• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
He certainly has the stats. I like tall QB's though and don't think he has the stability of Drew Brees. Though he may even work out for someone. If you watch the QB's work out at the combine, Mayfield tends to not hit his guys in stride. They make the catch. Hes been throwing a safe ball they can corral. Not a fan of his shenanigans and if its my call I pass on him, put QB off another year (Unless we go for Allen) and take someone we can begin to rebuild with and wait til next year for a QB. (Not sure whose out there now though.) We are likely to get a very strong pick next year. Maybe as high as after 2015.
Unless our defense can play out of control, i also see us under 500 this upcoming season

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Id rather us be under 500 than to be 9-7 tbh
I don’t root for a higher draft pick, I root for my team to win the game, but that’s me.

Sounds ridiculous to say to the team in week 14 with two games to go, lose out men, we aren’t going to make the playoffs anyway, we plan on losing on the final play of the last game.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don’t root for a higher draft pick, I root for my team to win the game, but that’s me.

Sounds ridiculous to say to the team in week 14 with two games to go, lose out men, we aren’t going to make the playoffs anyway, we plan on losing on the final play of the last game.
even if we had made playoffs.. we had a 0% chance at winning SB. I want to win the SB and this past season we had no shot.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

My take on this is it surely isn’t worth losing a game on purpose when the wins are that high. When you are a 2 win team and have a chance at the first overall pick.. I’d hope we lose lol. There is also the argument of losing for improvement, a loss here for a win later. I will never root for us to lose vs Pitt however. In 2015 losing that game would have given us Zeke or Ramsey, but what’s more fun then reminding shitburg fans we beat them with Ryan mallet? I’m tired but that seemed coherent enough lol

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Could do a Raven's Anecdote, but here's one from the Bears.

Year's back the Bears were eliminated from the playoffs under Lovie Smith. They entered the last game of the season vs. Minnesota, 7-8, with no chance to make the playoffs. The difference that year between 7-9 and 8-8 was about 8 positions in the Draft Order.

The Bears played their starters and near the end of the game Brian Urlacher was inexplicably in and injured. The Bears won and drafted 19th. They took Shea McCellin. A loss and they would have had the 11th pick and Urlacher struggled the next year due to missing camp and was never appreciated/the same again.

You can root for your team short term, (To Win an individual game), or you can root for your team long term, (To establish a playoff presence). I prefer the latter. Some coaches prefer being perceived as not suffering a losing record. In the end, some believe, you have to honestly evaluate where your team is and what your ability to improve it is. Some coaches over estimate their influence to improve a team. That issue hits very close to home.

By the way, the Bears drafted Alshon Jefferey in the 2nd round that year. They did let him get away. The bears have really never recovered from seeking that win in 2012.

My take on this is it surely isn’t worth losing a game on purpose when the wins are that high. When you are a 2 win team and have a chance at the first overall pick.. I’d hope we lose lol. There is also the argument of losing for improvement, a loss here for a win later. I will never root for us to lose vs Pitt however. In 2015 losing that game would have given us Zeke or Ramsey, but what’s more fun then reminding shitburg fans we beat them with Ryan mallet? I’m tired but that seemed coherent enough lol

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer

Year's back the Bears were eliminated from the playoffs under Lovie Smith. They entered the last game of the season vs. Minnesota, 7-8, with no chance to make the playoffs. The difference that year between 7-9 and 8-8 was about 8 positions in the Draft Order.

The Bears played their starters and near the end of the game Brian Urlacher was inexplicably in and injured. The Bears won and drafted 19th. They took Shea McCellin. A loss and they would have had the 11th pick and Urlacher struggled the next year due to missing camp and was never appreciated/the same again.

You can root for your team short term, (To Win an individual game), or you can root for your team long term, (To establish a playoff presence). I prefer the latter. Some coaches prefer being perceived as not suffering a losing record. In the end, some believe, you have to honestly evaluate where your team is and what your ability to improve it is. Some coaches over estimate their influence to improve a team. That issue hits very close to home.

By the way, the Bears drafted Alshon Jefferey in the 2nd round that year. They did let him get away. The bears have really never recovered from seeking that win in 2012.
LMAO! WTH are you talking about? Intentionally losing games has never been and never will be a part of any successful franchise's plan.

You used to mix some decent and rational thoughts into to your otherwise irrational rants, but you are now fully in fantasy mode with your "campaign". But hey, if it's what you enjoy have at it. Who am I to say it's a bad thing. That's why they have the ignore feature. lol

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

Yeah, with nothing to gain, as in the Bears scenario. I don’t think it makes you a bad fan to hope for a loss, because you are looking toward a possibility of a more brighter future. For the long term picture, will your team be better off with the loss? It probably will. However, if my team has a possibility of making the playoffs, even if it is a long shot at winning a Lombardi, I just don’t have it in me to root against them.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yeah, with nothing to gain, as in the Bears scenario. I don’t think it makes you a bad fan to hope for a loss, because you are looking toward a possibility of a more brighter future. For the long term picture, will your team be better off with the loss? It probably will. However, if my team has a possibility of making the playoffs, even if it is a long shot at winning a Lombardi, I just don’t have it in me to root against them.
I didnt care if we made playoffs or not cause i knew we had no shot and thats all i want! When i woke up that day to put my bets in i thought i was dreaming when we were -10 lol.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
No one thought the Eagles had a shot to win once Wentz got injured. You never know what will happen. See 2012
well i betted with eagles throughtout whole playoffs except vikings game. Did same for with us back in 2012! In 2013 we had a well rounded team! This past season, the proof was right there. We lost to every single team that was over 500!

