• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Jags and The Playoff Scenarios

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
All of that is good but the Ravens who were 8-5 were "SUPPOSED" to beatdown a 1-10 Jaguars team. So, in my view, they didn't do anything spectacular per se but definitely handled their own business to get a needed win to advance to 9-5 and to stay alive in this tight AFC playoff race. Unfortunately, the Dolphins also won and are still keeping us pushed out of the playoffs with that last WC spot. Hopefully, the Raiders can drop them for us on Saturday night and the Ravens can get that "W" against the Giants to move into that final WC spot. So, with that being said, I'm taking this win with a grain of salt because the Ravens still needed to win out there games but are still in need of help from other teams. Something which normally doesn't seem to happen for the Ravens. Hopefully this season it does!
Agree mili, hoping the Giants can pull something out tonight, I prefer not to suffer another week of scoreboard watching (I watched the Dolphins and Colts and it was brutal) ...And the Giants have already blown some early opportunities, I can’t see it with Colt McCoy

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree mili, hoping the Giants can pull something out tonight, I prefer not to suffer another week of scoreboard watching (I watched the Dolphins and Colts and it was brutal) ...And the Giants have already blown some early opportunities, I can’t see it with Colt McCoy

Me too! Hopefully, these Giants decide to play some football and shock the clowns.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Don't worry. As long as we handle business one of the other teams is going to slip up. I guarantee it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's not been getting open much on the all-22 in recent weeks and boykin seems to have won back some favour

duvernay is not a route runner right now and we're not running many plays designed to get the ball in receivers hands early which makes one of his strengths (his run after catch ability) a bit redundant
Agree with this. Duvernay isn't a natural route runner or even receiver. You have to manufacture touches for him to be effective. And in a run heavy offense with other mouths to feed, there's just not a lot of opportunities for manufactured touches in this offense.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don't really have much to say about the game. It was pretty much what should have happened. I thought our secondary would struggle with injuries, and Jags have some pretty respectable receivers, but in the end, they're just a horrible team. Bad Oline, bad QB, bad defense. Just not much to like.

For the playoff scenarios, for me, it all boils down to Pittsburgh sadly.

Giants are a fraud just like I said they were. Overhyped by the media for going on a "win streak" where they beat one legitimate team. They got handled by the Cardinals, are going to get blown out by the Browns tonight (down 10 at the half and basically can't score), and they'll be largely out of the playoff picture. With the Browns playing the Jets next week, they're going to be 11-4 heading into week 17, and will likely play a Steelers team that may have nothing to play for.

For me, the biggest chances we have are in week 16. We need the Raiders to beat the Dolphins, or more importantly, we need the Steelers to beat the Colts. Steelers won't be in a position to rest yet, and that's the game we need. I don't think we can count on Pittsburgh or Buffalo in week 17, because they'll both likely have divisions locked up, and they both very well may be out of the #1 seed race by then. First year without a #2 seed getting a bye, and I'm not 100% certain what to expect, but my guess is your division winners who can't get the #1 seed aren't going to find much of a reason to try hard in week 17.

We need to take care of business, and I think we need either Vegas or Pittsburgh to win next weekend. If we don't, I see a TON of avenues where we go 11-5 and miss out, which would be a terrible shame. We'll finish with a better record than at least 2 or more NFC teams who will get in.

Simba

Staff Member
Don't really have much to say about the game. It was pretty much what should have happened. I thought our secondary would struggle with injuries, and Jags have some pretty respectable receivers, but in the end, they're just a horrible team. Bad Oline, bad QB, bad defense. Just not much to like.

Giants are a fraud just like I said they were. Overhyped by the media for going on a "win streak" where they beat one legitimate team. They got handled by the Cardinals, are going to get blown out by the Browns tonight (down 10 at the half and basically can't score), and they'll be largely out of the playoff picture. With the Browns playing the Jets next week, they're going to be 11-4 heading into week 17, and will likely play a Steelers team that may have nothing to play for.

For me, the biggest chances we have are in week 16. We need the Raiders to beat the Dolphins, or more importantly, we need the Steelers to beat the Colts. Steelers won't be in a position to rest yet, and that's the game we need. I don't think we can count on Pittsburgh or Buffalo in week 17, because they'll both likely have divisions locked up, and they both very well may be out of the #1 seed race by then. First year without a #2 seed getting a bye, and I'm not 100% certain what to expect, but my guess is your division winners who can't get the #1 seed aren't going to find much of a reason to try hard in week 17.

We need to take care of business, and I think we need either Vegas or Pittsburgh to win next weekend. If we don't, I see a TON of avenues where we go 11-5 and miss out, which would be a terrible shame. We'll finish with a better record than at least 2 or more NFC teams who will get in.

