• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is what’s gonna need to happen with or without JK. I’m really upset that we’re losing what could’ve been a ridiculous season, but I welcome the challenge, I think Gus shows up in a major way, and the work on the passing game pays off.

I believe in Gus and I believe in Lamar. Come on GRo, trust Lamar too please!

JAAM

Hall of Famer
With JK no longer on my fantasy team, other than Gus who is already owned who's the other Raven likely to be the guy?

I hate FF. Great team to shit. ^_^
This is why I draft after the preseason lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Let's not forget we did pretty good without JK in 2019. Our destiny depends on how well our Oline plays.
Yup. And with a shitty ass WR group

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe there is some storybook narrative in the works here. Leagues best rushing attack loses top running back threat, is forced to expand the passing offense for which they have been averse, QB8 lights the world on fire and brings home the SB.

Idk obviously all that is dreaming, but like maybe we make a larger concerted effort early in the season to become more balanced because of this

it would help that balance if we’d had any WRs at practice the last 3-4 weeks

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have there been any indications that Lamar got vaccinated? I see what’s going on with Wentz and really want to avoid a repeat of last years fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's most likely not going to.

Ugh, hopefully someone in the Qb room is vaccinated otherwise they are all subject to quarantine

Simba

Staff Member
Ugh, hopefully someone in the Qb room is vaccinated otherwise they are all subject to quarantine

Not a perfect science but you can tell who is and isn't based on who is wearing a mask on the sidelines. Some could be by choice, but it's a small handful I've seen so far:

Lamar Jackson
Gus Edwards
Justice Hill
Derek Wolfe
Brandon Williams
Justin Houston (was stated to be in the process of being vaccinated when he signed)

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
Having viewed the video of Dobbin's injury many times, the conclusion is that the injury was fated. Dobbins had to adjust for the ball and then Bozeman flat missed squashing the cornerback. The cornerback submarined right into the leg Dobbins planted to cut back. Horrific bender. Bozeman whiffed and Dobbins was half a beat slow in making his move allowing that closure. Both defenders were right in on the tackle. That drastically altered the Running Game.

Fate.

My takeaways:
1. We can win games with Huntley if he had to play. Not the whole season, but the ship doesn't sink.
2. We've got some pretty strong depth on defense that I think will really help us, especially in the front seven. I think we can rotate a lot of players and stay fresh.
3. Liked the way Warrior played, thought some of our "non starter" WRs played well (Duvernay and others).
4. Sean McVay and Matt Rhule are smiling somewhere seeing starters tear ACL's in useless preseason games.

I understand its the NFL and injuries happen. Guys tear muscles in non-contact injuries in camp. Its unavoidable.
Hits like the one Dobbins took last night, which will likely cost him the season, don't usually occur on the practice field. That's the argument against high-end players getting preseason reps.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Having viewed the video of Dobbin's injury many times, the conclusion is that the injury was fated. Dobbins had to adjust for the ball and then Bozeman flat missed squashing the cornerback. The cornerback submarined right into the leg Dobbins planted to cut back. Horrific bender. Bozeman whiffed and Dobbins was half a beat slow in making his move allowing that closure. Both defenders were right in on the tackle. That drastically altered the Running Game.

Fate.

OK, I don't draw the same conclusion though.
My conclusion is if he's not out there, he doesn't tear his ACL. That's my conclusion.

If you showed me a video where he plants on his ankle, and is untouched, and tears his ACL, then I'd agree its "fate", because that ACL was going to tear with almost any sort of movement, regardless of whether its practice, game, etc. In this case, the hit he took contributed to the awkwardness of his leg and the position it was in when it took the hit, thereby at least assisting with the injury.

My point is I don't think this hit would ever occur in a Ravens practice environment. It's only going to occur in a) preseason games or b) real games.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have there been any indications that Lamar got vaccinated? I see what’s going on with Wentz and really want to avoid a repeat of last years fiasco.

I don't think you'll have a "fiasco", i.e. a whole bunch of players missing a game. What you could have is select players, like Lamar, missing a game or two if they test positive again.
Also, as a non-vaccinated player, he would go on the close contact COVID list if he's deemed around somebody else who tested positive.
So if Justice Hill tests positive on a Thursday, and Lamar was deemed around him, they'll likely both miss the game.

Honestly for me, the biggest risk of not being vaccinated isn't that they'll actually test positive. It's that they're around people who also aren't vaccinated that could test positive. Lamar could theoretically miss many games this year just being in the close contact protocol, and never test positive himself (even though he already has, twice).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sure he can this close to having covid.
I think the official CDC "guidance" is you can get vaccinated as soon as you're out of quarantine.
However, if he got certain anti-body treatments as part of his symptom remediation, then they recommend waiting 90 days.

If the latter is the case, he basically won't be considered "vaccinated" for the 2021 season. He'd be looking at mid-November to get the first shot (assuming he hasn't gotten one), which means it would be like January before he would be considered fully vaccinated under CDC guidelines.

I don't know what the NFL policy is for "partially vaccinated" players.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens have cut TE's Tomlinson and Poljan. Leaves them with just three on the active roster (Andrews, Boyle, Oliver).

Will see what happens with Tomlinson. May be brought back tomorrow if they move Boyle to IR. Would think Poljan would be a PS candidate also.