I didnt care if we made playoffs or not cause i knew we had no shot and thats all i want! When i woke up that day to put my bets in i thought i was dreaming when we were -10 lol.
I'm not sure there is a more ridiculous sentiment in all of sports fandom than hoping your team fails to make the playoffs, because you have no shot to win it all.

When Flacco was face down on the turf after his pick six as we went spiraling down to a blowout home loss to the Broncos ... which was to be our 3rd consecutive loss (losing to back-up QBs in our previous 2), conventional wisdom would have told you that we had no chance for the Lombardi. Too bad we beat the Giants, because we could have picked 20th ... instead of 32nd.

I mean - if we got roasted at home vs. the Broncos, how would be be expected to beat them at Mile High? Even if by some miracle we did, well, then it is on to lose in Foxboro.

Can I see (as a fan but NOT as a team) just as soon seeing your team lose the last game of a lost season, when a win might cost you 8 slots in the draft? Sure. But to root for your team not to make the playoffs because they can't possibly win it all is just stupid.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
LMAO! WTH are you talking about? Intentionally losing games has never been and never will be a part of any successful franchise's plan.

You used to mix some decent and rational thoughts into to your otherwise irrational rants, but you are now fully in fantasy mode with your "campaign". But hey, if it's what you enjoy have at it. Who am I to say it's a bad thing. That's why they have the ignore feature. lol

Never said "intentionally lose".

How many teams set for the playoffs rest their starters in week 17? Same concept...get ready for the "next game". For a playoff team, there's some Draft incentive...though not as much!

Last game of the year. Nothing to play for except next year, you rest your starters and take a look at your 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers to decide who makes the team / deserves more reps the coming year. That DID NOT apply to us last year. We had a game at home against a weak offensive rival to go to the dance!!!

But yeah, been an advocate of the complete rebuild for bout 3 years. Complete.

You're a crazy man Tank! But I know, believe me...missing the playoffs continually makes one crazy, just like you got! Makes your coaches nervous as hell too and makes your front office make bad decisions all the way around...draft...starters...coordinators....restructures...cuts...waivers. Losing kills a team. Its contagious...you have to find a way out. The Draft is one...

...Tank, imagine yourself on a boat at sea...gently rocking....gently rocking...gently rocking.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure there is a more ridiculous sentiment in all of sports fandom than hoping your team fails to make the playoffs, because you have no shot to win it all.

When Flacco was face down on the turf after his pick six as we went spiraling down to a blowout home loss to the Broncos ... which was to be our 3rd consecutive loss (losing to back-up QBs in our previous 2), conventional wisdom would have told you that we had no chance for the Lombardi. Too bad we beat the Giants, because we could have picked 20th ... instead of 32nd.

I mean - if we got roasted at home vs. the Broncos, how would be be expected to beat them at Mile High? Even if by some miracle we did, well, then it is on to lose in Foxboro.

Can I see (as a fan but NOT as a team) just as soon seeing your team lose the last game of a lost season, when a win might cost you 8 slots in the draft? Sure. But to root for your team not to make the playoffs because they can't possibly win it all is just stupid.
I dnt think i ever hoped for us to not make the playoffs. I simply didnt care if we did or didnt. Why did you bring up the broncos game? Or giants game? Our team that year was totally different and showed signs of life throughout that season.this past season we were Consistently terrible! understand we didnt beat not one single team that was over 500. Its not like we are the browns or jags and a playoff appearance wouldve been one of the few in our franchise history... we are the ravens, a team that has great playoff success other than these last 3 yrs! One and done maybe wouldve satisfied you guys but no way in hell i wouldve been ok with that.

I dnt think i ever hoped for us to not make the playoffs. I simply didnt care if we did or didnt. Why did you bring up the broncos game? Or giants game? Our team that year was totally different and showed signs of life throughout that season.this past season we were Consistently terrible! understand we didnt beat not one single team that was over 500. Its not like we are the browns or jags and a playoff appearance wouldve been one of the few in our franchise history... we are the ravens, a team that has great playoff success other than these last 3 yrs! One and done maybe wouldve satisfied you guys but no way in hell i wouldve been ok with that.
Why did I bring them up? Because that team was given virtually no chance of winning it all. Again - 3 straight losses, 2 at the hands of back up QBs and the 3rd a home game blowout by at team we'd have to face on the road in the playoffs - if we made it.

Its a revisionist review of the situation. Since we won it all, of course we had the ability to go all the way.

Would one and done have satisfied me? I don't know, but blowing the game when all we had to do is stop a 4th and 12 and end up missing the playoffs sure as shit didn't satisfy me.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Why did I bring them up? Because that team was given virtually no chance of winning it all. Again - 3 straight losses, 2 at the hands of back up QBs and the 3rd a home game blowout by at team we'd have to face on the road in the playoffs - if we made it.

Its a revisionist review of the situation. Since we won it all, of course we had the ability to go all the way.

Would one and done have satisfied me? I don't know, but blowing the game when all we had to do is stop a 4th and 12 and end up missing the playoffs sure as shit didn't satisfy me.
Ok but do you know that the 2012 team was much better than our current team right? Did you watch this season? In no way did we ever show signs of being a SB caliber team. Youre comparing individual bad games to a full season of terrible play.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok but do you know that the 2012 team was much better than our current team right? Did you watch this season? In no way did we ever show signs of being a SB caliber team. Youre comparing individual bad games to a full season of terrible play.

This years defense was way better than our 2012 team. Our OLine play towards the end of the year was turning it around kinda like our 2012 team did so the only area where the 2012 team was better was at the receiving positions. That is it. Do not oversell what the Ravens were in 2012. They were literally an average NFL defense and a slightly above average offense.