• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Jags and The Playoff Scenarios

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Agree. There's all kinds of scenarios. That being said, the simplest...

1. Ravens win their next two games AND...
2. Pittsburgh wins a game OR Miami loses a game.

I mentioned earlier... I'm banking on the most "Browns thing" ever. They host Pittsburgh in Week 17 in a "win or go home" game. They win and they take the Division, they lose and they're out of the playoffs entirely. And it would be comical if they lost, in the most Browns thing ever.

I'll take the "Browns thing," but man it would be so stressful. Pretty sure that game would get moved to SNF, so the Ravens would literally be relying on the final game of the season to make the playoffs (also, I don't trust to win against anyone right now).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll take the "Browns thing," but man it would be so stressful. Pretty sure that game would get moved to SNF, so the Ravens would literally be relying on the final game of the season to make the playoffs (also, I don't trust to win against anyone right now).
Agree. There's only a handful of games in week 17 where both teams have a vested playoff interest, and that's one of them. So somebody is getting moved to SNF.

Its likely either CLE/PIT, ARI/LAR, MIA/BUF, or GB/CHI. And there's some things that have to go "right" for some of those games to be moved.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d agree here we need to get a C but I just hope the Ravens also agree. I always worry that they get their hopes up and expect a miracle from these late round OL and current guys on the roster improving.

Pretty split regarding receivers and Lamar because yes OL is a big deal but we’ve seen Jackson make throws and the receivers not catch the ball. Boykin and Brown have both done it same with Andrews. I recall early in the year when Jackson was “good not great” that Andrews was dropping some balls he shouldn’t. I think you get the best player between the positions because you can’t go wrong but neither is above the other for me. They are both critical.

for sure im not gonna reach for one over the other but all things being equal id take the OL

i think we saw last year that Lamar can elevate a very below average receiving corps if he has time to work in the pocket and i'd say it's one of the biggest differences from earlier in the year to later in the year (in 2020) is that the OL is starting to give him more time in the pocket

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agree. There's all kinds of scenarios. That being said, the simplest...

1. Ravens win their next two games AND...
2. Pittsburgh wins a game OR Miami loses a game.

I mentioned earlier... I'm banking on the most "Browns thing" ever. They host Pittsburgh in Week 17 in a "win or go home" game. They win and they take the Division, they lose and they're out of the playoffs entirely. And it would be comical if they lost, in the most Browns thing ever.
The Browns will lose against the Steelers as Crossbar Parkey doinks again. Oh, they will still keep Parkey for the 2021 season.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
The Ravens would win any tie involving CLE and IND. As you saw, they would lose a tie involving MIA, and they would also lose a tie involving TEN (which would require IND to pass them to win the division). I believe the latter scenario can only happen at 11-5 if TEN goes 1-1 while IND wins out (and BAL wins out, of course). Say, for example, TEN loses on SNF to GB, then wins in HOU to end the season, while IND takes down stumbling PIT and closes out at home against JAX.

It would not be terribly surprising, but it would be a disaster for the Ravens (similar to CLE winning the division). A team currently fighting for a WC taking a division from another team that holds tiebreakers over BAL just eats up one of the three available spots. The other downside of that scenario is that PIT's loss sets up CLE-PIT to be for the division. If PIT and TEN end up as WCs...well let's just say I'm very hopeful LV wins on Saturday.

Yeah, I knew about the tie breakers individually but was concerned about how things work out in a 3+ tie situation. For example, and I suspect draft order has some different tie breaking procedures than playoffs, but in the 2015 season we lost to both Jacksonville and San Francisco. Those 3 teams tied in the final standings yet in the subsequent draft, we chose after Jacksonville (Ramsey) and before San Francisco (Buckner). I wasn't sure if something more complicated happened that negated some of the head-to-head results if we tied in the final standings with two or more teams. According to that playoff tracker, we're all good in any of the scenarios I checked.

Hopefully, the Raiders can take care of business after a long week and rid me of any playoff related stress early.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Am I the only who feels like we won't get in at 11-5 ? I know the odds are low ......... that this doesn't happen but the Steelers
suck now, the Raiders will not beat the Dolphins and I think the Bills will lay down the last game against the Fins

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Yeah, I knew about the tie breakers individually but was concerned about how things ork out in a 3+ tie situation. For example, and I suspect draft order has some different tie breaking procedures than playoffs, but in the 2015 season we lost to both Jacksonville and San Francisco. Those 3 teams tied in the final standings yet in the subsequent draft, we chose after Jacksonville (Ramsey) and before San Francisco (Buckner). I wasn't sure if something more complicated happened that negated some of the head-to-head results if we tied in the final standings with two or more teams. According to that playoff tracker, we're all good in any of the scenarios I checked.

