• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Jags and The Playoff Scenarios

LSURavenFan

Veteran
I actually have a good feeling about Saturday's Raider/Dolphin game.

The fact that it's on Sat, means the Raiders will still be in the playoff race, no out of town scores that can change that. It's do-or-die for LV and I expect them to play well. Cross-country travel for MIA on a short-ish week also helps.

I'm starting to get a little nervous, not gonna lie. That being said, I just can't see 8 teams in the AFC winning 11+ games. Miami and Indy don't feel like 11-5/12-4 teams to me. As long as the Ravens hold up their end of the bargain, they just need 1 loss from MIA/IND/CLE, that's 1 of 6 games. Or TEN to lose out which may not be crazy, GB and HOU. I don't like to bet against Watson.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Right now either the Steelers are so bad that the bengals are better, or they’re gonna lose 3 straight and beat tf out of the Colts next week to end the tailspin

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I actually have a good feeling about Saturday's Raider/Dolphin game.

The fact that it's on Sat, means the Raiders will still be in the playoff race, no out of town scores that can change that. It's do-or-die for LV and I expect them to play well. Cross-country travel for MIA on a short-ish week also helps.

I'm starting to get a little nervous, not gonna lie. That being said, I just can't see 8 teams in the AFC winning 11+ games. Miami and Indy don't feel like 11-5/12-4 teams to me. As long as the Ravens hold up their end of the bargain, they just need 1 loss from MIA/IND/CLE, that's 1 of 6 games. Or TEN to lose out which may not be crazy, GB and HOU. I don't like to bet against Watson.
I do. They shit the bed twice against the Colts when we needed them to win. Fucking useless ass team/organization.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Those who were awesome Sunday, in no particular order'

Dobbins
The Offensive coordinator
Marquise Brown
The Offensive line

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right now either the Steelers are so bad that the bengals are better, or they’re gonna lose 3 straight and beat tf out of the Colts next week to end the tailspin
The Steelers losing to the Bengals is good for us. they will play hard against the Colts to right the ship.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Steelers losing to the Bengals is good for us. they will play hard against the Colts to right the ship.
They should have been playing hard last night and didn't. Now they're basically underdogs in my eyes in each of their last two games, and if they lose both, they may not win the division to begin with.

Plus, going into last night, they still had an outside shot at the #1 seed. If you're going to shit the bed in a game where you still have a path to a bye (which the Steelers probably need more than any other team in the league at this point) AND can clinch the division against an easy opponent, I have very little faith they'll all of the sudden figure out how to score points against defenses like Indy (very stout) and Cleveland.

I hope they prove me wrong, but like this team is quite frankly as bad as any team in the league right now. And that's not an exaggeration. Jacksonville is probably literally the only team in the league playing worse football than them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They should have been playing hard last night and didn't. Now they're basically underdogs in my eyes in each of their last two games, and if they lose both, they may not win the division to begin with.

Plus, going into last night, they still had an outside shot at the #1 seed. If you're going to shit the bed in a game where you still have a path to a bye (which the Steelers probably need more than any other team in the league at this point) AND can clinch the division against an easy opponent, I have very little faith they'll all of the sudden figure out how to score points against defenses like Indy (very stout) and Cleveland.

I hope they prove me wrong, but like this team is quite frankly as bad as any team in the league right now. And that's not an exaggeration. Jacksonville is probably literally the only team in the league playing worse football than them.

we probably should have taken it more seriously when they struggled to beat a practice squad team the week before they started losing

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
we probably should have taken it more seriously when they struggled to beat a practice squad team the week before they started losing

So true, but to be fair I feel like many of us have seen through them for a long time. When they were 8-0, I made a bet with a buddy of mine they'd lose 4. I said they're just as phoney as the patriots from the previous year. Looks like that's coming true. If they lose only 1 more we'll be in good shape. Can't lose both.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So true, but to be fair I feel like many of us have seen through them for a long time. When they were 8-0, I made a bet with a buddy of mine they'd lose 4. I said they're just as phoney as the patriots from the previous year. Looks like that's coming true. If they lose only 1 more we'll be in good shape. Can't lose both.

i mean i thought that was true but i didnt see where on their schedule these losses were coming from after they beat us

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I had a pretty good idea they were overrated going into that. Washington put the nail in the coffin, and last night woke the world up about it.

Like in totality they're not a "bad team", because you can't be 11-3 and be bad. But like they've had some major weaknesses for a few months now that people just ignored when they were winning.

To me, it basically looks like the entire league has their offensive playbook, and they've done nothing to change anything. Can stop their run game seemingly without trying, they have no ability to complete passes down field, and they just run short, crossing routes with receivers who seemingly all have the same skill sets. Like when the Bengals, who are easily one of the 2-3 weakest defenses in the league, are highly aggressive, attacking you, and confident you can't do anything to them, you've got MAJOR problems on offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I had a pretty good idea they were overrated going into that. Washington put the nail in the coffin, and last night woke the world up about it.

