• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
No matter how many times you try that square peg is not going to fit in the round hole.

Yes, the Ravens unfortunately did not get the playoff teams on their schedule late, they got them early when Flacco was hurt.

I'll say it again slower in case your missing of the point is not you closing your eyes and trying to pretend that reality doesn't exist. Flacco. Was. Hurt. Offense. Bad. When. QB. And. Top. OLINE. Player. Hurt.

Once QB got healthy the offense was great. When he was healthy they went 6-2 losing to the Bengals due to 9 drops and the Steelers in a game that not only did the defense blow (and Maclin), but also it managed to show the difference between healthy Flacco and hurt Flacco.

My primary worry is that I have no idea who the starter is at RT or C. They solve that problem to at least a reasonable degree and I think the offense ranks somewhere in 8-14 range. Solid but not world ending and with the defense that exists that is all that is needed
But didnt flacco throw an int in both those loses? let me guess, it wasnt his fault.. i agree with the RT and C. I do like the john brown signing.. when healthy he is most def a better version of torrey smith who can fight for the ball. I understand what youre saying, i just dont think flacco is a good qb.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
But didnt flacco throw an int in both those loses? let me guess, it wasnt his fault.. i agree with the RT and C. I do like the john brown signing.. when healthy he is most def a better version of torrey smith who can fight for the ball. I understand what youre saying, i just dont think flacco is a good qb.
You legit cant argue that Flacco didn't play pretty well during the back stretch of the season considering the talent he had around him. Like there is no valid argument. He played well when he was healthy. Accept it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
You legit cant argue that Flacco didn't play pretty well during the back stretch of the season considering the talent he had around him. Like there is no valid argument. He played well when he was healthy. Accept it.

He sure did, but people love to bring up the drops in the Bengals game while glossing over the awful pass BEHIND Moore leading to a pick 6 and the over throws that kept points off the board as well. You can blame Wallace for drops, but it's not his fault when he is open he's not getting catchable balls. People will pile on others to try and boost this guy when he has just as many faults as the guys they're trying to sling salt on.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
He sure did, but people love to bring up the drops in the Bengals game while glossing over the awful pass BEHIND Moore leading to a pick 6 and the over throws that kept points off the board as well. You can blame Wallace for drops, but it's not his fault when he is open he's not getting catchable balls. People will pile on others to try and boost this guy when he has just as many faults as the guys they're trying to sling salt on.

You mean the pass that a professional WR whose job is to catch the ball got 2 hands on and then bobbled into the Bengals hands? This is the pass we are talking about.

As an aside outside of drops my biggest gripe with the Bengals game is the fact that the Ravens didn't back off airing it out sooner. People forget but that wind was awful and was half the reason AJ Green was so useless.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i realise that's a critical time and game to throw a pick 6 but if flacco did one thing mostly well all year it was limit turnovers (that were on him) he was unfortunate a few times with tipped balls and receivers on the wrong page (especially early in the year) but he still kept the season's turnover total down to 14 despite all the bad qb play early on and the receivers gift-wrapping a few ints to defenders

flacco by no means had a good season but he had a good stretch to finish the season - even if it did come with a few errors in a limited few situations - but if the first half of the season had been played on similar form then those errors would have seemed much less narrative-worthy

there were a lot of factors that led to the ravens missing the playoffs - that's not making excuses for flacco but its not pinning all of the blame on him as well - i think its perfectly reasonable to think flacco played well and still made some critical errors at the same time - those 2 things (especially with flacco historically) are not mutually exclusive

jboy19

Pro Bowler

It is dishonest to say that Flacco is perfect, but it's also dishonest to say that Flacco hasn't routinely put the team in a position to win while other players have let him down.

Everybody knows that Flacco needs a supporting cast to play at a high level, but it's dumb at this point to say that he got overpaid and put all the blame on him. The price of even a marginal QB has risen rapidly and unless a team is hitting at QB every couple years in the draft (no team does), there isn't a long-term way to avoid those mega contracts.

