• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What Would You Do if You Were Ozzie?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I agree I don’t want to trade down in the draft. I want and up and coming coach. Teryl Austin would be my choice. I’m not a fan of McDaniels due to his huge failure in Denver. Sure he may have learned something, but he’s a B.B. disciple. How many of those have succeeded away from New England. So, who do you want?
It's a long shot but I would definitely explore all options to bring Jon Gruden.
If he is bent on staying out of it and although I think it's too early for both of them, I can see pluses in trying with either Detroit coordinator. Maybe Bill Callahan, from the entirely opposite experience spectrum.

Tru11

Practice Squad
this was more about mortgaging all your picks to go up and take the 1 qb at this point rather than the idea of taking a qb at all - if we were to get a jimmy g type in round 2 then id be ecstatic but i wouldnt want to give up all my picks for 1 qb when the offensive roster around him would be so weak and when he wouldnt play either

its not weak though.

its injury riddled, coupled with some knuckeheads and some coaches who dont know how to get the best out of their players.

we are using a scheme that does not suit the players we have.

flacco strength is his big arm , so having run a west coast offense that relies on short passes hitting receivers in stride is just retarded to say the least.
then you get vertical threaths rather then route runners with good hands just makes things worse.

these players seem to fit air croyell more or any vertical type of offense.

ironicially we now actually have the players who would have suited what cam loved to do lol.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
this was more about mortgaging all your picks to go up and take the 1 qb at this point rather than the idea of taking a qb at all - if we were to get a jimmy g type in round 2 then id be ecstatic but i wouldnt want to give up all my picks for 1 qb when the offensive roster around him would be so weak and when he wouldnt play either
I mean, the Chiefs gave up a first and third round pick to move up to 10 from like 26, wasn't it? I think you could manage a package like that to get a Rosen type.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean, the Chiefs gave up a first and third round pick to move up to 10 from like 26, wasn't it? I think you could manage a package like that to get a Rosen type.

They had to give up more than that. If not that's freaking robbery.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's a long shot but I would definitely explore all options to bring Jon Gruden.
If he is bent on staying out of it and although I think it's too early for both of them, I can see pluses in trying with either Detroit coordinator. Maybe Bill Callahan, from the entirely opposite experience spectrum.
Bill Callahan is a very good offensive line coach and not much else. Sure he took the raiders to the super bowl with Gruden system though. I’d rsther keep Harbaugh with new coordinators, than take him. Gruden on the other hand I’d be happy with. He’s a motivator and I used to see him coaching again, but not anymore.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I like rosen but i feel like he stares down the wr too much. Sorta like what cam newton does. Good thing is that it can be fixed

RayRayRaven

Veteran
I say he's a good HC in general because his earlier success wasn't just some fluke. And yeah, it's time for a change since the team doesn't seem to be fighting for him, and his coaching staff picks seem to keep getting worse. A fresh start somewhere else for him might spark the type of success he had early on here.

Also, if we turned down every single coach that has interviewed but not been picked in a single here, then we couldn't use any coordinator in the league. Seriously, a ton of them interview for openings every year. Plenty of good HCs likely didn't land the job in their first interview.

As for the draft picks, o-line is clearly the primary thing holding back the offense. trading down for possibly the best center in the draft, and a top five guard would be a gigantic difference. Someone like Price would possibly be the different between 3-4 and 5-2 right now.

As for playmakers, plenty of them in the NFL right now come from the second round. It's not like you're scraping the bottom of the barrel just because it's past the first round.

agree with blackraven. harball inherited a team with frosty all pros. most of his game decisions were gambles that rarely paid off. in 2008 harball was in the right place at the right time. we won't miss him at all.

that said, the problem is bigger and further up the food chain. harball has needed good players and he hasnt' had them for a number of years. heck we can't pick our nose in the 2nd round for cryin out loud! bisciotti needs to throw ozze a parade build a statue of him as big as a dinosaur, give him a lifetime pass to all ravens games home and on the road. and record it with the recorders office so any new purchaser of the ravens has to honor it.

we got secondary folks, most notably Jefferson, that make me puke. :puke: he can tackle some, but the passing game has him fuddled. we suck in the secondary, but for jimmy.

its time for the overhaul.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
As knee jerk as it may sound at the time, sometimes luck really favors the bold. Look at the Eagles and Atlanta (Julio Jones) and what it got them. Nobody remembers all the mortgaged picks anymore.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As knee jerk as it may sound at the time, sometimes luck really favors the bold. Look at the Eagles and Atlanta (Julio Jones) and what it got them. Nobody remembers all the mortgaged picks anymore.
They certainly did for a couple of those years on the defense with Atlanta. Trading up for a qb is much different than a wr.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Center isn't the issue though, Jensen has had a damn good season and with James hurst and matt skura/eluemenor bookending him. We need a starting LG, and a future replacement for yanda, billy price may be solid but I'd take a proven Ryan Jensen over him and would prefer a guy like quenton Nelson at LG.

And I'm cool with trade backs in any draft.
Price is still a top 5 LG in this draft. Possibly 2 right behind Nelsen. We can plug him into guard to start and then if we lose Jensen for any reason we have someone that can slide right over to center. And Nelsen probably ends up going in the mid first round, so he might be gone if we trade back. Though this far from the draft its really anyone's guess.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Price is still a top 5 LG in this draft. Possibly 2 right behind Nelsen. We can plug him into guard to start and then if we lose Jensen for any reason we have someone that can slide right over to center. And Nelsen probably ends up going in the mid first round, so he might be gone if we trade back. Though this far from the draft its really anyone's guess.
The odds of needing to take price in the first are slim. We'd be better off staying put in 1 and hoping we can land price in 2.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Wish we had the opportunity to grab Sean McVay last year. Now that’s a coach be said was going to be a great coach since he was the TEs coach of the skins. He’s an absolute genius.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the biggest thing is to accept and lower expectations and build an identity starting with the O line. The problem with this FO and harbaugh is that they actually think that with a bunch of unproven players and with our BEST players being only GOOD players compared to other teams best players can take this team far.

No it won't.

They need a new direction. it's become stale. our schemes are stale..we don't have any DOMINANT players.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the biggest thing is to accept and lower expectations and build an identity starting with the O line. The problem with this FO and harbaugh is that they actually think that with a bunch of unproven players and with our BEST players being only GOOD players compared to other teams best players can take this team far.

No it won't.

They need a new direction. it's become stale. our schemes are stale..we don't have any DOMINANT players.

i kind of agree with you - i want this team to be the best at something in the league - to have a unit that the media consistently ranks as the best - idc really what it is - it could be the dline, the pass rush, the front 7 in general, the secondary, the oline, the receiving options, the running backs, hell even qb - something

i know its a lot to ask to be the best at one of them but we so often break into the top 7-8 or even top 5 at a particular unit but never kick on and dominate - the closest i can remember in recent memory was t sizzle and doom when they went and led the league in sacks and doom broke the franchise record

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i kind of agree with you - i want this team to be the best at something in the league - to have a unit that the media consistently ranks as the best - idc really what it is - it could be the dline, the pass rush, the front 7 in general, the secondary, the oline, the receiving options, the running backs, hell even qb - something

i know its a lot to ask to be the best at one of them but we so often break into the top 7-8 or even top 5 at a particular unit but never kick on and dominate - the closest i can remember in recent memory was t sizzle and doom when they went and led the league in sacks and doom broke the franchise record[/QUOTE]
Yes that was 2014 when we went the the playoffs and lost two 14 pt leads due to not having a secondary, because of injury. If we win that game we most likely beat Indy and go to the Super Bowl.