• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I don't really like Snead that much. I don't think he solves the receiver issues like Meredith could. With Snead I would still like Ridley in round1. Snead could maybe complement Meredith or Ridley. But WR would continue to be a need if he is the only receiver signed. Crabtree Snead and Brown don't inspire confidence. I think he overachieved and benefitted from the Bree's effect.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't really like Snead that much. I don't think he solves the receiver issues like Meredith could. With Snead I would still like Ridley in round1. Snead could maybe complement Meredith or Ridley. But WR would continue to be a need if he is the only receiver signed. Crabtree Snead and Brown don't inspire confidence. I think he overachieved and benefitted from the Bree's effect.
I like Snead but I'm sure Brees had a lot to do with his good years. That being said, I'd much rather have Meredith over Snead. I'd have a hard time believing the Bears won't match an offer though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Snead or Meredith would solidify the corps for me to want to focus on mainly TE and oline for the draft. I wouldn’t touch a WR not named Ridley or Moore until round 3. Snead is one of the most low key but best slot WRs in the Nfl and would be actually be a damn good scheme fit here
Thoughts on James Washington if he's available in around two?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wouldn’t complain but the second round is a sweet spot for TE. There’s 5 good prospects at the position this draft and we need to come out with one of them.
agreed, but tbh if its not gesicki i dont think i want one in the second, and i dont think hell be available.

i see goedert as a third rounder tbh

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
agreed, but tbh if its not gesicki i dont think i want one in the second, and i dont think hell be available.

i see goedert as a third rounder tbh
I like Goedert a little better than Gesicki and think he is gone at the top of the 2nd

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

I think wide receiver is still a need even if The Ravens signed Meredith instead. Both Snead and Meredith have experience playing in the slot. Meredith would give The Ravens a receiver with more outside receiver ability than Snead but that all depends on his recovery from his injury which looked pretty bad on tape.

Simba

Staff Member
Ravens brought back Willie Snead for a 2nd visit and tryout along with checking out Michael Floyd. I'd rather have Meredith, but believe Snead would fit here as well.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...r-michael-floyd-vikings-nfl-draft-free-agency

I think Meredith is the better player, but might be harder to pry him away from a team that also needs WRs and has the money to pay him if it came down to it. At the same time, you have to wonder why they only went with the low tender in the first place. Do they know something we don't?

I like Snead a lot though and think he might be the easier get. The Saints don't have much cap room and have a history of success of finding competent WRs. But like above, the question is whether Snead is actually good or just a product of that offense?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think Meredith is the better player, but might be harder to pry him away from a team that also needs WRs and has the money to pay him if it came down to it. At the same time, you have to wonder why they only went with the low tender in the first place. Do they know something we don't?

I like Snead a lot though and think he might be the easier get. The Saints don't have much cap room and have a history of success of finding competent WRs. But like above, the question is whether Snead is actually good or just a product of that offense?
That's what scares me. Saints find competent receivers and turn them into great ones but they can, and usually do, make a competent pass catcher from mediocre guy. That's not to say Snead is/was mediocre, he's a good one.

Tank

Hall of Famer
That's what scares me. Saints find competent receivers and turn them into great ones but they can, and usually do, make a competent pass catcher from mediocre guy. That's not to say Snead is/was mediocre, he's a good one.
Do the Saints “turn” competent to great or have they concentrated their resources(drafting, $, etc.) more to the offensive side of the ball? As a comparison, have the Ravens had a certain knack to develop great LBs and DL or is it more they have just concentrated their resources more to that side. Not saying this isn’t what you meant, more just want to emphasize that concentrating resources to either squad will generally help to improve all members of that group.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Do the Saints “turn” competent to great or have they concentrated their resources(drafting, $, etc.) more to the offensive side of the ball? As a comparison, have the Ravens had a certain knack to develop great LBs and DL or is it more they have just concentrated their resources more to that side. Not saying this isn’t what you meant, more just want to emphasize that concentrating resources to either squad will generally help to improve all members of that group.
Well most of our stud homegrown LBs and DTs late rounders and undrafted free agents, so it's not like we're pouring resources into those positions.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Well most of our stud homegrown LBs and DTs late rounders and undrafted free agents, so it's not like we're pouring resources into those positions.
Right, and wrong. The Ravens have always placed more importance on drafting, signing and retaining defensive players. 5 of the first 7 picks last year were defenders.

Who is the last WR that we gave a big long term contract to? Or FA WR/TE they shelled out big $ for? And what if the Ravens used more of those late round picks and udrafted FA signings on receivers, TEs, and RBs? Think it could be possible that they could have found more offensive playmakers? Referring to my original post, if you look at what the Saints spend it’s pretty much the same ratio, but tilted to the offense.

It’s obvious that the Ravens have historically poured more resources into the defense which has helped develop those late round guys and UDFAs.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Before extending it until the end of the draft, I believe 4/1/2017 was the original shut down day.