If you want to blame someone, you should blame the FO for failing to provide even a modest cast for Flacco. As much as people like to cry regression, there's a pretty clear downward arch in Flacco's numbers as the FO has missed more and more often at WR and TE.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
consistentency is the only thing that matters! not one game nor the last 8 games! I remember last season a pic was posted on how stanley was the best LT last 8 games wasnt even top 10 this season

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you want to blame someone, you should blame the FO for failing to provide even a modest cast for Flacco. As much as people like to cry regression, there's a pretty clear downward arch in Flacco's numbers as the FO has missed more and more often at WR and TE.

or just stopped drafting them altogether...
since 2012 we have drafted only 4 skill position players in the first 2 days of a draft - of the 20 picks we've made as an organisation since we started trying to negotiate flacco's contract we have only spent 4 on giving him weapons: perriman who was a 1st round pick but has so far shown nothing, maxx who was a 2nd round pick who has been a good run blocker but has added no value to the passing game, crockett gillmore who was an ok run blocker but didnt develop into the pass catcher we hoped he could and bernard pierce who had a good rookie season as a change of pace back and then proceeded to never show anything again...

so not only is it the misses that are dragging the team down, tbh its the lack of attempts to find playmakers at skill positions that is pulling the team down - those picks would have been fine if we could find a couple more picks to spend on playmakers and improve the odds of finding a guy or 2 who would stick around and be helpful to joe for at least their whole rookie contract - the odds are stacked against any of these guys getting 2nd contracts (in fact the best bet is gillmore who is converting to tackle anyway)

and its not like we've spent capital on protecting him either... only 2 day 2 or higher picks have been spent on protecting him too... both have been great pickups but they were picked so far apart that they never even played together: stanley who looks like our franchise left tackle of the future and Kelechi Osemele who played so well he priced himself out of baltimore and is probably the best left guard in the league

but the overall issue is still a problem - less than a third of the day 2 (or higher) picks have been spent on offence despite the fact that we are paying a franchise qb and it would seem obvious that we would want to put that franchise qb in a position to win and maximise his talent...

this team just needs to take more shots on offensive players in the draft (im hoping and expecting this draft to redress the ratio a little at least) and obviously im ignoring contributions from day 3 players which you could argue is a bit disingenuous - but my point isnt that we havent drafted good players its that we havent taken enough shots on offensive players (and most dramatically skill position players) to expect flacco to ever have the tools to succeed around him - especially given the fact that we are never a top tier open cap space team who can go after premier ascending skill position talents in free agency

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
consistentency is the only thing that matters! not one game nor the last 8 games! I remember last season a pic was posted on how stanley was the best LT last 8 games wasnt even top 10 this season

So are you now pretending that he was not hurt the first half of the year and the moment he was not hurt he was CONSISTENTLY good?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So are you now pretending that he was not hurt the first half of the year and the moment he was not hurt he was CONSISTENTLY good?
he threw an int in every lost we had from what i can remember. Pick 6 in bengals game that costed us. Pick in steelers game that was a terrible throw! Flacco whole career has been inconsistent so him
Playing 8 games at an avg level means nothing imo

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
he threw an int in every lost we had from what i can remember. Pick 6 in bengals game that costed us. Pick in steelers game that was a terrible throw! Flacco whole career has been inconsistent so him
Playing 8 games at an avg level means nothing imo

As far as I am concerned when a professional WR, whose primary job is to catch passes, gets 2 hands on the ball if he fails to catch it it is 100% on him and as such that INT is 100% on Moore. Also average...one of the top scoring offenses in football, beating up on a highly ranked Steelers defense if that is average than man Brady, Brees, Jimmy, they need to quit because they suck using your metric.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
As far as I am concerned when a professional WR, whose primary job is to catch passes, gets 2 hands on the ball if he fails to catch it it is 100% on him and as such that INT is 100% on Moore. Also average...one of the top scoring offenses in football, beating up on a highly ranked Steelers defense if that is average than man Brady, Brees, Jimmy, they need to quit because they suck using your metric.
Highly rankee steelers defense? Lol

redrum52

Hall of Famer

So it's not a professional qbs job to hit wide open receivers in stride consistently, but wrs should make every awful catch just because they were able to reach behind and put 2 hands on the duck? Great point...

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
No matter how many times you try that square peg is not going to fit in the round hole.