Like in totality they're not a "bad team", because you can't be 11-3 and be bad. But like they've had some major weaknesses for a few months now that people just ignored when they were winning.

To me, it basically looks like the entire league has their offensive playbook, and they've done nothing to change anything. Can stop their run game seemingly without trying, they have no ability to complete passes down field, and they just run short, crossing routes with receivers who seemingly all have the same skill sets. Like when the Bengals, who are easily one of the 2-3 weakest defenses in the league, are highly aggressive, attacking you, and confident you can't do anything to them, you've got MAJOR problems on offense.

i think it was chase young after they beat the steelers who said the Ravens "showed some things" about the steelers - and i wonder if it was play tendency related and an understanding that they wont punish you for being aggressive

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Make sound tackles, and understand bens not overthrowing coverage so don’t commit PI, they won’t make it past fg range more often than not.

they have one of the simplest offenses to defend in the whole league. It’s pretty insane actually how vanilla and non threatening their loaded wr corps is

rossihunter2

Staff Member
watching all-22 the last 3 weeks is really just proving how important OL is to Lamar as a QB - when you give him time in the pocket he's awesome with the ability to go through his reads - and when he gets time he seems to adjust to blitzes better too (and read and avoid and deal with them)

it's why, no matter how well the IOL has done down the stretch, I'm still saying IOL is the biggest need on this team next year - the better this OL is set up for the future the better Lamar is gonna be able to be

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Make sound tackles, and understand bens not overthrowing coverage so don’t commit PI, they won’t make it past fg range more often than not.

they have one of the simplest offenses to defend in the whole league. It’s pretty insane actually how vanilla and non threatening their loaded wr corps is

Look out next week for the Steelers to run their heralded "end around" to shake things up a little... ;)

Pulling out even one of those losses against the Stillers would have been really nice right about now. We'd be in the WC and 2nd in the Div. That first loss hurt the worst, for me. Basically put the Steelers 2 up in the Div.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
watching all-22 the last 3 weeks is really just proving how important OL is to Lamar as a QB - when you give him time in the pocket he's awesome with the ability to go through his reads - and when he gets time he seems to adjust to blitzes better too (and read and avoid and deal with them)

it's why, no matter how well the IOL has done down the stretch, I'm still saying IOL is the biggest need on this team next year - the better this OL is set up for the future the better Lamar is gonna be able to be
Agreed, I think WR has gotten up there in need because I’m starting to think our G tandem is absolutely legit, but you can’t always expect to be stagnant and stay competitive, bare minimum you need a quality depth piece, at best you NEED a starting C and swing tackle.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Look out next week for the Steelers to run their heralded "end around" to shake things up a little... ;)

Pulling out even one of those losses against the Stillers would have been really nice right about now. We'd be in the WC and 2nd in the Div. That first loss hurt the worst, for me. Basically put the Steelers 2 up in the Div.

It's worse than that. If the Ravens had won either of those games, there'd be a three-way tie for first (BAL/CLE/PIT all 10-4). The Ravens would own the tiebreakers over both teams (H2H sweep over CLE, record in the division over PIT*) and would be the favorites to win the division at 12-4, which will likely be good enough for the three seed --> home playoff game, and more importantly, avoiding KC in the div round.

Can't turn the ball over 3 times in a home matchup against your main rival. Fucking disastrous.

* - PIT/CLE game in week 17 would not matter. Assuming BAL wins out, and CLE+PIT win their other games, a CLE win in week 17 gives the Ravens the division due to H2H record. Even if PIT wins that game, they're 4-2 in the division, and BAL is 5-1 (PIT-BAL would have split H2H in this case). A hilarious tie would make BAL outright champions, no tiebreaker needed.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed, I think WR has gotten up there in need because I’m starting to think our G tandem is absolutely legit, but you can’t always expect to be stagnant and stay competitive, bare minimum you need a quality depth piece, at best you NEED a starting C and swing tackle.

I'm pretty happy with how Powers and Bozeman are playing right now - I think it would be ideal for this offence if Mekari was beaten out but ultimately it might not be a disaster if the starting OL for 2021 is Stanley, Bozeman, Mekari, Powers, Brown but I think to just let that happen without adding competition would be a mistake

bozeman gives us flexibility too - he's been great as a pulling guard but obviously does have that flexibility to play center if it allows us to keep our best 5 OL on the field - that being said I think we have to take a serious look at some of the potential 2021 C prospects in the class

that's not to say that someone who's not played C can't learn that in the offseason (as long as it's not stilted like this one) - look at how Mekari went from being a college tackle to the backup C in one offseason and starting by week 14 - it's not unfeasible that a high quality interior prospect couldn't learn to play C but obviously someone with the ability to play C straight away would be a great advantage

WR is a need but I think with the way Lamar plays it's secondary to great OL play - if we're satisfied that the players on the roster will give us great OL play in 2021 then by all means toss WR to the top of the need list