• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Jags and The Playoff Scenarios

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
If the Steelers lose out and somehow the browns lose to the jets, and we win out, do we win the division?

The Ravens were eliminated from AFCN contention with the 2nd loss to PIT (PIT was 11-0, BAL 6-5, PIT owned H2H sweep, would have 3-1 record against BAL+CLE in case of three-way tie at 11-5, BAL 2-2, CLE 1-3).

Last edited:

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Damn. just realized all our losses are afc.

Yep! We need either the Dolphins, Colts or Clowns to lose at least 1 game. We need the Steelers to be our hitmen and do the dirty work for us while the Ravens win their last 2 games against the Giants and the Bengals. However, those 2 games won't be a cakewalk either. Teams like those get amped up to play the spoiler and ruin other teams playoffs hopes and chances when they know that they are out of contention themselves. So, I don't believe the Giants or the Bengals are just going to lay down for the Ravens. I expect them to play and fight hard to beat the Ravens. I believe those men are sick and tired of hearing these sports analysts constantly saying that; "The Ravens have the easier schedule going down the stretch to make the playoffs (i.e. Giants and Bengals)" just disrespecting them in that manner cause I'm sick of hearing it myself.

Reactions: cdp

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
watching all-22 the last 3 weeks is really just proving how important OL is to Lamar as a QB - when you give him time in the pocket he's awesome with the ability to go through his reads - and when he gets time he seems to adjust to blitzes better too (and read and avoid and deal with them)

it's why, no matter how well the IOL has done down the stretch, I'm still saying IOL is the biggest need on this team next year - the better this OL is set up for the future the better Lamar is gonna be able to be
I’d agree here we need to get a C but I just hope the Ravens also agree. I always worry that they get their hopes up and expect a miracle from these late round OL and current guys on the roster improving.
I'm pretty happy with how Powers and Bozeman are playing right now - I think it would be ideal for this offence if Mekari was beaten out but ultimately it might not be a disaster if the starting OL for 2021 is Stanley, Bozeman, Mekari, Powers, Brown but I think to just let that happen without adding competition would be a mistake

bozeman gives us flexibility too - he's been great as a pulling guard but obviously does have that flexibility to play center if it allows us to keep our best 5 OL on the field - that being said I think we have to take a serious look at some of the potential 2021 C prospects in the class

that's not to say that someone who's not played C can't learn that in the offseason (as long as it's not stilted like this one) - look at how Mekari went from being a college tackle to the backup C in one offseason and starting by week 14 - it's not unfeasible that a high quality interior prospect couldn't learn to play C but obviously someone with the ability to play C straight away would be a great advantage

WR is a need but I think with the way Lamar plays it's secondary to great OL play - if we're satisfied that the players on the roster will give us great OL play in 2021 then by all means toss WR to the top of the need list
Pretty split regarding receivers and Lamar because yes OL is a big deal but we’ve seen Jackson make throws and the receivers not catch the ball. Boykin and Brown have both done it same with Andrews. I recall early in the year when Jackson was “good not great” that Andrews was dropping some balls he shouldn’t. I think you get the best player between the positions because you can’t go wrong but neither is above the other for me. They are both critical.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our fate is mostly in the Steelers' hands and I'm beginning to worry. That team looks awful.
That team is in the shitter! All that is needed now is for the Browns to flush the yellow turd down. If we are depending on the Steelers to win one of their next two games, I say we already don't make the playoffs. That team looks so bad, that I wouldn't take them over the Jets or the Jaguars right now.

Thanks for that. I was wondering what would happen if there was a bunch of teams at 11-5. We make it in any scenario I tried except, of course, if it's only a two way tie with Miami.

Interestingly it says that if both Miami and us lose this week but both win next week, we go through not Miami. It means we are both equal on conference games then, not sure what thr next tiebreaker is.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Thanks for that. I was wondering what would happen if there was a bunch of teams at 11-5. We make it in any scenario I tried except, of course, if it's only a two way tie with Miami.

The Ravens would win any tie involving CLE and IND. As you saw, they would lose a tie involving MIA, and they would also lose a tie involving TEN (which would require IND to pass them to win the division). I believe the latter scenario can only happen at 11-5 if TEN goes 1-1 while IND wins out (and BAL wins out, of course). Say, for example, TEN loses on SNF to GB, then wins in HOU to end the season, while IND takes down stumbling PIT and closes out at home against JAX.

It would not be terribly surprising, but it would be a disaster for the Ravens (similar to CLE winning the division). A team currently fighting for a WC taking a division from another team that holds tiebreakers over BAL just eats up one of the three available spots. The other downside of that scenario is that PIT's loss sets up CLE-PIT to be for the division. If PIT and TEN end up as WCs...well let's just say I'm very hopeful LV wins on Saturday.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Interestingly it says that if both Miami and us lose this week but both win next week, we go through not Miami. It means we are both equal on conference games then, not sure what thr next tiebreaker is.

Common games (NE, CIN, JAX, KC) which is also tied (3-2). Next is Strength of Victory (sum of wins of teams you've defeated). In the scenario where BAL and MIA go 1-1 with MIA defeating BUF, it would be very close. I think it's technically possible for MIA to win that tiebreaker, but it requires ~1-4 specific set of outcomes (out of 3^10 or so), and I'm pretty sure BAL would get another team's spot (CLE or IND) unless there are multiple ties (and even then I'm not sure MIA wins SoV).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens would win any tie involving CLE and IND. As you saw, they would lose a tie involving MIA, and they would also lose a tie involving TEN (which would require IND to pass them to win the division). I believe the latter scenario can only happen at 11-5 if TEN goes 1-1 while IND wins out (and BAL wins out, of course). Say, for example, TEN loses on SNF to GB, then wins in HOU to end the season, while IND takes down stumbling PIT and closes out at home against JAX.

It would not be terribly surprising, but it would be a disaster for the Ravens (similar to CLE winning the division). A team currently fighting for a WC taking a division from another team that holds tiebreakers over BAL just eats up one of the three available spots. The other downside of that scenario is that PIT's loss sets up CLE-PIT to be for the division. If PIT and TEN end up as WCs...well let's just say I'm very hopeful LV wins on Saturday.
Agree. There's all kinds of scenarios. That being said, the simplest...

1. Ravens win their next two games AND...
2. Pittsburgh wins a game OR Miami loses a game.

I mentioned earlier... I'm banking on the most "Browns thing" ever. They host Pittsburgh in Week 17 in a "win or go home" game. They win and they take the Division, they lose and they're out of the playoffs entirely. And it would be comical if they lost, in the most Browns thing ever.