• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The other kind of Browns and The Guts

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
obviously PFF not the be-all-end-all

but they graded Justin Madubuike over 90 against the Browns - that's insane for a rookie DL against that OL to score that well by their metrics

i cannot wait to watch him on the all-22
He definitely had real nice moments over the LG in particular. Pass rush in general was better than I thought. Contain killed us along with more than a few holds by the Browns that went uncalled, including at least one on Madabuike

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He definitely had real nice moments over the LG in particular. Pass rush in general was better than I thought. Contain killed us along with more than a few holds by the Browns that went uncalled, including at least one on Madabuike

yeah I’ve watched all of madubuike’s snaps

I’ve actually got him for only 3 pressures not the 4 PFF is talking about but on the 3rd one it was a clear hold that wasn’t called

he honestly handled both guards - wyatt teller at RG seemed to be where he had his most exciting moments but there were also a load of moments where he controlled bitonio at LG who’s an all-pro

I really hope this is a sign of things to come because I saw him win with his hands and his quickness and his power against elite OL - it’s hard not to get excited seeing that from a rookie

but maybe I’m just over-excited because he’s the most “my guy” I’ve ever been about a guy we drafted

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
obviously PFF not the be-all-end-all

but they graded Justin Madubuike over 90 against the Browns - that's insane for a rookie DL against that OL to score that well by their metrics

i cannot wait to watch him on the all-22
that's awesome. Maybe you need to break down some more film on him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I’ve actually got him for only 3 pressures not the 4 PFF is talking about but on the 3rd one it was a clear hold that wasn’t called

he honestly handled both guards - wyatt teller at RG seemed to be where he had his most exciting moments but there were also a load of moments where he controlled bitonio at LG who’s an all-pro

I really hope this is a sign of things to come because I saw him win with his hands and his quickness and his power against elite OL - it’s hard not to get excited seeing that from a rookie

but maybe I’m just over-excited because he’s the most “my guy” I’ve ever been about a guy we drafted
I’m trying not to be overly partial myself, but he JUMPED off the screen constantly, 4 players were jumping off the screen on defense, Judon, madubuike, ngakoue, and of course Humphrey, everyone else struggled to the point that you could say they were trash.

and in the second half when Judon and ngakoue seemed to fall off a cliff, madubuike was still jumping off. I saw the pressures but what really stood out to me was his lateral work against the run, and he’s done this all year, he’s so dominant at controlling the front and getting East and west and squeezing the point of attack shut and he does it so consistently

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m trying not to be overly partial myself, but he JUMPED off the screen constantly, 4 players were jumping off the screen on defense, Judon, madubuike, ngakoue, and of course Humphrey, everyone else struggled to the point that you could say they were trash.

and in the second half when Judon and ngakoue seemed to fall off a cliff, madubuike was still jumping off. I saw the pressures but what really stood out to me was his lateral work against the run, and he’s done this all year, he’s so dominant at controlling the front and getting East and west and squeezing the point of attack shut and he does it so consistently

it's probably notable that madubuike timed faster than mayfield did in the 40 lol despite being 300lbs

saw lots of variety in his success which is probably the most promising thing - he won with quickness, he won with power, he won with hands, he held up against double-teams, he controlled blockers at the point of attack and he scraped from the backside

on one play vs zone he managed to penetrate through the b-gap and make the tackle on chubb at the line and i remembered it because on the broadcast you could literally here deshon elliott (i think it was) getting fired up about that play by madubuike

since training camp it's been pretty evident that the vets on this defence all seem to love justin madubuike - they all seem to get so hyped when he makes a play

good signs all-around

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

He was definitely your guy. I was just OK on him but pretty high on Blacklock. (no idea how he has played)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was definitely your guy. I was just OK on him but pretty high on Blacklock. (no idea how he has played)

dont think blacklock's done too much so far
all i know for sure is that he was ejected in the texans vs ravens game for throwing a punch lol
he's also got the added expectation of being the guy they picked with the deandre hopkins pick... whoops

i really liked that whole 2nd tier group of DL but you're right Madubuike was my guy the whole way through

it'll be interesting to track all the day 2 DL from this class:
from what ive seen/read this is how they've done so far...

Ross Blacklock - limited play, not a huge impact
Marlon Davidson - been snake-bitten with injuries so far
Raekwon Davis - sluggish start to the year but has come on strong the last few weeks
Justin Madubuike - has been solid and consistent as a rookie with some flashes
Davon Hamilton - solid but unspectacular start to his career - carted off a couple of weeks ago and went on i/r (not sure how serious it is)
Neville Gallimore - has occasionally flashed in limited playing time on a terrible defence
Jordan Elliott - had some rotational play at a deep position on the browns roster (behind larry ogunjobi) - forced a fumble
McTelvin Agim - don't think he's played much (not sure I've consciously seen a single snap of him)

right now it's probably a toss-up between Raekwon Davis and Justin Madubuike for who's had the best start to their career so far, everyone else is a ways behind

I still can't believe that game. Name a regular season Ravens game that was better? Chargers 4th and whatever it was to setup our Super Bowl run?

Name some others.

The Vikings snow game was crazy.

The kick six against Cleveland.

That game against Pittsburgh when Flacco had to make a late comeback td to Houshmenzadeh

rossihunter2

Staff Member
From PFF's team of the week article:

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
DI Justin Madubuike, Baltimore Ravens
Madubuike entered Baltimore's Week 14 contest against the Cleveland Browns with just a 60.4 PFF grade, but the third-round pick lit it up on Monday Night Football against the best offensive line in the game.

The first-year interior defender came away with a 90.4 PFF grade on 31 snaps and made an impact against the run and the pass. Madubuike recorded a couple of defensive stops on eight snaps against the run and won on 17.4% of his reps as a pass-rusher.

The rookie saw pass-rushing matchups against both left guard Joel Bitonio and right Wyatt Teller — who each ranked first at their respective position in PFF grade heading into the game — and Madubuike notched multiple pressures against each.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can someone explain to me what Peters was thinking by spitting?

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
The Vikings snow game was crazy.

The kick six against Cleveland.

That game against Pittsburgh when Flacco had to make a late comeback td to Houshmenzadeh

Week 4 2010. Too bad Housh had the big drop in the game that really mattered