Yeah we're in a really tough spot. That loss to the Pats in particular could loom large. Should have beat them but we showed up so flat that night.

But as you said, there's no cakewalk with our "help" at this point either.

MIAMI:
@LV, @BUF

Who even knows what the Raiders are. Offense is good but defense is terrible. Could go either way, but I'd lean Miami with a more complete team. In a normal week, Buffalo should handle Miami, but they could be one of those teams that gives the starters some run before pulling them, knowing there isn't too much to play for.

INDIANAPOLIS:
@PITT, vs. JAX

The Colts are also an up and down team, but I could absolutely see them taking out the Steelers. They've been exposed recently and that's another really solid and complete team in Indy when they want to be. Jacksonville should be no issue.

CLEVELAND:
@NYJ, vs. PITT

Cleveland has been playing extremely well lately and if they keep it up, they should beat the Steelers in week 17. Obviously the Jets shouldn't stand a chance, but they somehow beat the Rams today.

Just a tough spot to be in right now. Could see all of the above teams dropping a game or none of the above teams dropping a game. Miami has the toughest schedule. The Colts and Browns each have what should be an easy win, and then we root for the Steelers in consecutive weeks potentially.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Yeah we're in a really tough spot. That loss to the Pats in particular could loom large. Should have beat them but we showed up so flat that night.

But as you said, there's no cakewalk with our "help" at this point either.

MIAMI:
@LV, @BUF

Who even knows what the Raiders are. Offense is good but defense is terrible. Could go either way, but I'd lean Miami with a more complete team. In a normal week, Buffalo should handle Miami, but they could be one of those teams that gives the starters some run before pulling them, knowing there isn't too much to play for.

INDIANAPOLIS:
@PITT, vs. JAX

The Colts are also an up and down team, but I could absolutely see them taking out the Steelers. They've been exposed recently and that's another really solid and complete team in Indy when they want to be. Jacksonville should be no issue.

CLEVELAND:
@NYJ, vs. PITT

Cleveland has been playing extremely well lately and if they keep it up, they should beat the Steelers in week 17. Obviously the Jets shouldn't stand a chance, but they somehow beat the Rams today.

Just a tough spot to be in right now. Could see all of the above teams dropping a game or none of the above teams dropping a game. Miami has the toughest schedule. The Colts and Browns each have what should be an easy win, and then we root for the Steelers in consecutive weeks potentially.

I completely agree. We started today with a total of 9 possible games to get just 1 to help us. Now we're down to 6. :|

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad

It's the losses at home to PIT and TEN that do it for me. Lamar throws the first game away, and the offense can't put the Titans away in the 2nd. Flip those two games and we're talking about their chances of getting the 3 seed instead of sneaking in as a WC.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

As soon as I heard the announcers said that winning out doesn't guarantee us a playoff spot, my mood completely changed. I mean, YAY, we won a game that we needed to win, but I was pissed with both the Texans and Patriots today.

Week 16 - I have no faith in the Raiders whatsoever. Their defense is hot garbage and I don't see Carr or Mariota making enough plays to win the game or just to keep up with MIA. As for the Colts, it REALLY, really depends on which Rivers show up. It's like Rivers has either a pretty clean game against the Steelers or a very ugly one.

Week 17 - I could foresee a situation that the Steelers will play their starters this week. Their offense has looked mediocre for WEEKS now. I could see Tomlin not "reward" them with rest. The Bills are a different story. Yes, they won't have fans, but I wonder if they want that #2 seed just so they can host a second playoff game assuming they and the Steelers win their games.

EDIT BEFORE CLICKING SEND: Steelers haven't even clinched the division yet. Assuming they don't clinch tomorrow night, they'll have to win week 16 or week 17.

Simba

Staff Member
It's the losses at home to PIT and TEN that do it for me. Lamar throws the first game away, and the offense can't put the Titans away in the 2nd. Flip those two games and we're talking about their chances of getting the 3 seed instead of sneaking in as a WC.

Not saying we shouldn’t have won those games, but at least those are to “good” teams. The loss against NE gets me because that is not a good team and we should have gone in and dominated.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agree with this. Duvernay isn't a natural route runner or even receiver. You have to manufacture touches for him to be effective. And in a run heavy offense with other mouths to feed, there's just not a lot of opportunities for manufactured touches in this offense.

he was always a project - it was obvious early in the year that they wanted to get him touches because of what he could do with the ball in his hands but we haven't seen much of that the last 4-5 weeks which means he's being asked to run actual routes and create his own space which is not where he's at in his career right now