• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Jags and The Playoff Scenarios

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we wouldve just been way better off if he hadnt said that....

i do wonder if snead's involvement as a receiver in the offence is inversely proportional to the explosion of the team

like when the YPA is higher and we're hitting chunks in the passing game that it means he's going to be less involved because the Ravens and Lamar read high-to-low in most passing concepts

but it would also be why in tight games where we struggle he comes up big for us as a receiver working right at the sticks

Geez you guys need to lighten up about Sneads comment. I get football is serious business but clearly he's making a joke. Nothing about him says diva to me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
JK Dobbins has been a gift to this running game because of how he allows us to effectively invert the running game concepts on the zone reads...

because he's a legitimate threat to turn the corner even if the defence plays decent assignment football it opens up so much more and makes the inverted veer a distinct problem because dobbins is explosive enough that you can't not pay attention to him

would be really interested to know through the season how much inverted veer we've run without dobbins at RB...

but it's also opened up these 2 back concepts - we saw the 2 pt conversion against the browns on MNF and we ran that same concept for JK's td against the jags (albeit with pat as the second back rather than gus this time around)

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes, we just need the Browns, Colts or Phins to lose one game and we need to win out.

Fins have better conference records so we need to end up with a better record

we have head to head against both Browns and Colts
Browns still play the Steelers so thats good. Go Shittsburgh!

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
We could see the Steelers and the Bills rest players which would hurt us a lot. We can go 11-5 and not get in if the Steelers and Bills go easy.

Simba

Staff Member
We could see the Steelers and the Bills rest players which would hurt us a lot. We can go 11-5 and not get in if the Steelers and Bills go easy.

The Steelers very well could with how much their schedule changed this year. I’m sure those guys could use a break, even if it’s half of a game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i do wonder if snead's involvement as a receiver in the offence is inversely proportional to the explosion of the team

like when the YPA is higher and we're hitting chunks in the passing game that it means he's going to be less involved because the Ravens and Lamar read high-to-low in most passing concepts

but it would also be why in tight games where we struggle he comes up big for us as a receiver working right at the sticks
It makes perfect sense honestly, Snead is a chain mover, and a very good one, but yesterday we were looking for chunks through the air.

I still think Snead should be used regularly because he’s the most reliable wr on the team flat out

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
JK Dobbins has been a gift to this running game because of how he allows us to effectively invert the running game concepts on the zone reads...

because he's a legitimate threat to turn the corner even if the defence plays decent assignment football it opens up so much more and makes the inverted veer a distinct problem because dobbins is explosive enough that you can't not pay attention to him

would be really interested to know through the season how much inverted veer we've run without dobbins at RB...

but it's also opened up these 2 back concepts - we saw the 2 pt conversion against the browns on MNF and we ran that same concept for JK's td against the jags (albeit with pat as the second back rather than gus this time around)
The ravens have struggled to stretch the field horizontally, our opponents have come in often with Tennessee’s gameplan or crowd the middle, and we haven’t countered that by passing wide, but dobbins has given us a field stretcher, we now have 2 guys who can outrun the front seven laterally and when we were handing off to Ingram we simply didn’t have that.

I hate to imagine this offense if the ravens did what we all wanted... and drafted Denzel mims instead lmao

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The ravens have struggled to stretch the field horizontally, our opponents have come in often with Tennessee’s gameplan or crowd the middle, and we haven’t countered that by passing wide, but dobbins has given us a field stretcher, we now have 2 guys who can outrun the front seven laterally and when we were handing off to Ingram we simply didn’t have that.

I hate to imagine this offense if the ravens did what we all wanted... and drafted Denzel mims instead lmao

i mean it's a bit of a false choice because we could have got both with a very minor trade up from 60... but it was clear we didnt want mims

and tragically that would have meant missing out on madubuike most likely

a more fun what if might have been what if we drafted tee higgins in stead of patrick queen

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean it's a bit of a false choice because we could have got both with a very minor trade up from 60... but it was clear we didnt want mims

and tragically that would have meant missing out on madubuike most likely

a more fun what if might have been what if we drafted tee higgins in stead of patrick queen
Yeah that’s kinda what I’m getting at lol, good thing we let Eric handle it lmao. Dobbins and madubuike was clearly the right move, they look like the most promising new players on the team

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's the losses at home to PIT and TEN that do it for me. Lamar throws the first game away, and the offense can't put the Titans away in the 2nd. Flip those two games and we're talking about their chances of getting the 3 seed instead of sneaking in as a WC.
While those are games we should have won, I also think those are good teams that I'm "OK" with losing to. The Patriots loss to me is just so bad.

I mean I guess the Cleveland loss last year was a "bad loss" too, but it was the first game I've really seen in the Lamar era where we played a clearly vastly inferior team and got pushed around and beaten. We've largely avoided the "bad losses" in the Lamar era. With Flacco, we were pretty much guaranteed a loss or two every year against an inferior team.

If you told me we'd go 12-4, with losses to KC, TEN and PIT, including one PIT loss with a COVID outbreak, I would have been completely fine with that. I wouldn't have been happy that pretty much all of our losses were against the best AFC competition we faced, but at least I'd understand it. Losing to a well below average team like NE, especially when its literally like the best year ever to play them, is disappointing, and it'll be what I think of when I think of the reasons we missed out (if we do).

While I'm largely hanging my hat on PIT beating Indianapolis next week, I did realize this morning that PIT clinches the division with a win tonight. I suspect they'll still play starters in week 16 without an outside chance at the #1 seed still, but I think that will fade as they get into week 17.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah that’s kinda what I’m getting at lol, good thing we let Eric handle it lmao. Dobbins and madubuike was clearly the right move, they look like the most promising new players on the team

i mean i was melting down in the draft thread after we spent our first 2 picks on a LB and a RB when 2 of my absolute favourite guys in the draft were still on the board and then we traded down lol

and then we somehow managed to get madubuike in the 3rd and my entire feelings about the draft class changed on a dime
and then we got malik as well
bredeson in the 4th
proche in the 6th

and a bunch of other interesting players too

my outlook completely switched based on that 1 pick in the 3rd round lol

Simba

Staff Member
i mean i was melting down in the draft thread after we spent our first 2 picks on a LB and a RB when 2 of my absolute favourite guys in the draft were still on the board and then we traded down lol

and then we somehow managed to get madubuike in the 3rd and my entire feelings about the draft class changed on a dime
bredeson in the 4th
proche in the 6th

Had a gut feeling the DL wish was coming true once they traded back. All of those guys in that tier were still on the board so figured they had to feel comfortable.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

bredeson in the 4th
proche in the 6th

That’s hilarious because I literally felt the exact same lmao

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Had a gut feeling the DL wish was coming true once they traded back. All of those guys in that tier were still on the board so figured they had to feel comfortable.

yeah bizarre - i thought they were all gonna go in the 2nd round especially when blacklock and davidson came off the board before 50 but then nothing happened

round 2 seemed to be about every position except DL

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Obviously Jacksonville sucked but I have to say that if you were gonna design a LB perfectly to deal with Lamar's skillset they would look something like K'Lavon Chaisson and Myles Jack...

both of those guys did well against the zone-read on Sunday and probably why Lamar was kept mostly in check on the ground