• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What Would You Do if You Were Ozzie?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really don't like almost anything you said here.

First of all, Harbaugh isn't doing his job well - results show that. How is he good if this is true over 4 of the last five years? He was selecting (and more importantly - wasn't selecting, you know who) offensive coordinators and it's been painful to watch. The only good one dropped into his lap because Harbaugh wanted someone else, so that someone else recommended Kubiak.
Our defenses are mostly hit and miss since 2013 - when they play well, they can't sustain it. It used to be because single player gets season ending injury, everything just crumbles into gravel. This year it's even worse - after all the FA signings and draft picks in last two offseasons, we can't beat procession of rookie or career backup quarterbacks. Yet, Harbaugh gives full support to his defensive coach because why?

If he is still good, can you please explain why it's time to change things up?

I don't like head coach candidates you mention, either. Maybe Austin because he is obviously good defensive coach but I'm not sure if he's ready.

Two other guys I wouldn't touch. Patricia had interviews already and did not get a job - that tells me enough. All his deficiencies would be well masked under BB and I don't want to find out about them after we are the first to give him a job.
Vrabel (as a player) comes from a long line of teams I can't stand and I think he'd be a bad match. As a coach, sample is just too small to even consider him.

Draft choices I hate. We'll most likely have a high draft pick. I don't want to trade it down, then hope for playmaker in the second round. Again. Plus, we don't need a playmaker, we need playmakers, shitload of them.

So, nothing really excites me about the outlook you are proposing. It's really depressing. It pushed me because I can see our FO doing stupid shit like this again. Thus the rant.
I say he's a good HC in general because his earlier success wasn't just some fluke. And yeah, it's time for a change since the team doesn't seem to be fighting for him, and his coaching staff picks seem to keep getting worse. A fresh start somewhere else for him might spark the type of success he had early on here.

Also, if we turned down every single coach that has interviewed but not been picked in a single here, then we couldn't use any coordinator in the league. Seriously, a ton of them interview for openings every year. Plenty of good HCs likely didn't land the job in their first interview.

As for the draft picks, o-line is clearly the primary thing holding back the offense. trading down for possibly the best center in the draft, and a top five guard would be a gigantic difference. Someone like Price would possibly be the different between 3-4 and 5-2 right now.

As for playmakers, plenty of them in the NFL right now come from the second round. It's not like you're scraping the bottom of the barrel just because it's past the first round.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really like this. I’d be all for it. Who would you replace Harbaugh with?
I assume the duo from NE is staying there, right now I like the idea of either teryl austin or Harold Goodwin if we wanted an offensive minded guy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Who's Harold Goodwin?
The OC from Arizona. He helped resurrect Carson palmer, john brown and jj nelson came out of nowhere to become an excellent 2 and a dangerous speed threat, respectively, and Arians spoke very highly of him as a guy who will be a head coach one day

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The OC from Arizona. He helped resurrect Carson palmer, john brown and jj nelson came out of nowhere to become an excellent 2 and a dangerous speed threat, respectively, and Arians spoke very highly of him as a guy who will be a head coach one day
Oh Ok. Yeah I'd be fine with him however I doubt AZ will let him go xith Arians retiring soon.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I assume the duo from NE is staying there, right now I like the idea of either teryl austin or Harold Goodwin if we wanted an offensive minded guy.
I really wouldn't want the guys from NE. I think Josh is a great OC, but not a head coach. Patty is crazy smart, but he just doesn't seem like he has the personality to be a head coach. (Ik, neither does Bill, but he is an exception to every rule.) Teryl Austin would be interesting I would enjoy that. He has been denied an HC job 3 years straight through, it just makes me curious of concerns. I honestly had to google Harold so I can't tell you about that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I say he's a good HC in general because his earlier success wasn't just some fluke. And yeah, it's time for a change since the team doesn't seem to be fighting for him, and his coaching staff picks seem to keep getting worse. A fresh start somewhere else for him might spark the type of success he had early on here.

Also, if we turned down every single coach that has interviewed but not been picked in a single here, then we couldn't use any coordinator in the league. Seriously, a ton of them interview for openings every year. Plenty of good HCs likely didn't land the job in their first interview.

As for the draft picks, o-line is clearly the primary thing holding back the offense. trading down for possibly the best center in the draft, and a top five guard would be a gigantic difference. Someone like Price would possibly be the different between 3-4 and 5-2 right now.

As for playmakers, plenty of them in the NFL right now come from the second round. It's not like you're scraping the bottom of the barrel just because it's past the first round.
Center isn't the issue though, Jensen has had a damn good season and with James hurst and matt skura/eluemenor bookending him. We need a starting LG, and a future replacement for yanda, billy price may be solid but I'd take a proven Ryan Jensen over him and would prefer a guy like quenton Nelson at LG.

And I'm cool with trade backs in any draft.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really don't like almost anything you said here.

