to be seriously eyeballin my guy Sam Darnold. We should trade Flacco and our Number One pick to the Browns for their number 1 pick. Now, we have to give more. That's just the way it is. But DeCost, I'm warning you, if the Browns snag my man Sam Darnold, the Ravens are playing to stay out of the division cellar for years to come.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I guess this still fits in the free agency topic because coaches are free agents as well but have anyone paid attention to The Ravens coaching staff moves lately?. I just recently saw that they hired T.J Weist to be their coaching analyst . Don't know much about him but I am intrigued that he has experience with running the spread offense and a uptempo offense as a offensive coordinator. I wonder if The Ravens plan to add more spread concepts to their offense and get back to uptempo offense like in 2013.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I guess this still fits in the free agency topic because coaches are free agents as well but have anyone paid attention to The Ravens coaching staff moves lately?. I just recently saw that they hired T.J Weist to be their coaching analyst . Don't know much about him but I am intrigued that he has experience with running the spread offense and a uptempo offense as a offensive coordinator. I wonder if The Ravens plan to add more spread concepts to their offense and get back to uptempo offense like in 2013.
Joe has always played his best in the no huddle/sugar huddle. Seemed the past two or three years they knew they were out manned and always tried to shorten the games which didn’t help a lot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Joe has always played his best in the no huddle/sugar huddle. Seemed the past two or three years they knew they were out manned and always tried to shorten the games which didn’t help a lot.

adding to this - our passing game was at its best towards the end of the year when we were in the spread offence - sometimes even with no back sets (danny woodhead lining up out wide or in the slot)... the ravens are always at their best when they spread the ball around to a diverse group of receivers who mesh well together - and we did that with one of the worst wr corps in the league

id absolutely hope that we run some more spread concepts and use a little more uptempo/no huddle - i think it helps flacco get in rhythm and he's so much better in rhythm

Tank

Hall of Famer
adding to this - our passing game was at its best towards the end of the year when we were in the spread offence - sometimes even with no back sets (danny woodhead lining up out wide or in the slot)... the ravens are always at their best when they spread the ball around to a diverse group of receivers who mesh well together - and we did that with one of the worst wr corps in the league

id absolutely hope that we run some more spread concepts and use a little more uptempo/no huddle - i think it helps flacco get in rhythm and he's so much better in rhythm
It was pretty impressive that they were able to do as much as they did in the second half of last season. If freakin Maclin could have at least just contributed they would have probably been in the playoffs easily.

Whole heartedly agree about the importance of rhythm. It seemed every time they were having some success a drop, penalty or some other screw up killed it.