Yes, the Ravens unfortunately did not get the playoff teams on their schedule late, they got them early when Flacco was hurt.

I'll say it again slower in case your missing of the point is not you closing your eyes and trying to pretend that reality doesn't exist. Flacco. Was. Hurt. Offense. Bad. When. QB. And. Top. OLINE. Player. Hurt.

Once QB got healthy the offense was great. When he was healthy they went 6-2 losing to the Bengals due to 9 drops and the Steelers in a game that not only did the defense blow (and Maclin), but also it managed to show the difference between healthy Flacco and hurt Flacco.

My primary worry is that I have no idea who the starter is at RT or C. They solve that problem to at least a reasonable degree and I think the offense ranks somewhere in 8-14 range. Solid but not world ending and with the defense that exists that is all that is needed

Then ravens should be a playoff team right?? Season is closing in. Easter is next Sunday memorial day will be here b4 we realize it. Then july4 is weeks away from preseason. Then no more excuses. Put up or shut up. Team wins or needs a major overhaul. Joe performs or its time to bench'em. You all checked off on Crabtree as exactly the receiver we need. And john Brown the Discount deep threat is touted as a major upgrade. So I'm sure management will add one more cap cut everybody will tout as so great. So with a so called upgraded receiver unit and an offense that was already so good the offense performs or its time to bench Joe if he is again a bottom 10 QB.

Every year its the same be. Miss the playoffs. Even hardcore homers agree we need a major upgrade. Somebody to build around and makes receivers around him better. Then settle for red tag special cap cuts with diminishing skills. Then maintain the team is already than fought. And make excuses for not making the playoffs while maintaining we made upgrades. So an already playoff caliber team with 2 "upgrades" at WR. Then we should be a playoff team. If not then no more excuses for Flacco and no more touting these cap cut "upgrades". And agree we need a legit NO.1 or bench Joe Flacco cuz he can't get it done with what management puts around him. And management needs to go.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
when did any of us say this was enough - i think the general attitude from the people you are referring to is that it's a reasonable start to the overhaul but it absolutely has to include more additions through either free agency but also definitely the draft

Crabtree was the best addition. Its a major upgrade or it's not. If he is the best management gets it was a great addition. Or a feeble attempt by management. My opinion its a feeble attempt to "upgrade" at WR. So if the offense blows and we lose 9 or more games then Joe or management has to go. We will likely pick up one more declining discount WR. That's 3 additions. Was it enough of an upgrade?? Or does management need to be thrown out on their arses?? Many here said crabtree is EXACTLY the WR we needed. If that's the case no more excuses for Joe Flacco. If it isnt enough then dont tout the upgrade. Its beating around the bush. Get the damn WR that can change the offense and call the crabtree signing for what it is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Crabtree was the best addition. Its a major upgrade or it's not. If he is the best management gets it was a great addition. Or a feeble attempt by management. My opinion its a feeble attempt to "upgrade" at WR. So if the offense blows and we lose 9 or more games then Joe or management has to go. We will likely pick up one more declining discount WR. That's 3 additions. Was it enough of an upgrade?? Or does management need to be thrown out on their arses?? Many here said crabtree is EXACTLY the WR we needed. If that's the case no more excuses for Joe Flacco. If it isnt enough then dont tout the upgrade. Its beating around the bush. Get the damn WR that can change the offense and call the crabtree signing for what it is.

Saying Crabtree is a good signing and also thinking we need to do more still to fix the wr corps are not concepts that are mutually exclusive - both can be true simultaneously

I am happy we have Crabtree as I think he’s a really good fit here but I’ll also be livid if he’s the last addition we make to the wr corps

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Saying Crabtree is a good signing and also thinking we need to do more still to fix the wr corps are not concepts that are mutually exclusive - both can be true simultaneously

I am happy we have Crabtree as I think he’s a really good fit here but I’ll also be livid if he’s the last addition we make to the wr corps
Yeah. Crabtree is a really good signing. But he's a #2. A damn good player... But a #2. If we are really content with him being "the guy".... Then I won't know what to think. I'll probably go nuclear.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Saw that the ravens are considering making an offer for Meredith. Maybe this is a silly concept, but does anyone think Perriman could be better if he played out of the slot instead of on the outside?