First of all, Harbaugh isn't doing his job well - results show that. How is he good if this is true over 4 of the last five years? He was selecting (and more importantly - wasn't selecting, you know who) offensive coordinators and it's been painful to watch. The only good one dropped into his lap because Harbaugh wanted someone else, so that someone else recommended Kubiak.
Our defenses are mostly hit and miss since 2013 - when they play well, they can't sustain it. It used to be because single player gets season ending injury, everything just crumbles into gravel. This year it's even worse - after all the FA signings and draft picks in last two offseasons, we can't beat procession of rookie or career backup quarterbacks. Yet, Harbaugh gives full support to his defensive coach because why?

If he is still good, can you please explain why it's time to change things up?

I don't like head coach candidates you mention, either. Maybe Austin because he is obviously good defensive coach but I'm not sure if he's ready.

Two other guys I wouldn't touch. Patricia had interviews already and did not get a job - that tells me enough. All his deficiencies would be well masked under BB and I don't want to find out about them after we are the first to give him a job.
Vrabel (as a player) comes from a long line of teams I can't stand and I think he'd be a bad match. As a coach, sample is just too small to even consider him.

Draft choices I hate. We'll most likely have a high draft pick. I don't want to trade it down, then hope for playmaker in the second round. Again. Plus, we don't need a playmaker, we need playmakers, shitload of them.

So, nothing really excites me about the outlook you are proposing. It's really depressing. It pushed me because I can see our FO doing stupid shit like this again. Thus the rant.
I agree I don’t want to trade down in the draft. I want and up and coming coach. Teryl Austin would be my choice. I’m not a fan of McDaniels due to his huge failure in Denver. Sure he may have learned something, but he’s a B.B. disciple. How many of those have succeeded away from New England. So, who do you want?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Would you guys try and make a trade for Jarvis Landry before the deadline so we don’t have to get into a bidding war next offseason? What do you think he’s worth?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Would you guys try and make a trade for Jarvis Landry before the deadline so we don’t have to get into a bidding war next offseason? What do you think he’s worth?
I mean we got a steal for Boldin for a 3rd and 4th pick so if Miami really thought they couldn't retain him for his price I could see a similar situation here. But I'm not sure if the FO would be willing to for half a season and not guaranteeing signing him long-term.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont agree with that - ill take the highest player that falls to us im not losing picks that could be spent on other offensive positions unless we find ourselves looking in from the outside in terms of talent - say if there's obviously 10 top end talents and we are picking 12 - that's the only time im gonna condone giving up picks

im not packaging together our whole draft for rosen because he'd have literally no one to throw to or have block for him next year...
I disagree because he'll go through his progressions and find receivers or extend the play. He'll make average receivers look good.

Tru11

Practice Squad

unless he agrees to an extension , he is not worth trading for.
this team is not a WR away from a SB run , so no point in paying for a 1 year rental.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
wait what? you mean give up a pick for a half a year of production to then watch him go in free agency anyway?
i dont want jarvis landry to begin with but this would be insanely stupid

Landry would be a great fit, but who will throw him the ball here or scheme him open? lmao

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I disagree because he'll go through his progressions and find receivers or extend the play. He'll make average receivers look good.

how many rookie qbs have ever made a below average receiving corps with a mediocre at best oline and uninspired offensive coordinators into a sustainable or even remotely half decent offence

no way you sell the house because the qb who comes in wont have a chance to go through his progressions and will not be up to defence play speed to extend the play every single down - also plays with different hash marks and wont have necessarily run a pro scheme in college... this is not to say they wouldnt play well but you're potentially ruining your ability make the most of their rookie contract because you'll waste a couple of years with no high picks to spend on offensive help to help the new qb out...

flacco might not be playing well but replacing him with a rookie qb doesnt solve the lack of receiving production, the awful pass protection the inability for receivers to get open over the middle - in fact it probably makes it more of a mess...

JAAM

Hall of Famer
wait what? you mean give up a pick for a half a year of production to then watch him go in free agency anyway?
i dont want jarvis landry to begin with but this would be insanely stupid
Why wouldn’t you want Landry?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
how many rookie qbs have ever made a below average receiving corps with a mediocre at best oline and uninspired offensive coordinators into a sustainable or even remotely half decent offence.
Going to say I only read this part, but Andrew Luck.

And I now read the rest and have to say- you don't NEED to start Rosen day one and if you think he's the future in 2-3 years, you take him now and let Flacco play as Rosen gets up to speed. Look at what the Pats are doing with Jimmy G. They spent a second round pick on him and he's rode the bench for four years. I bet they franchise tag him and wait until Brady retires.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Going to say I only read this part, but Andrew Luck.

And I now read the rest and have to say- you don't NEED to start Rosen day one and if you think he's the future in 2-3 years, you take him now and let Flacco play as Rosen gets up to speed. Look at what the Pats are doing with Jimmy G. They spent a second round pick on him and he's rode the bench for four years. I bet they franchise tag him and wait until Brady retires.

this was more about mortgaging all your picks to go up and take the 1 qb at this point rather than the idea of taking a qb at all - if we were to get a jimmy g type in round 2 then id be ecstatic but i wouldnt want to give up all my picks for 1 qb when the offensive roster around him would be so weak and when he wouldnt play either