Hopefully, the Raiders can take care of business after a long week and rid me of any playoff related stress early.

Draft tiebreakers are indeed completely different. That tiebreaker is Strength of Schedule.

More complicated things do happen (in a multi-team tie, H2H wins only matter if one team has won or lost against all the other teams), but the Ravens would still be ok at 11-5 (MIA+TEN would take a higher seed, but BAL would take a higher seed than CLE+IND).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Am I the only who feels like we won't get in at 11-5 ? I know the odds are low ......... that this doesn't happen but the Steelers
suck now, the Raiders will not beat the Dolphins and I think the Bills will lay down the last game against the Fins

i mean im worried for sure - but we've got 2 weeks where we only need 1 thing to go our way for it to be our playoff spot to take

and if we miss out then we'll be raging into the void

Simba

Staff Member
i mean im worried for sure - but we've got 2 weeks where we only need 1 thing to go our way for it to be our playoff spot to take

and if we miss out then we'll be raging into the void

I think the thing that sucks the most is that we've known for a couple of weeks now which team we needed to drop a game and they haven't done so yet. Had 12 games that could go our way and we're already down to 6. I like the odds but it's also really hard to count on them.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
I think the thing that sucks the most is that we've known for a couple of weeks now which team we needed to drop a game and they haven't done so yet. Had 12 games that could go our way and we're already down to 6. I like the odds but it's also really hard to count on them.

Gonna be fun when the Texans blow a game that could have helped us for the third time!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I knew about the tie breakers individually but was concerned about how things work out in a 3+ tie situation. For example, and I suspect draft order has some different tie breaking procedures than playoffs, but in the 2015 season we lost to both Jacksonville and San Francisco. Those 3 teams tied in the final standings yet in the subsequent draft, we chose after Jacksonville (Ramsey) and before San Francisco (Buckner). I wasn't sure if something more complicated happened that negated some of the head-to-head results if we tied in the final standings with two or more teams. According to that playoff tracker, we're all good in any of the scenarios I checked.

I think you're talking about two different things:

Playoff tiebreakers are different from draft pick order. Playoff tiebreaking procedures can be found here:
https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

For determining draft order, it goes by inverse of record (excluding playoff teams). If teams have the same record, they use Strength of Schedule to assign the draft order. The team with the easier schedule gets the better pick.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
6 consecutive games not going our way is believable, 12 consecutive games not going our way sounds almost impossible, like those are incredible odds

Simba

Staff Member
6 consecutive games not going our way is believable, 12 consecutive games not going our way sounds almost impossible, like those are incredible odds

But it could still be reality. And in that 6, two opponents are facing the Jets and Jags - the 2 worst teams in the league. I know the Jets just beat the Rams somehow, but you're still looking at really only 4 games left to potentially go our way.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean I think it depends on the probabilities of those games. I mean, quite frankly, pretty much every game has gone "as expected" if you consider the likelihood of who wins/loses those games.

Agree there should be a natural upset or two in there, and it still may happen, but it's probably not as far fetched as it seems when you consider the matchups.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
So of the 6 games remaining, the only realistic way of the Ravens getting in is the Steelers beating Indy or the Bills beating Miami, but if the Bills win this week and both Pittsburgh and Tennessee lose this week, the Bills will have nothing to play for in Week 17 as they will be locked into the 2 seed.

Simba

Staff Member
So of the 6 games remaining, the only realistic way of the Ravens getting in is the Steelers beating Indy or the Bills beating Miami, but if the Bills win this week and both Pittsburgh and Tennessee lose this week, the Bills will have nothing to play for in Week 17 as they will be locked into the 2 seed.

That's the scary thing. The Bills look like our best bet on paper but there's a very real chance they could have the opportunity to rest some guys next week.

Real hard to count on the Steelers to help us out with how they've been playing lately. We know the chances of the Jets or Jags helping us out are minimal.

Would be great if the Raiders could take care of business tonight, but that's as up and down of a team as it gets.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's the scary thing. The Bills look like our best bet on paper but there's a very real chance they could have the opportunity to rest some guys next week.

Real hard to count on the Steelers to help us out with how they've been playing lately. We know the chances of the Jets or Jags helping us out are minimal.

Would be great if the Raiders could take care of business tonight, but that's as up and down of a team as it gets.

it would be very considerate of the raiders to get it done tonight so we can all have a nice time lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
it would be very considerate of the raiders to get it done tonight so we can all have a nice time lol

Lolol so true. But also as unlikely as it is, the Raiders can still make the playoffs. They can't though if they lose tonight. Would he nice to see them try their best and get a win.